Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

What a brutal way to cap off a brutally snowless winter.

BOS was robbed of futility 10 days later too....they got like 9 or 10 inches in the 3/16-17 storm when they were sitting on like 7 or 8 inches for the season before that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That was a rough first 10 days at Plymouth. I recall that one day that was barely above zero during midday with full sun and a biting wind. 

Afternoon high on 3/6/07 was -2 here, spoiled by a cheap 19° at my obs time the evening before.  The 8th was 7/-22 for the coldest March mean we've had here and the -23 on the 9th was winter's coldest.
Ten years later March 4 had an afternoon max of 2° and on the 11th the afternoon topped out at zero, setting the stage for the Pi Day blizzard. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'd love a repeat of St Paddy Day 2007. Just over a foot of powder around here.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS was robbed of futility 10 days later too....they got like 9 or 10 inches in the 3/16-17 storm when they were sitting on like 7 or 8 inches for the season before that.

Now that we are heading into a week long Jan / February thaw it's good time to reflect back on a fantastic 5 weeks of winter. 50 inches of snow, multiple below zero days, a gorgeous 12 inch paster,a top 5 blizzard and a comeback fluff bomb. Thaw days did lessen the impact but certainly one if the better stretches of winter. For another day at least can enjoy our deep winter look. Morning low of 2, crunchy snow, bluebird sky. A spectacular deep winter day.

20220215_091601.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Despite all that, I still don't feel that excitement. It seemed too easy to lose the snow. At least here. The actual snow storms themselves were great.

Had a couple of cutters in there (or pseudo-cutters like the 1/17 BGM storm) that kind of took the shine off that period despite the objectively good snow total between 1/7 and 2/14. I did basically have full snow cover since 1/7 though until the 3 days ago when it became patchy before being covered again 2/13....but there were many days it was just a thin icy glacier. Not a true deep winter feel.

Still, beats the hell out of December or any period from winter 2019-2020.

34 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Now that we are heading into a week long Jan / February thaw it's good time to reflect back on a fantastic 5 weeks of winter. 50 inches of snow, multiple below zero days, a gorgeous 12 inch paster,a top 5 blizzard and a comeback fluff bomb. Thaw days did lessen the impact but certainly one if the better stretches of winter. For another day at least can enjoy our deep winter look. Morning low of 2, crunchy snow, bluebird sky. A spectacular deep winter day.

20220215_091601.jpg

Sounds like Quebec province . Special place 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Despite all that, I still don't feel that excitement. It seemed too easy to lose the snow. At least here. The actual snow storms themselves were great.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had a couple of cutters in there (or pseudo-cutters like the 1/17 BGM storm) that kind of took the shine off that period despite the objectively good snow total between 1/7 and 2/14. I did basically have full snow cover since 1/7 though until the 3 days ago when it became patchy before being covered again 2/13....but there were many days it was just a thin icy glacier. Not a true deep winter feel.

Still kept cover until Saturdays torch but it was only hours later it was refilled. I have zero complaints. Been lucky as hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember getting up for  a flight around 3/6....was about 5 at Logan.   Coming back from overseas on probably one of the last flight n as the 3/16-17 storm was getting getting going breaking my streak of missing storms but also robbing BOS of futility.   

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for sure. I'd take this in heartbeat over those. Coverage is usually better in any direction from here lol. Just an exposed spot.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS looks like it has a -EPO/+PNA dominating the pattern as we go into the end of February and into early March. So that would be the next period to look for a threat. The next 7 days looks largely mild....though cannot rule out something more wintry for NNE early next week.

What about the GEFs ...

The EPS mean has been more unstable imho.    Having said that, the GEFs looks like it has a -EPO/+PNA dominating the pattern as we go into the end of February and into early March. So that would be the next period look for a threat -  LOL

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What about the GEFs ...

The EPS mean has been more unstable imho.    Having said that, the GEFs looks like it has a -EPO/+PNA dominating the pattern as we go into the end of February and into early March. So that would be the next period look for a threat -  LOL

Yeah true...lol....GEFS has been largely better than the EPS for the past 6-8 weeks. EPS did catch this mid-Feb warmup better IMHO, but outside of that, it's not been its usual dominant self (echoing our criticism of the OP run this winter)

• Like 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

Trails were thin in a lot of spots up around Stinson lake.... Surprising, considering how much snow OTG.

Trails are cement around here, Suppose to head back north saturday but need to see the damage after thursday plus i have a bad bearing or bushing in the rear of the skid i need to figure out if its a wheel idler or the one at the rear of the skid for the track on the right side as i could hear it the last time i rode.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Trails are cement around here, Suppose to head back north saturday but need to see the damage after thursday plus i have a bad bearing or bushing in the rear of the skid i need to figure out if its a wheel idler or the one at the rear of the skid for the track on the right side as i could hear it the last time i rode.

We mistakenly went for a ride Sunday.  Solid ice made it unpleasant most of the time and then a couple of sleds had overheating issues.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Worried....headed to Errol on Monday morning for the week. My parents rent the farm house next to the Buffalo/elk farm for 17 of us ages 18-74! . I hope to spend more money on fuel but looking like more whiskey:D

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This winter just sucks a little less then last winter.

Snowfall 7.6" BN as of today with grim prospects for more thru the middle of next week.  After a cold January with snow about average, February has been quite the rollercoaster, with days ranging from 17° BN to 22° AN.  Yesterday's 8° BN left the month's average at +4.9.  By Saturday morning it may be +6.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd take 2019-2020 over this winter....god's honest truth.

• Like 1

The last couple of pages of this thread reinforce how fascinatingly diverse the climate is in these parts.  Always amazed how 30-50 miles can result in people having a spirited debate over a good vs a bad winter.  

We're overdue for a big March - here's hoping it can deliver this year for everyone and help everyone finish on an up note.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah true...lol....GEFS has been largely better than the EPS for the past 6-8 weeks. EPS did catch this mid-Feb warmup better IMHO, but outside of that, it's not been its usual dominant self (echoing our criticism of the OP run this winter)

And honestly ( imho ) the verdict is still out on how warm this warm up is going to be.   The warm up appears to be more of the single warm sector shots now, as opposed to those unabated ridge expansions.  If it is kept to the former, I feel sort of meh about any EPS accomplishment there.  It seems the Euro cluster was pretty close to the larger ridge expression, and that's not likely to occur.  

The PNA over the long haul appears to be +1 --> -.5 --> +1 ...  and during that middle range ( this next 7 to 10 days), we see a couple of warm sectors kept briefer by virtue of a very fast hemisphere not allowing any regime to stick around all that long...   ?  That seems to fit seasonal trend anyway.

By the way... no one asked me but the end of the week seems lesser and lesser like a 'cutter'  It looks more and more like it's just a big powerful cold front.  not that it matters -

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Absolutely.

This one (so far) is one of the worst in memory for me.  Even 2011-2012 at least had the Octobomb here

That season had the big December dump, then a lot of warmth. Lots of useless cold with a real dearth of snow this year. Much different story SE, though.

• Like 1