Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

35 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Several weeks ago, @Stevo6899 did predict that Chicago might end with 10" more for for the season than Detroit, when all said & done.

This storm, as currently depicted on the models, would definitely be the one to test that prediction.

Both Detroit and Chicago sit in as good a position as you can ask for with this storm this far out. 5 says out is an eternity in model-land.  It would take a miracle for Chicago to be 10" ahead of Detroit after this storm. But of course the season is not anywhere near all said and done at that point.

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Several weeks ago, @Stevo6899 did predict that Chicago might end with 10" more for for the season than Detroit, when all said & done.

This storm, as currently depicted on the models, would definitely be the one to test that prediction.

The gfs and Canadian are keeping the the low pretty weak, whereas the euro gets its sub 1000. Either way looks like the biggest potential weve had all winter with an impressive baroc zone setup and dont need a strong low as others have stated. The hp will definitely keep this from going to far nw. I like where chicago to detroit sits. I think once the noreaster moves out in a few days, models will hone in better on it.

12z ukmet is furthest SE, delivering the goods to indy through ohio. 

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Who is this stranger that is posting? B)

Figured I would slide on by and see how all was doing. Ofcourse this potential has piqued my interest. 

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

powerball and harry, thread has incredible energy right now

Nice lake effect event! Hard to beat a snowstorm in the city. The whole city is basically transformed from the landscape to the sounds which seem to vanish when the snow really gets going. 

And yeah GFS looking solid for alot of us. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Chief met at my employer being really hush hush with this, he even lowered pops on the 7-day this morning. One of our other mets is an open snow weenie so we'll see what he does.

Not sure where you work (didn't know you were a met) but I've noticed they are usually quite conservative in the extended forecast these days, at least DTX NWS. Way too conservative actually. Often not even putting in a chance of snow when they should (not talking this week, talking in general). Then on the other end of the spectrum you have those dumb Facebook weather pages that amass a huge following of the weather ignorant public and they start doing stupid things like posting op model runs a week out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

nice correction from 0z with the euro and liking where we sit, a northern fringe with prolonged lake enhancement solution isn't a bad fallback

Yep, these kinds of storms can turn out very well in the city proper even if heaviest synoptic band is south.

Yesterday's ensembles signaled that south may be the way to go.  I'm not putting much faith in the nw outlier GFS.

A few days ago models were showing a deep western trough and eastern ridge, with a torch surging north into the lakes.  Since then, models have gradually transferred energy from the west to the north... now too much pressing for Iowa.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

It's clown range of course but that is a pretty wide band of 2'+.   Few storms in this region have pulled off such a large area of 2 feet.  Typically it's an isolated pocket or a very narrow band when it does occur.

I wonder when the last time we saw these kind of totals involved in a setup where there wasn't really a wound up low pressure system.  Euro backed off the deeper low, but upped the totals. Just shows what the an open GOM can do.

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic