Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

24 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Likely to have lasting damage. Drought and infestations are a bad combo.

We got some much needed rain this past week, though not enough to reduce our long-term drought conditions. Nearly all of Northern New York is Abnormally Dry, with Franklin, St. Lawrence, Lewis and Jefferson Counties, including the Northern Adirondacks, in a Moderate Drought.

44 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

If NNE doesn’t cash in on appreciable rain the next 2 days, drought conditions going to jump this week. Starting to see shades of drought in the vegetation now, even in southern most areas.

what else is new. been this way for a few summers now. synoptic an tstorms mostly absent june-sept in my hood.

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

That sucks. For as bad as we had it around here I never saw them eating pine trees.

In the early 1980s we made several trips down I-93 then on to my brother's [then] home in Milford, MA.  By mid-June it would look like winter from MHT south, only the odd ash tree escaping the caterpillars.  Hardwoods would usually set a new crop of leaves by midsummer and pines often had viable buds for survival but hemlocks were one and done.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The WAR is coming so don’t get all neurotic about the dryness…when there is WAR, there is tropical rains.

I sure hope so, garden is beginning to stress out a bit....river levels are still much higher than last year at this time. So there is at least that. Living on a well now, stress levels are higher than normal, lol...

That 00z Euro run shootin' for a top 3 warmest June of all time if that D4- 10 verifies.

SW deep layer flow under rising heights for what essentially amounts to the last full week of the month, under +16 C at 850. Could even be Bahama blue pattern for two days with excessive DPs swathing up the coast.  That then morphs into a continental heat wave as heights blossom to 595 dm and bubble west under LI on a west retrograde transit, cutting off the theta-e but drafting  in 18 or 19 C's Iowa air in a deeply mixed ... oy 

It's one run and frankly the model doesn't have a lot of synoptic continuity with that look so it is what it is.  But oper. GFS seems to have shedded some of it's cold height bias and is pulling/retrograding WAR west as well - noted that yesterday the GEFs PNA was crashing beyond D2 at varying rates of decent among the members.

We'll see... but, in either case, the only aspect separating just a substantially above normal torridity pattern, from a deadly heat-wave in those looks, is a mid level shear axis out around 100 W. It's cutting off a W/SW N/A heat release/inject from homogenizing into that - otherwise that would make the entire U.S. from Chicago to Portland ( ME) unlivably hiding from some kind of a naturally occurring weapon of mass destruction.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

what else is new. been this way for a few summers now. synoptic an tstorms mostly absent june-sept in my hood.

you can really see this multi-year persistence playing out on peoples lawns. In this part of Maine lawn care is not really a thing, and you can tell. Everyone's got more dirt than grass it seems in my hood. The last time I can remember things looking all pretty was 2017. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

In the early 1980s we made several trips down I-93 then on to my brother's [then] home in Milford, MA.  By mid-June it would look like winter from MHT south, only the odd ash tree escaping the caterpillars.  Hardwoods would usually set a new crop of leaves by midsummer and pines often had viable buds for survival but hemlocks were one and done.

the mount washington valley is dealing with an infestation right now. Entire east side of the valley where it's mostly hardwoods on the lower hills (cranmore area) has been denuded. Driving into conway the other day it looked like April. Persistent dry springs and now at least two dry summers is the likely cause. My understanding is that (like browntails), you need a succession of cool wet springs to allow a fungus to control the population.

• Sad 1

0z GGEM is 180 deg, diametrically out of phase with the Euro over the Lakes/OV/NE regions on D9.

But the Euro is actually quite a bit more amplified with the WAR/latitude hybrid ridging S-E of LI than it's one EPS mean, which looks more maintenance of SW/Bahama conveyor.

GGEM also keeps the BL flow SW the whole time E of ~ Appalachia despite the compressed obtrusive -PNAP jams in.  It want's both.  Looks like that is a stressed construct; those don't usually last in operational continuity. 

I mean, if we didn't have:

an exit La Nina seemingly bursting it's remaining influence might through a hemisphere that has shed the winter compression soaking and higher anomalous velocity ( ambient geostrophy suppressing and/or distorting the ENSO typology);

at present, a deterministic GEF suite's PNA falling;

a cadence in the operational runs that hints at timing a Rossby reposition

...  it wouldn't be so believable.  But seeing as we do have these compounding/converged telecons I think this is hot summer anyway, and these sort of early heat signals shouldn't be ignored as mere noise. 

