Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think so lol. Been talking about it since this morning. The ne low moving out is letting it come north but I think that feature circled is what’s pulling it west

Respectfully disagree.  To me the changes that make this thing cut is simply the trough axis to the NE.  

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

Umm it isn’t. It’s a west track, the high up top goes East and the winds blow off the oceans for hours with southerly flow. You can warm surface temps just as fast as you can cool them

Amen. Saw that with the Feb 2014 storm. Was around 20 or in the lower 20s when the snow began. Thought it would take a long while, then the winds started shifting from the east and picked up. Temps climbed into the lower 30s very quickly. 

• Like 1

Guys, it's a deterministic at Day 6. Yes, as it shows, it would be an I-81 special and people east of Rt 15 would get a driving sleet/rain before changing back. There's too many variables on the table to decipher before pegging any particular solution. There could even be a piece that's not even modeled that could throw another variable into the mix. Welcome to the world of chaos with a dynamic fluid that is the atmosphere. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

All ensemble means are still off the coast right? If any 18z GFs ensembles support this, we in deep sh*t

I know this is kind of a weenie sentiment, but I'd like to give this another 24 hours before we kill this. Couple of things I'm looking for:

1.) Do we see this west trend continue?

2.) Would like to see what happens once we get this system onshore an into the North American upper air network.

3.) Hopefully we can get the antecedent high into a better position. We need it over Quebec,  not New England, to lock in the cold and prevent the coastal from running inland.

• Thanks 3

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It’s more than the storm is slowing down so that by the time it gets to the east the flow relaxes. There has been a slight relaxation the last 2 runs but it’s more the change in timing. 

Yeah when I was watching everything from h66 on, it was obvious this was a slower flow. That is a negative in certain ways for us, especially with a trailing piece having some influence it would appear. 

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

looks like the GEFS actually increased the confluent flow over the NE, this is great to see

the vort itself is stronger as well. confluence will almost always exert itself more than a shortwave, so a mixture of both would still result in a more favorable track the majority of the time 

4A9DA54E-301B-46C6-9916-FCCE9898244F.thumb.gif.c2e859405a971729ba2ffcddbe3ee7ba.gif

Sorry, but this map doesn't show blue over MBY so I'm going to ignore it

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s more than the storm is slowing down so that by the time it gets to the east the flow relaxes. There has been a slight relaxation the last 2 runs but it’s more the change in timing. 

Don’t disagree on the slowing, but that feature in the ne is definitely speeding up. These maps are at the same time.

BED6B40D-3A0D-452B-86CD-2BF5CF7C08C8.thumb.png.3df511c2479be3ccaeb3cade94263f39.png

3E1171E6-109B-4E50-AF7E-83C7565CB7A7.thumb.png.857ea3973decfe6f752f2a870ce650b8.png

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yep. Not seeing a lot of what the OP is selling. p25 the only member buying in.

1642399200-4N9OoFzcops.png

Yeah...there's a couple in there (p03 and p25) that are more borderline, but not even close to what the 18Z deterministic ops shows.  And still a decent number of what would be shutouts or near-shutouts...as well as what look like good hits.

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah...there's a couple in there (p03 and p25) that are more borderline, but not even close to what the 18Z deterministic ops shows.  And still a decent number of what would be shutouts or near-shutouts...as well as what look like good hits.

yes -- despite the good hits and a still pretty stellar mean, overall probability is low. however, if it hits...1642431600-NXLZK9nrZWE.png

1642431600-FD0yOTo31uc.png

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic