Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

48 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Patterning right now is that to the west isn’t happening because cold highs are where they need to be. Yesterday it was a Carolina blizzard and DC zip, now maybe a mixed mess or to the west with rain and 45.  This is yet another clear example of present all the  outcomes and then claim correctness no matter what happens.  Models dont forecast what is The Most  Likely outcome.  They present examples of what could happen, many and varied.  Acceptance of this will decrease  angst for those who seek decreased anxiety.  Others  are perfectly happy with the myriads of wholesale changes every 6 hours and all the varying outcome potentials thereof.  The current method provides the best circumstance  for confirmation of a verified forecast for continued funding but it doesn’t provide the best possible weather resource information consistently.

Gotta be a high powered computer somewhere which can process analog and prevailing pattern info to derive  forecasts from.  I think much less waffling would come from that.  Right now though there is too much resistance to making a forecast and seeing how to stick with it rather than constantly changing. 

You are super wrong about the current forecast models, but you do have some support on the analog side.  There are groups out there that are experimenting with machine learning using a trained data set (the analogs).  It’ll be interesting to see how that works out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

You are super wrong about the current forecast models, but you do have some support on the analog side.  There are groups out there that are experimenting with machine learning using a trained data set (the analogs).  It’ll be interesting to see how that works out.

MN Transplant are they using artificial intelligence in the models yet? Or have they been for some time? You'd think that might help some.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I only recall one case where this was this severe a disparity inside D5 and it was that epic January 2014 or 2015 bust in NYC/SNE on that system that never captured.   The ensembles largely never wanted any part of that event but the GFS/GEFS never really did either.  It was the Euro and all others selling it.

Well, I guess the takeaway from the afternoon runs for me are 1) clarity will probably come in about 96 hours, and 2) I’ll be getting an early start to my sleep cycle. Me staying up watching models come in (CMC should finish up around 3am) won’t change one damn thing. I’m already tired of this lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:
The MSLP tracks looked okay to me but the snow mean took a fair hit.
18z
1642442400-GyYSdHtToIg.png
12z
1642442400-n9xqS0yV0ic.png

Suppression is still my biggest fear

Same here. I’m not even worried about a cutter. That would still work just fine with that high over NE

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic