Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last time I looked, New England has exactly one Republican member of Congress and she's often called the most bipartisan member of the Senate.  However, Maine's highly rural 2nd district went for Trump last year (and 2016) while the state as a whole went the other way, and by a greater margin in 2020 than 4 years earlier.   It's a long way from 1936 when only Maine and Vermont voted for Alf Landon.

Wasn't Jerry his running mate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

They said to avoid caffeine and alcohol. I never finished my coffee this morning and the Bruins play tonight...I usually enjoy an IPA 

A compromise would be to avoid caffeinated alcohol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Isn't Biden supposed to have some presser today about masks?

yea, I think he'll say the same thing. But it looks like by august 1, all restrictions on business will be lifted. 

I figure indoor masks will be the last to go. Get people used to not wearing them outside first. No change on my end. I never wore it outside anyway.

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

yea, I think he'll say the same thing. But it loos like by august 1, all restrictions on business will be lifted. 

I figure indoor masks will be the last to go. Get people used to not wearing them outside first. No change on my end. I never wore it outside anyway.

Added a little clarification to one of the article quotes:

" Despite the impending updates, Dr. C. Michael Gibson, a professor at Harvard Medical School, urged people to continue to wear masks indoors. Vaccinated and non-vaccinated people are likely "very safe" to be outside without a mask, according to Gibson. "

yea, I think he'll say the same thing. But it looks like by august 1, all restrictions on business will be lifted. 

Yeah will be nice to be in Boston with no masks, that seem to be the last place I saw a majority wearing them.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Outdoor masking was always stupid. It did help to identify those that should be avoided, however. When you saw people masked up and standing in their little six foot bubbles in an outdoor space you knew right away they were wackadoodles. 

was always funny to see a masked person walking down my suburban street with no other people in sight.....

9 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Yeah will be nice to be in Boston with no masks, that seem to be the last place I saw a majority wearing them.

Yes it will.

Not sure why, but it makes me actually angry to see people outside by themselves, wearing it. I know they can do what they want and its no business of mine of they want to keep doing it until the second coming. But for some reason it triggers me. I know it shouldn't. I think maybe I feel more sorry for them than anything because they are that frightened. No body should be that afraid.

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yes it will.

Not sure why, but it makes me actually angry to see people outside by themselves, wearing it. I know they can do what they want and its no business of mine of they want to keep doing it until the second coming. But for some reason it triggers me. I know it shouldn't. I think maybe I feel more sorry for them than anything because they are that frightened. No body should be that afraid.

Not to fall into a rabbit hole, but if they were TRULY frightened, I'm betting that you probably wouldn't see them out in public on a sidewalk to begin with.  

EDIT:  Finally ditching the neck gaiter when I'm out for a jog!  I'll probably go back to using it to protect my face against the cold in the winter months.  

2 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yes it will.

I’ll believe it when I see it on the August first no restriction stuff. Does that include masks?

Like I said... color me skeptical we are wide open by august 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it on the August first no restriction stuff. Does that include masks?

Like I said... color me skeptical we are wide open by august 1

I think it happens, even here in Massachusetts. A lot of states are fully open now. Once that happens, its over. By August, everyone will have had a chance to get a vaccine that wants one. If you get sick and haven't had one, that's on them. 

Indoor masking wasn't mentioned. That will be the last thing to go, IMO, at least in Massachusetts.  

9 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I talked about this with a friend just yesterday.  He had the same visceral triggered reaction about seeing people with masks on outdoors.  In discussing it, his anger wasn't about them being afraid of COVID, it was making him angry at just how easily and accepting they were of it.  Like it literally doesn't seem to bother some people to wear a mask, they just don't care.  Like putting pants on in the morning... someone told them they have to wear pants or shorts to go outside so they said ok.  Then someone told them they need to have a shirt on, fine.  Then someone said hey wear this mask, fine whatever.  They will go about their day fine and not think twice about it.

That was what was triggering him and I think a lot of folks feel that way.  It's not about the mask, the fear or whatever.... its about just how easily accepting they are of it and it truly annoyed him that these people weren't more annoyed by wearing a mask.  They were obviously having a great time playing with their kids and everyone was laughing having a great time... and it really pissed him off :lol:.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

.... its about just how easily accepting they are of it and it truly annoyed my friend that these people weren't more annoyed by wearing a mask.  

That's part of it for me. The other issue for me is that a big part of human interaction is face to face. We get so many ques from facial expressions. A smile, a frown, etc. Its how we recognize one another as a human and interact. For the last year, people have been a faceless automatons. And some cultures use face coverings in a not so good way.

I also wouldn't be as triggered if I thought they did any good. Don't want to hash that again, but its my opinion and I'm sticking to it :)

• Like 1