Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

Yeah, just had some with the text on the model graphic :)  Who cares what that model shows

well yeah, except that I will say that it's rare to have it too amped - it definitely has a progressive bias. So it being amped before was a flag. Glad it's back to whiffing tbh

• Like 1

Just now, JC-CT said:

well yeah, except that I will say that it's rare to have it too amped - it definitely has a progressive bias. So it being amped before was a flag. Glad it's back to whiffing tbh

Yeah if the navy is more NW than other models that can’t be ignored, it isn’t a useless model. I’d argue it’s alot more useful than the gfs because it has a clear and consistent bias that can be controlled for by the forecaster, where as the gfs is erratic. That’s why when I saw the Navy hugging the coast I started to get really nervous. 

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

Yeah if the navy is more NW than other models that can’t be ignored, it isn’t a useless model. I’d argue it’s alot more useful than the gfs because it has a clear and consistent bias that can be controlled for by the forecaster, where as the gfs is erratic. That’s why when I saw the Navy hugging the coast I started to get really nervous. 

it did just move like 1000 miles at day 5 in one cycle

1 minute ago, George001 said:

No one wants to see their Navy over land.

• Haha 9

At this juncture it's almost worthless or even pointless as to what the SLP tracks are. Until there is a much better handle of the upper-levels and the evolution of key features we essentially know what kind of look is going to yield farther west solutions and what kind of look is going to yield farther east solutions. 

But with this said I think we should actually have a very good idea of what will transpire probably with the 12z runs Friday or certainly with the 0z guidance. At this point not only the sampling of the energy will be there but how the energy is evolving as its digging into the Tennessee Valley will be known.

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Par for the course for ensembles 

they have much too little input difference than op’s to account for the realistic future tracks 

Definitely always been true for the GEFS. Gets even worse around 84-60 hours, spread is always too small.

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

image.thumb.png.3eac9f6b299e96d020dc2e5cc8d2d49c.png
the GFS sucks, just 2 and a half days ago it barely even had a low, now it has a blizzard for Montreal. 

You can't totally just use SLP as a means to justify this but the difference really lies within H5. The potential was actually there on the 6z run from Jan 10 but certainly it wasn't anything screaming noteworthy. 

The difference really comes down to how the initial wave of energy was being handled as it moved into the U.S. The GFS initially had this energy going from the upper-Midwest across the Ohio Valley into the Northeast. Since then the GFS has been much more bullish of driving this s/w through the Missouri Valley into the Tennessee Valley. 

I wouldn't use this as an example or a means to say the GFS sucks...this just goes to show how complex the pattern is and how even subtle changes whether it's strength of ridging/troughing how each of these features evolve, and what happens to s/w energy during these evolutions. 

At this point the s/w of interest was probably over who the hell knows. 

• Like 5