Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
8 minutes ago, CAPE said:
I would be pretty surprised if that ends up being the issue with this setup.

This could also be the last tick and it starts to tick south again. Seen that scenario way too many times

The low isn't trending NW. This has to do with the timing and the sharpness of the shortwave. The wave is moving along a strong cold front where winds will be shifting to Northwesterly. You know what the only 'failure mode' is here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The low isn't trending NW. This has to do with the timing and the sharpness of the shortwave. The wave is moving along a strong cold front where winds will be shifting to Northwesterly. You know what the only 'failure mode' is here.

Perhaps, but the end result is a low position to the nw of prior solutions. 

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Perhaps, but the end result is a low position to the nw of prior solutions. 

Depends how many runs you want to go back and evaluate. 20? 10? Look at the last 4-5 GFS runs. The surface low track is the same- east and off the NC coast. How far north can the precip shield realistically get with a track straight off the coast at that latitude, and a strong cold front pressing southeastward? 

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

Depends how many runs you want to go back and evaluate. 20? 10? Look at the last 4-5 GFS runs. The surface low track is the same- east and off the NC coast. How far north can the precip shield realistically get with a track straight off the coast at that latitude, and a strong cold front pressing southeastward? 

Not saying your wrong at all but I would say  if the cold push isn't as strong then we could see it trend north. 

I know you know this but the cold push always seems weaker than modeled but we're getting kind of late in the game now for that.

My guess is it doesn't trend apprcreiably north to effect areas from DC north but who knows.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Not far, I agree. But I think if that low track was just west of the Albemarle sound we might be in business. I think a slight delay in that trough moving east and a little more neg tilt we might get it. Probably won’t though lol

• Like 1

Just now, Chris78 said:

Not saying your wrong at all but I would say  if the cold push isn't as strong then we could see it trend north. 

I know you know this but the cold push always seems weaker than modeled but we're getting kind of late in the game now for that.

My guess is it doesn't trend apprcreiably north to effect areas from DC north but who knows.

Like I said, getting 'some' snow from this (in our region in general) is a function of timing and sharpness of the wave, not the track shifting.

My guess is the moisture will have mostly exited SE and I might see some flakes flying in the NW winds. A coating would be cool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Like I said, getting 'some' snow from this (in our region in general) is a function of timing and sharpness of the wave, not the track shifting.

My guess is the moisture will have mostly exited SE and I might see some flakes flying in the NW winds. A coating would be cool.

I'd take anything at this point. My guess is I'm way to far NW to see anything from the Monday system.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic