Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

Just now, dryslot said:

By listening to some, You would have thought it went thru BGM..........lol

I mean, it wouldn't take much more to do that...it goes from ABE to ALB.

The initial confluence did seem to make the front end a little colder this run though...so if that is a trend that we can keep up, then we might be able to get a triple point low further east in later runs.

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Friday's system is def hanging back on this euro run....we'll see how much that affects the Monday storm.

You know .. it's interesting.  You can see why the GEFs mean has been east of the operational version - even tough they are both trended west over the last 3 cycles.  

The 00z EOFs have a really highly concerted mode shit where the NAO goes from a starting point basically now at +1 SD, to -1 by D6.  Total mode change of -2 SD. 

Meanwhile, looking at the operational GFS... the graphics don't appeal as emphatic about that mode change.  Basically, it's parting company with its own ens mean wrt to that factor.  I think some of this whole ordeal is sensitive to the westerly, vs neutral, vs success of the NAO actually doing all that.  It can force things S. 

I also believe that 24 hrs, then again 72 hrs, are very critical windows for how these waves interact down stream.   24 hours there's a relay off the Pac... I annotated that earlier.  At 72 hours, that when the N stream comes in - neither of these features are actually within the physically realized grid.  

It's unfortunate that the flow continues to speed up as ext ranges come near, while events in the flow, tend to dampen.  Both those two sort of like, 'built in' corrections are really turning this winter ( and the last several for that matter - ) into a tedious bore.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, it wouldn't take much more to do that...it goes from ABE to ALB.

The initial confluence did seem to make the front end a little colder this run though...so if that is a trend that we can keep up, then we might be able to get a triple point low further east in later runs.

Yup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I thought the NAO is negative 

The NAO is trending negative as this is unfolding which is I believe what you typically want to see...but this goes to show there is much more to snow/cold than just the NAO. 

It actually even looks like we have a pseudo 50/50 low which usually is a good thing as well (but might actually also be enhancing the ridging). The big problem is the system becomes so amped and does so too early and we develop strong upstream ridging. With the core of the ridging across northern New England this acts as a block in a sense and the storm goes west

gfs_z500a_nhem_18.png

• Like 1