Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, dendrite said:

It took me like 15hrs before showing signs of aches and fever. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

My second hurt less than my first.  Although I felt kinda crummy the next day. 

It's interesting how it affects each person differently. My hope was getting it so early was the side effects could start kicking in during the evening and I would feel like crap through the night and then slowly improve through the day tomorrow. I wonder why they said avoid caffeinated beverages...maybe the sugar just worsens any headache?  

Just for informational purposes. 
The analogy to mask wearing to be equated with going into a store barefoot isn’t a good one. Masks are mandated by the state and feds. So stores really have no choice, even if they don’t enforce it.  
However, there’s no law nor ordinance nor mandate in any state nor fed that says you can’t go in barefoot. The business may say you can’t, but there’s no law. I have a friend who is an ardent barefooter and they have  this whole society and culture that research this stuff. They have whole forums that are devoted to where they can get away with going barefoot. They take it as serious as James takes a 360 hr GFS run that shows a cape blizzard. 
(just kidding James)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Just for informational purposes. 
The analogy to mask wearing to be equated with going into a store barefoot isn’t a good one. Masks are mandated by the state and feds. So stores really have no choice, even if they don’t enforce it.  
However, there’s no law nor ordinance nor mandate in any state nor fed that says you can’t go in barefoot. The business may say you can’t, but there’s no law. I have a friend who is an ardent barefooter and they have  this whole society and culture that research this stuff. They have whole forums that are devoted to where they can get away with going barefoot. They take it as serious as James takes a 360 hr GFS run that shows a cape blizzard. 
(just kidding James)

These things are mostly driven by liability insurance and how much risk the business wants to take. People who don’t own businesses are usually ignorant to what actually drives a business to mandate a dress code, for example. The shoes thing is more about something crushing or cutting a customer’s foot, or a slip, rather than style or the feelings of other patrons. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

well that's not a bad thing. Just means the body is generating an immune response. Side effects usually last 8-12 hours (more for some). 

I’m sure it’s fine if you are worried about serious illness from COVID. Hopefully boosters won’t crush people the way that the main shots have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

These things are mostly driven by liability insurance and how much risk the business wants to take. People who don’t own businesses are usually ignorant to what actually drives a business to mandate a dress code, for example. The shoes thing is more about something crushing or cutting a customer’s foot, or a slip, rather than style or the feelings of other patrons. 

True.

I unblocked you. I was pissed at you the other night and I had one too many scotches. 
:huh:

I’m guessing you’re an engineer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I would anticipate that many businesses will continue to enforce masking, at least for people who are actively symptomatic (there will be signs posted). The business insurance side of COVID is really a Wild West right now. It's impossible to say what will actually be covered. The whistleblower thing I posted about a couple weeks ago is just one example of how COVID is being treated as a "special case" for insurance purposes and under the law. People have already tried to bring very serious civil suits alleging that employees or other patrons gave them COVID and endangered their lives. These are all working through the courts now, hard to say how they will turn out. Many people are seeing this as an opportunity to force settlements and payouts from companies as well. Similar to how MeToo was a couple years back (although that petered out in part because there was so much existing case law and precedent to cap damages).

I have literally already seen someone accuse a customer of mine of "endangering his life" because a dude at the same location was "not wearing his mask properly" (no clue what that even means). The Federal govt (EEOC) took this matter on to some extent and treated it as a valid discrimination and civil rights case, for a time. Just food for thought.

Quest Diagnostics recently lowered the price of their antibody test to $69. It was like double that last month. I know a ton of people that just took it and got back positives and never knew they even had. If I  did one and was positive and didn't have any symptoms the first time around I would think it probably safe to skip the vaccine.  I believe they are considering a positive antibody test is the equivalent of the vaccine card. 

14 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My friend doesn’t care. She’ll go barefoot anywhere. :lol:

The barefoot hikers are what get me... damn hiking several thousand of vertical feet barefoot on rugged hiking trails.  The pads of their feet must be smoked.  Either that or they now look like my dogs pads.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The barefoot hikers are what get me... damn hiking several thousand of vertical feet barefoot on rugged hiking trails.  The pads of their feet must be smoked.  Either that or they now look like my dogs pads.

Yea, I don’t get it. I can’t stand to step on a pebble. Sends me through the roof. Hot pool deck too. Awful.

My wife can walk barefoot on hot asphalt and doesn’t phase her. 

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I would anticipate that many businesses will continue to enforce masking, at least for people who are actively symptomatic (there will be signs posted). The business insurance side of COVID is really a Wild West right now. It's impossible to say what will actually be covered. The whistleblower thing I posted about a couple weeks ago is just one example of how COVID is being treated as a "special case" for insurance purposes and under the law. People have already tried to bring very serious civil suits alleging that employees or other patrons gave them COVID and endangered their lives. These are all working through the courts now, hard to say how they will turn out. Many people are seeing this as an opportunity to force settlements and payouts from companies as well. Similar to how MeToo was a couple years back (although that petered out in part because there was so much existing case law and precedent to cap damages).

I have literally already seen someone accuse a customer of mine of "endangering his life" because a dude at the same location was "not wearing his mask properly" (no clue what that even means). The Federal govt (EEOC) took this matter on to some extent and treated it as a valid discrimination and civil rights case, for a time. Just food for thought.

Yeah the insurance companies want no part of it... may not even be the company making a mask and hygiene policy, it’s coming from the underwriter. It’s the same everywhere, insurance companies are usually behind most policies and practices.

One of my best buds who skis a lot more than he is supposed to while “working” works in insurance and his job is to drive around New England checking compliance at mostly food establishments.  In the past his job was straight forward... go around, make sure kitchens are up to standards, fire suppression systems, OSHA type stuff.  This winter though, the insurance company had him checking COVID practices and following the standards set by the insurance company.  They didn’t want to be involved in any COVID litigation and we’re expecting their clients to meet certain expectations.

That insurance side seems like it would dictate company practices more than whether they want to do it or not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You guys are really making us want to get the shot with these stories of how ill you were from it. 

I felt worse from a tetanus shot. That one always sucks.  
I do feel that I have heard of more people feeling crummy lately which probably means younger people. The older people I know who got it didn’t seem as affected.  Just anecdotal.   

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What about pants?

• Haha 2