Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Thomas is great.  The purple fiddle is a cool spot!

2 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

We want to head out to Canaan tonight but I don't think we could get on the road before 6:30 - might make for a rough drive.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Spine of the Apps from Garrett down to Snowshoe will be a great spot, but especially Davis and Snowshoe.

I'm also going to check out Timberline... never skied there before but with their improvements it should be a fun experience. Although not everything is open, I think conditions should be great after tonight.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Just a FYI, the GFS also had Richmond getting 8-12” Monday’s storm and we didn’t even get close to that. Just throwing the caution warning out there for those hugging the GFS. Maybe it’s right for you guys though 

If you take the 10:1 maps as gospel, sure it might've looked like that, but Richmond was never getting 8-12" on any model if you looked at the details. You were in the mix zone for hours. That all gets counted as snow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah, exciting isn’t it

It’s 1 model. The rest don’t. Think you’ll be alright up there friend. We’ve seen only 1 storm this year - can’t win em all. Last year, we were the ones cashing each storm as the 95 corridor saw zilch all season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Some/many/most of us have realized that there’s going to be a middle finger screw zone somewhere with this storm as the energy transfers to the coast and the precip to the west weakens before the coastal enhancement sets up. And we’ve been saying it could be through our region. Seems like there are two places the models are placing it so far this morning:

1. DC northeastward towards Lancaster Co PA. 
2. Philly northeastward through the NYC area.

Hrrr and Euro are in camp 1. 3k NAM and FV3 are in camp 2.  Haven’t looked close enough to try and tease out what the precise differences are driving that.

RGEM in camp 2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TSG said:

If you take the 10:1 maps as gospel, sure it might've looked like that, but Richmond was never getting 8-12" on any model if you looked at the details. You were in the mix zone for hours. That all gets counted as snow.

And unless something has changed, the GFS still counts sleet as massive snow on the 10:1 right?

30 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

The thing is..the GFS is global.  I'd be kinda cautious vs the mesos

Globals are too broad brush for narrowly defined sensible wx in the short range. Euro has the resolution but it's still a global. OTOH- mesos try to be "too accurate" with exact placement of subtle variations of qpf/bands etc. I know you know this but just reminding everyone that all decent models are useful in the short range but no one model is deadly. Just blend and apply climo. Rarely fails. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

The GFS certainly thinks so. Maybe the model is just simplifying things. Big blob of precip headed our way, cold enough = snow! If only it were that easy

Perhaps it is… so long as the MSLP stays in tact and tracks SW to NE to our south. Man, oh man, that’d be nice 

7 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Perhaps it is… so long as the MSLP stays in tact and tracks SW to NE to our south. Man, oh man, that’d be nice 

That’s really the unicorn solution for us right now. Get the precip to come in from SW to NE and hold on a couple extra hours before the coastal takes over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Globals are too broad brush for narrowly defined sensible wx in the short range. Euro has the resolution but it's still a global. OTOH- mesos try to be "too accurate" with exact placement of subtle variations of qpf/bands etc. I know you know this but just reminding everyone that all decent models are useful in the short range but no one model is deadly. Just blend and apply climo. Rarely fails. 

Precisely! Each model has its relative strengths and weaknessess and some do better in a given setup, but there’s no model we can point to as gospel here or in any setup really.   

If the NAM GFS Euro HRRR RGEM show 1”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” in your backyard  respectively — I’d say 2-3” is pretty good bet. We of course all want to lean on the snowiest solution in any setup, but how often does that pan out?  We typically see one model nail track, another model nail thermo profile, etc.

Find a reliable model blend and know your climo. Good rules of thumb for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

mine :snowwindow:

12z CMC

1641556800-3cIkdqnoiHo.png

Eh, it's fine I guess, at least for those of us just west of Baltimore. But not great for everyone else. Certainly looked better just looking at the animation. Would have expected some totals around half a foot with what looked like very heavy rates for a few hours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Obvious but true, and we tend to forget it. I hate to be a debbie downer but in situations like these, we tend to underperform. Not saying that will happen, but I'm looking for 1-3" here. You never know--either the WAA can remain stronger for longer, or the coastal can develop earlier than expected. But when you're trying to thread that needle, you're trying to thread that needle. Then you're trying to catch a decent band either way.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So when one model "nails it" its really more luck than it being that good.  Makes sense.