Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

3 minutes ago, mimillman said:

That’s how you feel and you’ve had the best season in the sub!

Lol with tonight's 0.2" we're at 11.5" for the season.  Definitely better than you guys up in Chi-town but areas just west of here have done better.  DVN just west of here has over 14", and Hawkeye/CR crew has 16"+, with a warning criteria event.  

I really feel bad for the downstate IL crew, and also the majority of IN.  Those areas are completely missing out on even these little wussy events that people like me are getting pissy about.  This sub really needs a widespread spread-the-wealth storm in Feb.

• Like 1

More for entertainment than anything else...but last night's 00z GFS showed some brutally cold air in southern Saskatchewan in early Feb.  That's a pretty sizeable area of temps in the -35 to -55 range. 

Obviously, the normal caveats apply since it's an op GFS run at 228 hours.  Only pointing it out because I've never seen temps this low on a GFS prog before. 

sfct.conus.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

More for entertainment than anything else...but last night's 00z GFS showed some brutally cold air in southern Saskatchewan in early Feb.  That's a pretty sizeable area of temps in the -35 to -55 range. 

Obviously, the normal caveats apply since it's an op GFS run at 228 hours.  Only pointing it out because I've never seen temps this low on a GFS prog before. 

sfct.conus.png

I thought that was supposed to be after the "pattern change." :rolleyes:

There was a heated discussion about the frequency of significant snowstorms in Detroit and Chicago on another thread.  I just checked my records and it's pretty ugly.  Over the last fifteen winters I have only had four 9" snowstorms.  That's it... FOUR!!!  My last 9" snowstorm was in early February of 2015, seven years ago.  Cedar Rapids is a 1-6" climate.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

There was a heated discussion about the frequency of significant snowstorms in Detroit and Chicago on another thread.  I just checked my records and it's pretty ugly.  Over the last fifteen winters I have only had four 9" snowstorms.  That's it... FOUR!!!  My last 9" snowstorm was in early February of 2015, seven years ago.  Cedar Rapids is a 1-6" climate.

9"+ snowstorms are not as common as you would think, I think the midwest is a 1 to 6" climate in general with the occasional bigger storm. Contrary to that 1 poster's incorrect assumption, Detroit having 4 snowstorms of 9" and the last 5 years is actually very good and more than most cities in the region. It would take a bit of research but I wouldn't imagine only a handful of 9"+ storms are seen per decade at any one local.  Detroit has had 11 in the past 15 years but that includes some stellar Winters. If you lower the bar to 8"+ you're adding quite a few more to the pile.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

9"+ snowstorms are not as common as you would think, I think the midwest is a 1 to 6" climate in general with the occasional bigger storm. Contrary to that 1 poster's incorrect assumption, Detroit having 4 snowstorms of 9" and the last 5 years is actually very good and more than most cities in the region. It would take a bit of research but I wouldn't imagine only a handful of 9"+ storms are seen per decade at any one local.  Detroit has had 11 in the past 15 years but that includes some stellar Winters. If you lower the bar to 8"+ you're adding quite a few more to the pile.

I did some stat checking. I'd say you and I are almost in the same boat. We've had 4 9"+ snowstorms in Toronto since 2017, including one just 2 weeks ago. Since 2007-08, we've had 14 in total. 

Detroit's been a snow magnet over the past 15 years haha. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

NWS is going 12-18" for Boston.

I do wonder if ratios may suffer more than Kuchera suggests due to the strong winds.  That is a seriously deep low off the coast.

That's been my thought. Ofcourse the wind does shit for me anyways and why I would ( without blinking ) take a Jan 67 over Jan 78 anytime for this location. I have seen both back east ( 2 footers ) with and without wind. No wind please!