But, by saying 'don't ignore', we don't mean load up the wagons and abandon the farmstead in 1934, either - just that in general, above normal is favored and in order to get those above normal temperatures, sounds like these will tend to emerge in the guidance chorus.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how and why the NAM was ruining the low grade heat wave that seemed imminent last Friday. 

Friday, it looked like one of those unsung 89.5 rounding heat waves, Sun - Tue.  

We ended up doing 90 at KFIT and KBOS ( didn't check anywhere else ) Sat too.  And yesterday ... But today KBOS probably can't. One can see why on sat and sfc obs.  The flow is veered into 190 and is thick .  That warm fog and strata is the coastal marine/land tussle. That effect probably stays situated but may en road to N CT/RI.

Know what ( as I bun myself - )

Keep that 190 sfc to 700 mb flow cranking.

In fact, the entire flow out there in the guidance tenor thru D10 could really send the coastal oceanic SSTs from the VA Capes to Cape Cod soaring.  Last I checked that region has reversed a cool anomaly into a warm one, already.  SO, additionally cumulative surface stressing over time will push the warm surface layers into an ever- growing mass, and then with the sun?  The only way to cool it would be evaporation but in the absence of continental low DP type air, the quasi-coupled atmosphere-water DPs are going to probably end up matching. So while the Tuscan sun blazes away for a week over that anomalous southerly flow, we could see some pretty fantastic beach water temperatures from Cape May to the Islands up our way -

Then ...                                         we cane         muah hahahahahahaha

Seriously, I remember in 1998, the water temperature at Narra. Beach was near or in history.  I remember leaning over the causeway wall as the water clapped and rolled around kelp-maned boulders, and from the 20 or so foot vantage the water in the shallows was beginning to take on that more translucent form of blue-green tint, even cleansed enough to see the sand floor through some ten feet of ocean water - hard to typically in the Labrador current. You can tell it was kinda of still not there but trying?  The swim temp was above 75 F if even warmer than that, and we were bouncing around in the waves for like 5 straight hours. If anything were feeling kind of hot from all the physical exertion of marathon boogie-boarding.  Man, ..memories of being young enough to take those gut punches.  That was back when the hot-dogs still caused colon polyps and coke hadn't moved through the formula change.  Don't miss the cigarette smoke wafting past ...though it was of course okay at night, we'd be candid in Tiva's, torn now out-moded utility shorts, white shirts, buttons partially open to flaunt tanned abs, cigarette in one had, coconut rum drink in the other, hopping bars along the shores roads of westerly RI.  Man, we'd still be playing beach volleyball by noon the next day. 

Different life ... now a point of light out there from vantage of an aft observation deck as this star ship called 'Wasted Journey" unrelentingly speeds toward old age, exceeding the speed of no-time-concept or awareness while years click by at relative speed of seasons.

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seriously, I remember in 1998, the water temperature at Narra. Beach was near or in history.  I remember leaning over the causeway wall as the water clapped and rolled around kelp-maned boulders, and from the 20 or so foot vantage the water in the shallows was beginning to take on that more translucent form of blue-green. You can tell it was kinda of still not there but trying?  The swim temp was above 75 F if even warmer than that, and we were bouncing around in the waves for like 5 straight hours. If anything were feeling kind of hot from all the physical exertion of marathon boogie-boarding.  Man, ..memories of being young enough to take those gut punches.  That was back when the hot-dogs still caused colon polyps and coke hadn't moved through the formula change.  Don't miss the cigarette smoke wafting past ...though at night, we'd be candid in Tiva's, torn now out-moded utility shorts, white shirts buttons open with tanned abs, cigarettes and coconut rum drinks as we hopped bars along the shores roads of westerly RI.  Man, we'd still be playing beach volleyball by noon the next day. 

Different life ... now a point of light out there from vantage of an aft observation deck as this star ship called 'Wasted Journey" unrelentingly speeds toward old age, exceeding the speed of no-time-concept or awareness while years click by at relative speed of seasons.

I was sophomore at URI . The cigarette smoke were from my parliaments coming from CG house.  We surfed for an entire summer straight. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I was sophomore at URI . The cigarette smoke were from my parliaments coming from CG house.  We surfed for an entire summer straight. 

Good times. Hot surf days and hotties at night. Best combo ever. We had the life and didn't appreciate it as much as we should have.

• Like 3