• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

My views on this have evolved through the years.  I used to be firmly in the prolong winter camp, but these days it depends on what the season has been like.

In 2013-14, I wanted to see it go on as long as possible.  It had been a historic type of winter and there was a desire to see how high we could go.  I believe we ended up with like 75" of snow in LAF, which is totally insane for that place.  Legendary winter.  

In the current winter, we are not chasing an all-time seasonal snowfall record.  And I've had a nice storm.  Would I like another big storm to build the snowpack and rival the depths of last winter?  Sure, I'd take it.  But if something like that is not in the cards, then an early spring would be ok with me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Ugh. Why is everyone so excited to be done with winter…especially when we haven’t even had much of a winter here this season to begin with? It’s only 2/8. Do people want summer to be over by 8/8?

It’s bad enough that I have to deal with anxiety about today’s 40F temps eating away at the modest snow cover…and desperately wishing f winter or the sun to go away. But then it’s even worse that others are actively rooting for this, and excited about the sun angle and dampness/warmth in the air as the inevitable end of winter occurs. Fine - but can’t it wait until 2/28??

Winter is not supposed to be comfortable or feel nice. People are supposed to be crying and begging for warmth and relief from bitter cold and snow. 

Maybe we should all live in international falls for a winter or two, to experience what winter should actually be like. 

:(

a Chicago winter is fine.

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Ugh. Why is everyone so excited to be done with winter…especially when we haven’t even had much of a winter here this season to begin with? It’s only 2/8. Do people want summer to be over by 8/8?

It’s bad enough that I have to deal with anxiety about today’s 40F temps eating away at the modest snow cover…and desperately wishing for the sun to go away. But then it’s even worse that others are actively rooting for this, and excited about the sun angle and dampness/warmth in the air as the inevitable end of winter occurs. Fine - but can’t it wait until 2/28??

Winter is not supposed to be comfortable or feel nice. People are supposed to be crying and begging for warmth and relief from bitter cold and snow. 

Maybe we should all live in international falls for a winter or two, to experience what winter should actually be like. 

By Mid August I start noticing that overnight lows that once stayed consistently above 60F are now mid 50s and the far northern parts of Canada/Mountains start getting the first sub 40F. I cheer/day dream about the upcoming fall in mid august when the averages quickly start diving. 

Long story short Winter-November 15th to February 15th in my mind, Spring February 15th-May 15th, Summer May 15th-August 15th and Fall August 15th-November 15th 

Its a weird way to look at it but at the start of each of those dates, even though firmly entrenched in their season the first signs of the upcoming one begin appearing. 

• Like 1

LOL at people eager for spring in early February. Give me a redux of 2018 when there was a 16” blizzard on April 17th and the lakes around here didn’t lose their ice until the beginning of May. 

we’re pretty much moving into mid-february now, and this is about the time of year many start looking to jump into spring. nothing new.

On 2/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, beavis1729 said:

It’s bad enough that I have to deal with anxiety about today’s 40F temps eating away at the modest snow cover…and desperately wishing for the sun to go away. But then it’s even worse that others are actively rooting for this, and excited about the sun angle and dampness/warmth in the air as the inevitable end of winter occurs. Fine - but can’t it wait until 2/28??

I'm nowhere near ready for Winter to end. It's pretty common for the same crowd to start getting ready for Spring in mid February.  Just as there are some of us who get ready for fall by mid August. Or earlier lol.

17 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

It’s a damn shame nothing good on the models much for the southern Great Lakes area in the next couple weeks. But some hope for our friends in Iowa and Wisconsin in the next week possibly?

Good, bad, or indifferent, I sure wouldn't be worrying about what the models show a few weeks out haha. They've struggled mightily. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:02 PM, Snownado said:

Most of us live closer to the Equator than the North Pole. Summer SHOULD be longer than winter, but for some reason winter likes to drag on sometimes.

Winter is definitely longer than summer.  Especially when it likes to pop in early or linger. Summer is more than long enough though.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2