Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The atmosphere just seems to be primed for snow.  It's been snowing here all morning, you wouldn't see this kind of stuff if just a front was coming through.  This reminds me of the PRE before TC landfalls.

Totally is like that. Not the first time I've seen that acronym tossed around today. Long Atlantic moisture fetch being tossed north towards an aggressive frontal boundary. 

• Like 1

The storm chases the convection on the hour 22 NAM and splits into two lows at hour 23. Then it takes until hour 29 for the western low to take over, but it's further east and 8 MB weaker than 6z. And moves east instead of north once it does.

This all likely happens because the trough shifted slightly east, which bumped the initial surface low just far enough east to where it could chase that convection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RDRY said:

The storm chases the convection on the hour 22 NAM and splits into two lows at hour 23. Then it takes until hour 29 for the western low to take over, but it's further east and 8 MB weaker than 6z. And moves east instead of north once it does.

This all likely happens because the trough shifted slightly east, which bumped the initial surface low just far enough east to where it could chase that convection.

Or it could be wrong. The nam has been erratic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

If you look at some of the QPF outputs on the mesos, there are some indications of a local qpf max in NWNJ or nePA. I have a hunch we might have a dual band feature with this, and Sussex/Warren might actually wind up with more thank Hunterdon/Somerset, which would sit in subsidence between bands. 

Yes.  Will be interesting to see where the western band sits.  Usually delivers goods with fronto/forcing and better ratios away from coast.  Can't read snowmaps verbatim.

Just now, MJO812 said:

All  the models do that

Yes true but like stated in the NE forum... we are in "grey" area now with models where we wait for the MESO models to kick in and help out with this... I think the RAP AND HRRR are becoming much more important to look at this point as well as the 3k NAM and etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Yes true but like stated in the NE forum... we are in "grey" area now with models where we wait for the MESO models to kick in and help out with this... I think the RAP AND HRRR are becoming much more important to look at this point as well as the 3k NAM and etc. 

We still have until the 0z runs for more changes.  It's not going to be big changes but places on the line for a decent amount of snow or alot of snow should watch.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Remember 83 like yesterday.  LFM was east of Hatteras.  Obs late morning had southeast wind at Hatteras.  High DP / moisture laden air mass being rammed into cold arctic dome.  Progress of snow northward was painfully slow.  Took 2-3 hours to get from Staten Island to Mid-Town Manhattan.  Once it started it came in like a wall.  Thunder snow lasted for hours.  Intense rates with large flakes. Storm was weak...made it to east of ACY and turned ene OTS.  Had 21" in Bayonne and that fell mostly in a 12 hour period.

Different setup than this for sure but was a classic nowcasting situation.

On February 11, 1983 I remember watching the slow advance from the law library on Vesey Street. I saw the curtain of snow envelope the Verrazano. I grabbed the subway to my office on 40th street where it barely started snowing about 30 minutes later. The edge of the snow really crawled.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JBG said:

On February 11, 1983 I remember watching the slow advance from the law library on Vesey Street. I saw the curtain of snow envelope the Verrazano. I grabbed the subway to my office on 40th street where it barely started snowing about 30 minutes later. The edge of the snow really crawled.

I was 14 years old for that storm and I can tell you that was the craziest thundersnow I have ever seen

14 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

What time we expecting storm to start down the shore? 10pm?

Would be surprised if you dont begin to see the radar blossom from south to north and begin getting event precip by 730.  Atmosphere is juiced.  Water vapor, radar, and mesos need to be the go to from this point forward.

I decided to ignore the 12z models after the NAM. Just went out for a glorious run in Central Park in the light snow. grass and bridle paths covered in snow.  Geese gathering on the ice, on the lookout for the Bald Eagle hanging out at the Reservoir. Reset me. We'll get the snow we get. 

• Like 1