Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

Just some brief thoughts.

At the risk of jinxing this, I think we're getting close to being able to lock in a significant storm for somebody.  Would take a pretty epic model backtrack for that not to happen.  The bigger questions are where and how much?

I believe what will determine whether this will just be a big storm or a mega/top tier storm that is passed down through the generations has to do with where the main system tracks and how much overlap there will be between that and the initial snows.  If there's a nice overlap, then it *could* be something truly epic.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Just some brief thoughts.

At the risk of jinxing this, I think we're getting close to being able to lock in a significant storm for somebody.  Would take a pretty epic model backtrack for that not to happen.  The bigger questions are where and how much?

I believe what will determine whether this will just be a big storm or a mega/top tier storm that is passed down through the generations has to do with where the main system tracks and how much overlap there will be between that and the initial snows.  If there's a nice overlap, then it *could* be something truly epic.

Well said. 

Even if current forecast amounts were slashed in half it would still be a significant snow/ice for someone within the forum. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Well said. 

Even if current forecast amounts were slashed in half it would still be a significant snow/ice for someone within the forum. 

I mean, the 18z GFS didn't really have a great overlap and still managed to produce a band of 12-18".  Shows the kind of potential that we're dealing with.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

I remember him from Accuweather forums :lol: I just appreciated the fact he would post the Wx Bell Euro images when they were pay only.

I miss accuweather forums. Those were the good ol' days. Lol

9 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

I say congrats to I-74 and north in IL. 

Seems harder and harder to get that I-72 special in both Spring and Winter anymore here. Have already accepted rain showers for both thunderstorm and snow chances.

Still trying that reverse psychology that seems to work for some most of the time...... 

I feel for your area this winter. Horrible snow drought for most of Central IL into Central IN. The deformation zone of the low on Thurs could impact your area more than mine. Still days out. A lot can change. I72 gets way more severe wx action than here. 

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I miss accuweather forums. Those were the good ol' days. Lol

I feel for your area this winter. Horrible snow drought for most of Central IL into Central IN. The deformation zone of the low on Thurs could impact your area more than mine. Still days out. A lot can change. I72 gets way more severe wx action than here. 

I'll give you the I-72 area sans Sangamon County :lol:

Up to 2.6" after uesterdays surprise .5" of snow.

So ready for Spring, but then I'm sure it will snow in April.

• Haha 1

Hello friends.  I haven't been on weather forums in well over 8 years now.  Some are probably going to be mad I am back (sorry).  I started look up forums again around Christmas break.  I think my screen name at the old weather forum was WhiteLake or something like that.  I thought it would be fun to be back especially with the potential coming next week.

• Like 6

Definitely have more GHD II vibes with this one vs GHD I. IIRC GHD II initially looked like the 0z GFS with the main QPF/snow axis south of Chi metro (vantage point I'm speaking from) but still the fcst totals were fairly large given the long duration of overrunning/WAA up and over the baroclinic zone with the open GOM. That was then gradual north trend over like 48+ hours. I still remember nearly every Euro run would baby step northward along with other guidance. Not saying that is what's going to happen here but looking at some guidance and it has that early GHD II look. Guidance then trended to a more would up/trailing wave look up until the very last minute.

This GFS run, the trailing/main wave looks like it shears out as it ejects given whats happening across SE Canada. A slower trough/main wave is probably not a good thing as what's going on over Canada acts to suppress/shear out what eventually ejects and you just end up with a long duration period of good overrunning snows and not a wave that's able to eject and take off. A quicker wave would be able to get out in front more ahead of the big digging ULL moving into SE Canada

• Like 3

This GFS run, the trailing/main wave looks like it shears out as it ejects given whats happening across SE Canada. A slower trough/main wave is probably not a good thing as what's going on over Canada acts to suppress/shear out what eventually ejects and you just end up with a long duration period of good overrunning snows and not a wave that's able to eject and take off. A quicker wave would be able to get out in front more ahead of the big digging ULL moving into SE Canada

Slower/positive tilt/elongated final wave seems to be the trend the past several runs on most guidance. Still several days away obviously, but by the 0z suite on Sunday you’d like to see that trend reversed.

• Like 1

Yeah seems like models have really backed off a wound up final low and wave because of that slower ejection/positive tilt/elongated wave. I'm okay with a long duration overrunning event but still waiting for a nice wound up winter storm here. Seems to be difficult to get these days around these parts. What happened to those good GLC's? 

29 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Definitely have more GHD II vibes with this one vs GHD I. IIRC GHD II initially looked like the 0z GFS with the main QPF/snow axis south of Chi metro (vantage point I'm speaking from) but still the fcst totals were fairly large given the long duration of overrunning/WAA up and over the baroclinic zone with the open GOM. That was then gradual north trend over like 48+ hours. I still remember nearly every Euro run would baby step northward along with other guidance. Not saying that is what's going to happen here but looking at some guidance and it has that early GHD II look. Guidance then trended to a more would up/trailing wave look up until the very last minute.

Do you happen to remember what kind of amounts the GFS had for GHD II around this lead time (not necessarily for Chi metro but in the heaviest band?)

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

0z cmc was a good jump south. But it's about as trustworthy as long range nam. Going to be seeing a lot of wobbles north and south next few days

South but it did increase amounts compared to 12z and now also has a band ~2 feet.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Do you happen to remember what kind of amounts the GFS had for GHD II around this lead time (not necessarily for Chi metro but in the heaviest band?)

The old threads are still there it's just a matter of trying to find images still on there showing accumulations at this range. But IIRC and finding a few random images confirms it, amounts for that storm/the top end fcst amounts were not as high as what we are seeing with this one.

• Like 1

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic