• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

00z/15 EPS has minor snow accumulations entire region Tue the 23rd. GEFS not.

Am not quite as enamored with the evolving trough for early next week... hints of digging in too far north. Might be setting us up for Sunday-Monday 28th-29th but that also is not supported by ensemble low pressures.  So, will wait awhile on any thread.  Have a day. 

• Like 2

Morning thoughts…

Today will be partly to mostly sunny but unseasonably cool. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 40s and lower 50s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 47°

Newark: 51°

Philadelphia: 51°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 54.2°; 15-Year: 54.2°

Newark: 30-Year: 55.1°; 15-Year: 55.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 56.1°; 15-Year: 56.1°

Warmer air will arrive on Wednesday.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Am not quite as enamored with the evolving trough for early next week... hints of digging in too far north. Might be setting us up for Sunday-Monday 28th-29th but that also is not supported by ensemble low pressures.  So, will wait awhile on any thread.  Have a day. 

Meanwhile the 06z GFS Op shows the storm for the Tues-Thurs period next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

6z GFS has a large closed ULL for 23rd now

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_34.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Meanwhile the 06z GFS Op shows the storm for the Tues-Thurs period next week. 

Yes, I see that (after my pre 06z/15 GFS op post). Not reacting to a single member (or few) D8 nice track-storm. 06Z GEFS will now have snow to the coast, I would presume, due to this member.  

Pattern just not what I can try to lock a scenario onto. I'll wait til this evening, if I do thread at that time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Nice run... EC/CMC op's not there on the 06z/15 GFS op run, tho CMC strong.  06Z GEFS...no snow on the coast, tho that could be grid related.  It's got snow to about I95...minor.  Just not enough consensus for me...still looks too far N or too late for me via ensembles. That could change more favorably. Later, Walt

• Like 3

All the guidance is correcting stronger with the -NAO -AO blocking for late November. This is what we want to see during La Ninas in November for winter blocking intervals and better snowfall chances.The individual storm details will probably have to wait until we get within the 120 hr range.

New run

321CDD0E-6F4D-4E1E-8173-661113E8819A.thumb.png.446c1c643b9eee140cc86bc1a1fc9480.png

Old run

EB426866-71B9-4DC8-BEB5-C36710550BD0.thumb.png.2305369323b8036b7e737c20774eb92a.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The next 8 days are averaging 47degs.(41/53), or +1.

Month to date is  50.3[-0.2].        Should be  49.1[+0.3] by the 23rd.

Reached 48 yesterday.

Today: 46-49, wind w. and breezy, clearing late.

For the record: GFS with 4" on the 22nd./23rd., now.

43*(83%RH) here at 6am.      44*/45* all morning-Noon.      47* at 1pm.

42 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

It's about time we get away from sexere threats from cold fronts to cold season, winter synoptic patterns and forecasts.  Had enough of tornadoes in our neck of the woods.  Had a tornado 5 miles from me on Friday.  Good to see blue back on maps, actual outcome to be seen. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Mjo, enso, lower hgts in AK and potential Pv coupling to name a few 

We agree. The +EPO is going to limit any cold. And the WPO is only weakly negative. Also extremely unlikely the +PNA has any staying power given the -PDO, La Niña, -PMM background states.? Once we get into early December, the MJO will support a warming trend. The SPV is becoming very strong and if it couples with the TPV, we have a problem 

This is not a good sign: 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

We agree. The +EPO is going to limit any cold. And the WPO is only weakly negative. Once we get into early December, the MJO will support a warming trend. The SPV is becoming very strong and if it couples with the TPV, we have a problem 

This is not a good sign: 

The MJO is currently  muted and barely has any effect right now.

Gfs is blocky next week 

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The MJO is currently  muted and barely has anything effect right now.

Gfs is blocky next week 

His post is referring to what happens after thanksgiving as we get into December. It’s very much up for debate on what happens if the blocking breaks down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

His post is referring to what happens after thanksgiving as we get into December. It’s very much up for debate on what happens if the blocking breaks down 

Blocking isn't going to break down next week into December.  There is strong model agreement on the block establishing itself. The question becomes how long it will last.