• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    blackrdr69
    Newest Member
    blackrdr69
Severe Event March 25th 2021

Just now, JasonOH said:

That radar is far enough away for it to not be too useful. Based on BMX, the tornado likely never handed off. 

I'm guessing it will be assessed as a continuous track.

Just now, JasonOH said:

That radar is far enough away for it to not be too useful. Based on BMX, the tornado likely never handed off. 

Guess we'll see what the survey data shows. BMX did show a jump to the east between 22:39Z and 22:41Z. It doesn't really matter anyway. 

So, it's difficult to tell, but what you can see on the radar is the *orientation* of the couplet changes. In a handoff, you see two distinct mesos, one weakens, the other strengthens. Here, we have the same meso which was "oriented" "up down" and after passing the radar is now "left right". That's the same circulation. The doppler effect only shows motion towards and away from the radar. Ergo, as you translate around a radar site, the orientation of the couplet can shift as the storm motion is captured in the non-storm-relative base reflectivity with a different relative motion (given a different angle of incidence to the site). Same tornado folks. In fairness, there was one single scan that looked "confusing", so if you just looked then you could go "hm what's going on", but subsequent scans, and playing them back with the prior ones, tell us the whole story. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Trio of discrete/semi-discrete cells to watch near the AL/MS border... None of them are particularly strong attm, but perhaps one can become dominant given downstream environment.

HRRR doesn't do too much with them UH wise, but I am not sure I believe that given the environment.

Just now, MattPetrulli said:

HRRR doesn't do too much with them UH wise, but I am not sure I believe that given the environment.

Agreed. Currently working with extreme effective shear on the order of 80+ kts. Will only move into better SRH with time. 

MacLeroy (or his driver) probably should not have attempted to pass on a double yellow.  The other driver was apparently attempting a very slow left turn without signaling.  Hard to tell what he was doing exactly.  I hope everyone’s okay regardless.
That other driver was driving well under the speed limit so I don't blame MacLeroy for trying get away from him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That other driver was driving well under the speed limit so I don't blame MacLeroy for trying get away from him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Either way it's still passing on a double yellow... But not gonna argue about it, just like us driving to fire calls, doesn't make it legal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Unwarned couplet approaching Calhoun on the Huntsville radar. 

Yeah, looks impressive from multiple radar sites. Pretty surprising that it doesn't have a warning.