• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WX Fan
    Newest Member
    WX Fan

Met Summer Banter

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Good Red Sox win today against the Royals but oof at the Baltimore Orioles.

O’s were 1 out away from winning the game 7-4… and instead lost 10-7 when the Blue Jays scored 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. lol you can’t make that stuff up.

The Orioles can definitely make that kind of stuff up and then make it a reality. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never even noticed this.  I just remember in college they had Happy Hour but they got you with free food.  I guess the booze wasn’t discounted but the way around that is “all you can eat free wings from 4-6pm.”

I guess I didn’t realize how it was done but it felt like “happy hour” with everyone going and buying pitchers of beer while they bring you free food like nachos, wings, mozzarella sticks or other stuff.

Yeah, food specials are probably the workaround. 

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

NH’s state run liquor stores are awesome. I always find all sorts of unique and rare stuff in there. Even the stores in Gorham and Berlin are big and well-stocked with neat things. I much prefer that setup to the MD free-for-all setup where you never know what a store will carry. 

We ALWAYS stop in NH for liquor-best deal around...

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Never even noticed this.  I just remember in college they had Happy Hour but they got you with free food.  I guess the booze wasn’t discounted but the way around that is “all you can eat free wings from 4-6pm.”

I guess I didn’t realize how it was done but it felt like “happy hour” with everyone going and buying pitchers of beer while they bring you free food like nachos, wings, mozzarella sticks or other stuff.

When I was in School on Fridays we'd go into Boston and get 2 for 1 plus they all had appetizers, all you can eat, that was our dinner on Fridays.

• Like 1

I used to do 10 cent drafts up in Burlington on Tuesday nights. That did some damage. I’ll just say that I don’t think Milwaukee’s Best actually is.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I used to do 10 cent drafts up in Burlington on Tuesday nights. That did some damage. I’ll just say that I don’t think Milwaukee’s Best actually is.  

There was a place near Worcester we would go to on Monday nights, 25 cent drafts, nasty stuff but when your in school every penny counts, those nights usually ended with a brawl and cops coming.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

When I used to go to school in MD, I had never heard of anything like two for one. It was truly amazing 

MA happy hours were great but sloppy.  I don't really miss them.  This state is drunk enough without sloppy pitchers at 1am.

Best to pay full price for your alcohol because it usually leads to better decisions or lessons learned.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Good Red Sox win today against the Royals but oof at the Baltimore Orioles.

O’s were 1 out away from winning the game 7-4… and instead lost 10-7 when the Blue Jays scored 6 runs with 2 outs in the 9th. lol you can’t make that stuff up.

O's hit 6 HR, all solo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

There was a place near Worcester we would go to on Monday nights, 25 cent drafts, nasty stuff but when your in school every penny counts, those nights usually ended with a brawl and cops coming.

The Red Barn in Westborough. And yeah it always got ugly.

Happy hour still exists in MA but they just work around the “law” they wrote for it. As others said, they usually make food super cheap. Or they will bundle the alcohol with food. You still have drink specials but they just make them for the whole evening. They can’t discount them just during the early hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Happy hour still exists in MA but they just work around the “law” they wrote for it. As others said, they usually make food super cheap. Or they will bundle the alcohol with food. You still have drink specials but they just make them for the whole evening. They can’t discount them just during the early hours. 

You cannot change your drinks price more than once every seven days I believe.

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You cannot change your drinks price more than once every seven days I believe.

Can always just go with 

patch.jpg

Dog and I ran into our first bear of the season today.  Big fella.  Had to wait about 10 minutes for him to meander away and out of our path.  Of course the one time I decided not to carry the real camera with me on the mountain too.

Amazing summer day though. Low-80s in the valley, dews in the 50s.  Tons of sunshine.  Plenty hot to go swimming (dipped in the river) and comfortable enough to be very active without sweating to dehydration.  A perfect summer day.

• Like 3

Dog and I ran into our first bear of the season today.  Big fella.  Had to wait about 10 minutes for him to meander away and out of our path.  Of course the one time I decided not to carry the real camera with me on the mountain too.

Amazing summer day though. Low-80s in the valley, dews in the 50s.  Tons of sunshine.  Plenty hot to go swimming (dipped in the river) and comfortable enough to be very active without sweating to dehydration.  A perfect summer day.

Never seen a real bear outside a zoo. Id probably shit myself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are way bigger than you expect.  It is so weird 

Yeah the adult black bears can be large creatures in person, ha.  I probably feel overly comfortable with them though as they really cause me no concern… my dog does though.  Everyone we’ve seen I’ve seen it first and can leash her before she notices it.  A black bear will pay no attention to me, but a barking dog might just annoy it enough.

They are extremely docile creatures though.  A few years ago working on the mountain we watched a deer and bear graze only like 10 yards apart or less.  They both were going for the same ground food source and the deep seemed to have an understanding that this large creature isn’t interested in the meat I could provide, ha.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They are way bigger than you expect.  It is so weird 

A number of years ago, my brother in law got a 300 lb bear during bow season. Seeing that hanging after it was skinned was freaky. Almost looked human. Really muscular. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Yankees won with a triple play lol

That is 3 triple plays so far this year with the Yankees 

I went to a Sox Twins games in the 80's and the Twins got two triple plays in one game, both started by Gaitti, tagged third, threw to second and over to first.

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I went to a Sox Twins games in the 80's and the Twins got two triple plays in one game, both started by Gaitti, tagged third, threw to second and over to first.

That's insane, two in one game.  But yeah, those are the way it's done.  Ball hit hard to third base, step on the bag and then start a more routine double play style finish.  If the batter is just leaving the box while the third basement already has the ball next to the bag, he's in trouble.  He hit it too hard :lol:.