Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

EPS/GFS is BS for second half of next week. Yea sure that Wednesday shortwave could cut into Manitoba but it’s not eroding the confluence over the northeast US. What most likely happens is it does cut, but then cuts off quickly and fills and we still have a trough overhead with the BZ over the northern mid Atlantic, primed for a secondary. Snow threat is legit through the 1st. 

Just bring some up north!

Cold snaps suck if one's switch has been flipped and they're all in on spring and warm enthusiasm. 

Still, a bit of over -circumscribed focus on Monday/Tuesday cold snap, when it really doesn't last terribly long.   

I suppose there's some novelty in challenging cold high temperature records.  Yeah I guess.. You know it seems the last 25 years of observed weather has been making a mockery out of records, knocking them down by obsolete margins, too.  Like, heat waves in the Pac NW that double the departure they just broke?   Record high of 94 goes to a new record of 119 and shit like that... Jesus. Like, how that can even happen without two suns simultaneous lazing. 

This cold shot on Monday, if it holds Logan to 32 and merely "shatters" the record by a single degree - that would be hidden face smack actually...  Cuz in a funny way, it's comparatively pedestrian.  My guess is the temp rises to 32.5 and keeps the day as miserable as imaginable in every dimension.. haha.

Wednesday may not be as bad it looks with early April sun pounding away on a d-slope flow. Despite the low hydrostatic heights, the air mass probably beats MOS in that look.  Some alleviation anyway..  

I agree that the warm sector at the end of the week may get suppressed given time.  It's not typically a good statistic fit for -NAO's over the western limb of its domain region, to also have warm penetration N of 40 along PIT-N NJ.  Assuming the NAO is being handled right -

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

29F in CON in 1966.

With bare ground idk if we do it. We're getting to the point where we have to tack on a couple on the 18z 2m temps wit sun and bare ground. 4/9/97 at CON was 29F but that had -20C 850s getting near the Lakes Region. On the 6z euro it's a good 4C warmer.

I'll say no records, but cold enough to be annoying. Gotta watch for an early, cheap 5z high as well if the CAA doesn't come in fast enough.

that was my exact assessment a moment ago - HA!

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Cold snaps suck if one's switch is flipped and they're all in on spring and warm enthusiasm. 

Still, a bit of over -circumscribed focus on Monday/Tuesday cold snap, when it really doesn't last terribly long.   

I suppose there's some novelty in challenging cold high temperature records.  Yeah I guess.. You know it seems the last 25 years of observed weather has been making a mockery out of records, knocking them down by obsolete margins, too.  Like, heat waves in the Pac NW that double the departure they just broke?   Record high of 94 goes to a new record of 119 and shit like that... Jesus. Like, how that can even happen without two suns simultaneous lazing. 

This cold shot on Monday, if it holds Logan to 32 and merely "shatters" the record by a single degree - that would be hidden face smack actually...  Cuz in a funny way, it's comparatively pedestrian.  My guess is the temp rises to 32.5 and keeps the day as miserable as imaginable in every dimension.. haha.

Wednesday may not be as bad it looks with early April sun pounding away on a d-slope flow. Despite the low hydrostatic heights, the air mass probably beats MOS in that look.  Some alleviation anyway..  

I agree that the warm sector at the end of the week may get suppressed given time.  It's not typically a good statistic fit for -NAO's over the western limb of its domain region, to also have warm penetration N of 40 along PIT-N NJ.  Assuming the NAO is being handled right -

It's still March Wednesday 

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

EPS/GFS is BS for second half of next week. Yea sure that Wednesday shortwave could cut into Manitoba but it’s not eroding the confluence over the northeast US. What most likely happens is it does cut, but then cuts off quickly and fills and we still have a trough overhead with the BZ over the northern mid Atlantic, primed for a secondary. Snow threat is legit through the 1st. 

Ya? I’ll bet against it at this point. 

13 hours ago, dryslot said:

Slightly below avg snowfall, Below avg snow retention for 21-22, Slightly better results from 20-21 for here, F to a D-.

Much better retention than 20-21 though still below average.  We're at 76% of my average for total snowfall, while last year finished just under 60%.  My worst 3-year period for snow was 01-02 thru 03-04 with 213.0".  Winter 19-20 thru now totals 204.3".  Average snow after 3/25 is 7.1" though it's extremely variable, ranging from zero (twice) to 37.2" in 2007.
SDDs:
20-21:  1,166
21-22:  1,457 thru yesterday
Average:   1,771
Median:   1,444
Highest:  3,835 in 07-08
Lowest:    557 in 05-06

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

29F in CON in 1966.

With bare ground idk if we do it. We're getting to the point where we have to tack on a couple on the 18z 2m temps wit sun and bare ground. 4/9/97 at CON was 29F but that had -20C 850s getting near the Lakes Region. On the 6z euro it's a good 4C warmer.

I'll say no records, but cold enough to be annoying. Gotta watch for an early, cheap 5z high as well if the CAA doesn't come in fast enough.

Especially WCI.

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

image.jpeg.db3895cacc2c59fc01d2a10fffd27158.jpeg

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

:lol:Love It! 

Good afternoon RI, WW. You may have to prepare for another ‘burn in hell’ reaction/comment. Anyway after the next few days we can always use the warmth. Stay well, as always …..

19 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I recall seeing Winterwerewolf hanging onto a threat and Mets had zoned in on the 03/27-04/01 period with a deep EC trough. Someone even posted all the op runs had it.. and George was posting images and very excitable. That threat vanished 

W still need to get through George's blizzard for this weekend. 

I haven't had a beer in 7 years.  It's been that long.  2015 ..it's 2022.  really -

I used to like Jack Abbey's ...micro brew located in Framingham.  They had this really indescribable silky lager that you would swear was about to finish sweet but didn't.  I guess they call that taste phenomenon 'overtones' ?     It was I think 8% abv so not huge but not light.   I just can't recall the name.

I had always thought of beer as tolerably bitter to me - best to gin and tonic then chase a sipper.  I never really truly fully "acquired" a taste for it. I got buddies ...well, used to.  We're all mid aged and not really as concerned with it.  They used to know beers and source and stuff.

A year later, a conscious, and in a lot of ways... unconscious made decision which swept a change through my life style.  I wasn't alcoholic per se. But I was living alone and didn't have any any 'natural buffers,' as a bachelor dude... getting toward 40 years ..blah blah.  I was out of shape and weird symptoms.  My doctor was kind of douche though.  Told me the amount was not causing my problems...   Then how come all of went away?  you know.    

Anyway, now I have friends that sort of heading the same direction or beginning to ... so it's really like I beat them out by a decade.     

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Long range Euro still spitting out an interior snow storm beginning of April 

The problem is it’s the long range…lol. The long range has looked good to great all winter.  It’s the short range up to go time that’s been the problem for most of us lol(you’re area being one of the exceptions.) 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Guidance is now CADing us for the 3/31 event today....figured it would trend into that trash....couldn't even get a nice warm sector out of the cutter.

Not for not but yup ... I said that this morning my self, that -NAOs over the western limb of the domain space don't typically correlate to well to warm sectors fisting to Montreal.  

Any warm intrusion at this time of year is autosuspect - 

I think the best 'protection' against miring misty rhea and/or general shit show is to just have the whole domain normalize to the point where the cyclone weakens and sort of ends up elevated like a broad disk at 500 mb.   Sometimes that happens in spring, too.  I mean it'd be self destructing into pancake days ...but at least it isn't a total prison nightmare in that option -

Looks like there's still blue bomb hope out there into the first week of April though.   Disappears quickly after that...but it aint over in the telecon/guidance tenors

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In fact, that's pretty close to getting it done in that longer range Euro.. huh.  I mean I wouldn't mention it but the canvas is in support so tfwiw -

Yeah I’ve actually been on the “first week of April” bandwagon for several days now on a period of interest. Despite the 3/31 system cutting, the blocking pattern remains supportive for a late season threat.