• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

31 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

We don’t have straight up easy to see coming storms anymore 

It’s five days away … five. Expectations may be too high. 

We’re also saturated with too many model choices half of which are unstable performers. 

I don’t think I ever remember consistently weather charts being correct at day five 1980s 1990s 2000s or the last decade. 

confidence is high for a significant storm - If we stop at that, then models are going to nail it; they and the signals that we use all that were very well laid out. It’s gonna take time for this either come together perfectly or come together less than perfectly or whatever it does

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

What happened to the FIM, a model based off GFS initialization using GFS physics but with a hexagonal grid?  I weenied to that 5 or 8 years ago during hurricane seasons.

It probably got put in the same storage warehouse as the CRAS model. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s five days away … five. Expectations may be too high. 

We’re also saturated with too many model choices half of which are unstable performers. 

I don’t think I ever remember consistently weather charts being corrected day five 1980s 1990s 2000s in the last decade. 

confidence is high for a significant storm - If we stop at that, then models are going to nail it; they and the signals that we use all that were very well laid out. It’s gonna take time for this either come together perfectly or come together less than perfectly or whatever it does

Yea. Like whatever happens, models sniffed the potential days and days ago. I know weenies want BY results but still. Big picture, so far so good.

• Like 1

I’m not buying the east models at all (nam, gfs, icon). In my opinion there are several factors that favor the western side of the envelope.

1. The ridge axis is over Idaho, which i believe is even more west than the Jan 2015 blizzard. 

2. The ensembles are west of the op

3. This is the most important one, the Navy, notorious for having a progressive bias is west of all the models I mentioned above. The rule of thumb I use with the Navy is I straight up ignore all guidance east of it. If the progressive biased Navy thinks this is coming up the coast, in my opinion it probably is. In fact, a blend of the big 3 is west enough that even my area could see precip type issues. 

image.thumb.png.37958ecdec46230bac973d01fc30565f.png

• Weenie 4