Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Well that means it was plowed by the 9th. So that means you had to suffer through three whole days. Just how much toilet paper, bread and milk does it take to get through 3 days?

Not much. I agree with your main point, just quibbling about your claim on how long we can get stranded.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stormy said:

The one harsh reality that many seem to ignore is that an ice storm creates suffering and misery for millions.  The terrible results takes years to recover from.

Minor ice is a nuisance except for the many who suffer inconvenience.

Major ice cripples the communities affected.

I don’t think you have to worry about your community taking years to recover from the great frontal passage of February 4, 2022.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Lol yea. Been in the grocery industry for almost 30 years and it's insanity.  

With our supply chain being on a razors thin edge it doesn't take much for us to not have any chicken in the case for a week now unfortunately. 

In Shepherdstown, roughly 2008 or so, there was a lovely spring day when I went into the Food Lion there for a quick 5pm grab veggies for dinner, and the produce dept was pretty much empty. Like, nothing. It looked when I went to Harris Teeter just before they closed on the eve of Snowmageddon, but only in produce. The rest of the store was fine.

The produce manager went on vacation. No one did the order while they were gone. I bought a veggie tray so that I could make dinner. People don't realize how razor thin those margins are. Hope you get the chicken soon.

• Like 2

I love snow and would prefer a nice cold powder bomb but I also love anomalous winter weather.  Id take what the 18z gfs is selling in a heartbeat.  Not too often you see an event unfold like that around here.  

18z GEFS compared to 12z.  Better cold press on the mean and more ind members fell in line with the op.

479424869_ScreenShot2022-01-31at6_31_09PM.thumb.png.727d24f6ecc7f33572ed4b36ad229e4d.png

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I love snow and would prefer a nice cold powder bomb but I also love anomalous winter weather.  Id take what the 18z gfs is selling in a heartbeat.  Not too often you see an event unfold like that around here.  

18z GEFS compared to 12z.  Better cold press on the mean and more ind members fell in line with the op.

479424869_ScreenShot2022-01-31at6_31_09PM.thumb.png.727d24f6ecc7f33572ed4b36ad229e4d.png

Would be cool to go in reverse order compared to what we are accustomed to.

Zr - sleet- then end with some snow. 

35 minutes ago, snowfan said:

The superior sub on this board, New England, already has a thread. I’m thinking we need one soon.

Why? I’m really curious as to why.

They have a climate where they could literally start weekly threads knowing that it’s likely to snow. And this is a 1000 times more of a threat for them than us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Why? I’m really curious as to why.

They have a climate where they could literally start weekly threads knowing that it’s likely to snow. And this is a 1000 times more of a threat for them than us.

I actually don't know why they would have a thread and be so anxious to talk about something that happens weekly and isn't special to them like it is around here.  To northerners, snow can become annoying, commonplace.  Here, it's like that unicorn that brings a giddy feeling inside your gut.  But above all, whether or not we start a thread, won't change any outcomes to our weather. Something I KNOW you all know but just felt the need to point out.  Now, let's start this thing!:D

42 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I don’t think you have to worry about your community taking years to recover from the great frontal passage of February 4, 2022.

I agree, unless the 12z GFS tomorrow sustains, what we are looking at now is NONSENSE.

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

1644040800-BZWioTrxU48.png

1644040800-mA3Ec9EWOzk.png

1644040800-dEkHvVhhhwg.png

Per the GPS, NW of Staunton I am fringed on snow and sleet and expecting .35" qpf of freezing rain (which verifies as often as I hit the Powerball). 

Can I pass?

eta: I hope northern areas that have been fringed earlier this winter get destroyed with snow, and ice (if you like ice)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

18z euro I guess was slightly faster with the cold press but not by a lot and it’s still pretty much rain for all at hour 90 except for far western MD and right along the PA line near Hagerstown 

How does that compare to 12z for the same time?

14 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Per the GPS, NW of Staunton I am fringed on snow and sleet and expecting .35" qpf of freezing rain (which verifies as often as I hit the Powerball). 

Can I pass?

eta: I hope northern areas that have been fringed earlier this winter get destroyed with snow, and ice (if you like ice)

I'm only 15 miles from you. I have about 5 - 6 inches of snow/ice concrete on the ground from earlier storms.

I want 1.5 inches of rain with temperatures in the 50's to get rid of some of this stuff.

I donate any and all ice to D.C. folks.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic