Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, Spaizzo said:

(CT) Just drive from Derby to North Branford. To note grocery stores are packed. Gas lines are formed. Local gas stations running out of gas.  Water is flying off the shelves. Madison and Groton areas are being told to evacuate. We had a hard time getting fast after sandy so I’m not shocked at the gas stuff..

Time to get a pistol and a case of sterno.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh I LOVE that cross-over product!  man...geeks dream.   That's really pretty cool

SCP as a parameter can be overrated, but if nothing else, I like to see the crossovers and where CAPE/shear juxtapose with vertically veering wind profiles.

19 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

The maintenence I was referring to was in regard to preventative maintenance. Too many trees are dead and are not taken away. 

Yeah, that and also ...I caught up with the retired Journeyman and had this conversation since -

He was agreeing it is mostly a maintenance thing, but .. he said demographic/population swelling has augmented the negative aspect of bad maintenance.  He's an old school republican - so it was interesting to hear him then say, ".. back before all these utilities became privately owned, this wasn't a problem so much..."   He later extolled that money flowing is the rapacious goal and maintenance cost/takes a bit chunk out of that goal, so ... some argumentatives there... whatever.

But, he was also right about the fact that technology has not kept pace.  I mean ...humanities brain trust and capacity in general could have made power infrastructure almost indestructible - this 'advancing tech' to make thing better, is a virtue that stopped when cash for power began... so it seems.  Some people want specific data to prove everything reality so taken for what it is worth.   Typically, when it quacks like a duck, it's a duck - follow the money, usually finds the cause of lapses.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alexderiemer said:

NWS PHL saying it is tangentially connected and calling it a inverted trough

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Shows up nicely at 700mb, especially later today. Definitely looks like an inverted trough.

mkgif.php?rate=60&pause=200&startLabel=0

• Like 2

It’s amazing just following this storm with all of it’s challenges with forecasting track, strength and hazards that might come into play. It’s why I love this hobby! With all the technological advances we’ve made to help forecast weather, there are just so many variables that come into play that still keep it an imperfect science. I just love the challenges that come with it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quincy said:

Shows up nicely at 700mb, especially later today. Definitely looks like an inverted trough.

mkgif.php?rate=60&pause=200&startLabel=0

I mean it's been modeled for days...made a few posts on it. It's not really a classic PRE...but we have the trough/vortmax acting a bit on Henri and "pulling" back those isobars. With the tropical moisture plume working in and that inverted convergence zone to lift it there will be some copious QPF.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• You watch typhoon chasing videos from Taiwan or the Japanese islands, power often does not go out and building suffer little damage.  If a typhoon is going to hit every 2 or 3 years, the millions of dollars per mile to bury power cables makes sense.  For a once every 25 year tropical cyclone event in New England, it is harder to justify.  That was the thinking behind not improving the Texas power grid after weaknesses became obvious in a fairly mild cold snap in 2011, the big February freeze was a once every 3 or 4 decade event.  I assume the wind turbines will be winterized as they are elsewhere in America, and natural gas storage will increase, since cold weather increases the demand for gas for both home heating and power generation.  But areas where extreme events are rare, someone makes a risk/reward calculation.  In February, the risk turned out to be greater than the reward of money saved.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, salbers said:

Here is some of that convection closer to the center:

mesoscale_02_band_02_sector_02_20210821190854.gif

Watching the loops, it has been trying to close on eye on visible all day and coming close, but not really getting it done.  Recon should be in shortly, I wonder if they will actually find a hurricane or a 55 or 60 knot storm.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

One day Emass might get something interesting tropical wise.  Basically missed all.of Sandy Irene Isiasis 

I had a roof blow off a 13 story building in Boston from Sandy (albeit right on the water). I will have to try to find the picture from the next morning of a bunch of fellow Facilities staff pulling the membrane as close to back in place as possible.  That made the nor'easter that followed a week later tons of fun.

• Like 1

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic