Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

31 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

There are certainly some isolated cells that could take advantage of the environment, but not sure if there’s enough shear to make it happen. This cell up in Maine is certainly trying.

Yeah seems fairly run of the mill thunderstorms with very heavy rain.  This air mass can make some water though in short duration.  Though nothing jumping out as overly severe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm already expecting it to. hopes and dreams always seems to slip away. lawn taking a beating on top of a beating

Yesterday the PoP for Tuesday was 80% at my ZIP.  It's now 30%, climbing to 40% Tuesday night (when I except full-on CAA and beaucoup dry air.)

4 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Hi Tip, Is this basically the south wind killing our opportunities further east? 

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

probably but not a certainty -

I think it’s more of a factor that the best forcing/lift is way northwest. The storms rapidly weaken as they move east b/c they outrun the better upper support. 

I think the south wind/marine taint stuff gets too much credit when talking about decaying thunderstorms here. 

• Thanks 1

Home got hammered, lots of needed rain.  I had to drive under one tree which had fallen on our road but had one end snagged up enough for me to get under.  I had to go around 2 others.  Round 2 looks to be an hour and half away.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, klw said:

Nice yeah that’s a good drink!  Only 0.18” here but looks like the second round should add some.  I was guessing we got like a third to half inch judging by the downpour but went out and Stratus was like oh hell no, only 0.18” :lol:.

Looks like stations in Stowe range from 0.05” to 0.80”… the classic convection wide ranging rainfall.

That line is holding together much better then I thought it would entering western MA. Little hook developing on that storm north of NYC as well. Doubtful anything drops down but imagine Chicago and NYC suburbs getting hit back to back days. Tornadoes have been loving populated areas recently :mellow:

Probably all they did was extend a fiberglass rod and flip a circuit break/surge protector. 

I was told by journey man they try either automated or manually when the power goes out and if that doesn’t work then they send a crew out. An hour seems a little brief they probably flipped the breaker. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably all they did was extend a fiberglass rod and flip a circuit break/surge protector. 

I was told by journey man they try either automated or manually when the power goes out and if that doesn’t work then they send a crew out. An hour seems a little brief they probably flipped the breaker. 

Yeah, it’s about the length of time it takes for an on-call electric company employee (probably two, a witness) to visit a power station and activate everything to normal levels. They live very locally.  If you are on-call and know thunderstorms are coming in, you’re ready for some excitement.

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I think it’s more of a factor that the best forcing/lift is way northwest. The storms rapidly weaken as they move east b/c they outrun the better upper support. 

I think the south wind/marine taint stuff gets too much credit when talking about decaying thunderstorms here. 

Ur kidding right? - I think those back pain meds might be havin some fun with ya

lol.  No no dude absolutely plays a huge factor. But it also depends on other factors like time of the year because by late August the water is less a negative impact on that. We have also seen 10s of negate stability decimate thunderstorms when it comes to CAPE it’s that sensitive

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ur kidding right? - I think those back pain meds might be havin some fun with ya

lol.  No no dude absolutely plays a huge factor. But it also depends on other factors like time of the year because by late August the water is less a negative impact on that. We have also seen 10s of negate stability decimate thunderstorms when it comes to CAPE it’s that sensitive

I think it’s a huge factor right along the immediate coast but not really as far inland as one would think. 

I’ll respond in better detail as to why I think so tomorrow when (if) I can get to my computer. 

11 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I think it’s a huge factor right along the immediate coast but not really as far inland as one would think. 

I’ll respond in better detail as to why I think so tomorrow when (if) I can get to my computer. 

It’s in the soundings ...you can see the marine layer in the soundings. Yes it numerically lowers the Cape; it has to thus affect the thunderstorms. That’s  just math.

I’ve seen radar after radar after radar lose strength when crossing the streamline analysis were the interface is as far north as southern New Hampshire during the south wind contamination earlier is warm seasons. 

But in principle I agree the distance from the water certainly helps to counter the stability factoring. 

I bet you have a problem disk in your lumbar region; you should go to the doctor if it reoccurs like that. But then again he’ll just tell you to have a $50,000 surgery

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Power back.  About an hour outage.  Stowe Electric is pretty responsive.  They get after problems.

0.56” water here and 0.88” at the base of the ski area.  Good soak with the line.

Looks like about a third of an inch at home and still raining. My wife said it had been thundering.