Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That sucks, I went over the handle bars when I was a kid and landed on my head, probably explains a few things today but it was not fun.

:lol:
Not on a bike, but when I was 5 a friend and I were scrambling on the "cliffs" in a neighbor's front yard when I slipped backwards and fell about 5', landing forehead-first on a sloping rock.  Wound was small but bled "like the Red Sea" (friend's description).  No obvious long-term effects, though others might disagree.  :P

On a sadder biking note, about 5 years ago I reconnected thru FB with my best friend (ages 8-22) after nearly 50 years.  He moved to Idaho shortly after finishing college and at reconnect time he was dominating the state's age-class mountain bike races.  A couple months after the reconnect he took a bad fall at speed while practicing, resulting in serious brain damage.  Then cascading issues culminating with a spinal cord infection took his life.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

:lol:
Not on a bike, but when I was 5 a friend and I were scrambling on the "cliffs" in a neighbor's front yard when I slipped backwards and fell about 5', landing forehead-first on a sloping rock.  Wound was small but bled "like the Red Sea" (friend's description).  No obvious long-term effects, though others might disagree.  :P

On a sadder biking note, about 5 years ago I reconnected thru FB with my best friend (ages 8-22) after nearly 50 years.  He moved to Idaho shortly after finishing college and at reconnect time he was dominating the state's age-class mountain bike races.  A couple months after the reconnect he took a bad fall at speed while practicing, resulting in serious brain damage.  Then cascading issues culminating with a spinal cord infection took his life.

We have a friend who was working at Stowe and was riding his mountain bike down a trail and hit a rock and crashed. The crash killed him

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have a friend who was working at Stowe and was riding his mountain bike down a trail and hit a rock and crashed. The crash killed him

Damn man. How long ago was that?  15-20 years?  I have heard stories about when they used to do Mountain Biking off the Gondola here which is just hard to fathom given how steep it is.  I know they stopped doing it before my time due to the risk and it was just way above most peoples skill level.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Damn man. How long ago was that?  15-20 years?  I have heard stories about when they used to do Mountain Biking off the Gondola here which is just hard to fathom given how steep it is.  I know they stopped doing it before my time due to the risk and it was just way above most peoples skill level.

He died in August 2014.   He worked for a construction company as a project manager.  Avid skier and biker. Only 25 years old

25 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Where you eating? We're going up in two weeks, we stay at my sisters in Cape Neddick, we usually go to the Steak House and Angelinas

The Front Porch.   I had seared scallops carbonara.   We had blue cheese mussels as an app that were very good.  Hadn’t had mussels in a long time. So good. 

• Like 2

Heavy end of the day.  911 call came into Lamoille Dispatch about a person working on the WCAX towers, located on the Nose of Mt Mansfield (at 4,000ft).  The individual fell over 40 feet off the antenna tower; landing feet first saved his life by letting the lower body absorb the impact.  Mountain Operations EMTs were first on scene, followed by Stowe Mountain Rescue (municipal technical team) and Stowe Rescue paramedics.

He was brought down the mountain and then airlifted out of the Mansfield parking lot by helo.

2L8A1202_edited-2-1.thumb.jpg.d7b8faf366210f3636e77636ad9df5c4.jpg

2L8A1211_edited-2-1.thumb.jpg.7328088b00530666a55005cf8a272083.jpg

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Heavy end of the day.  911 call came into Lamoille Dispatch about a person working on the WCAX towers, located on the Nose of Mt Mansfield (at 4,000ft).  The individual fell over 40 feet off the antenna tower; landing feet first saved his life by letting the lower body absorb the impact.  Mountain Operations EMTs were first on scene, followed by Stowe Mountain Rescue (municipal technical team) and Stowe Rescue paramedics.

He was brought down the mountain and then airlifted out of the Mansfield parking lot by helo.

2L8A1202_edited-2-1.thumb.jpg.d7b8faf366210f3636e77636ad9df5c4.jpg

2L8A1211_edited-2-1.thumb.jpg.7328088b00530666a55005cf8a272083.jpg

Surviving a 40 foot fall? Pretty lucky