Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

If someone has decided not to get the vaccine at this point do you think scare tactics would change that? It would probably make those folks trust the process even less and discourage them further. The only things that might change the refusers minds are if their ability to travel and keep there job were being threatened and in less common cases, time.

that variant ripping through India might be enough to get some off the fence.....granted it's there and not here, but who knows what this virus has in store down the road....

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

that variant ripping through India might be enough to get some off the fence.....granted it's there and not here, but who knows what this virus has in store down the road....

The virus has ripped though the world several times over already. Most people realize now if they are under the age of 65, relatively healthy and fit, and don't have major underlying diseases the risk from COVID is very low.

For some people, the idea of getting on a lifetime treadmill of experimental shots every 6 months for a virus that is becoming less and less lethal is not a very attractive prospect.

COVID will really start to head into background noise endemic territory now. People will get the vaccine some years simply if they don't feel like getting COVID, just like with the flu vaccine.

I just hope our govt allows us to evaluate risk on our own and doesn't try to drive towards some unachievable "zero deaths" metric.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The virus has ripped though the world several times over already. Most people realize now if they are under the age of 65, relatively healthy and fit, and don't have major underlying diseases the risk from COVID is very low.

For some people, the idea of getting on a lifetime treadmill of experimental shots every 6 months for a virus that is becoming less and less lethal is not a very attractive prospect.

COVID will really start to head into background noise endemic territory now. People will get the vaccine some years simply if they don't feel like getting COVID, just like with the flu vaccine.

I just hope our govt allows us to evaluate risk on our own and doesn't try to drive towards some unachievable "zero deaths" metric.

Generally agree with you.   Life here in CT is quickly headed that way with the last remnant restrictions ending within the next few weeks...there's even talk of ending the indoor mask mandate at some point.  (which seemed impossible just a month ago)

7 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I'm skeptical we will need booster shots. We haven't had the vaccine around long enough to suggest that. I haven't seen anything that says we 100% need them. Guess well see. 

No way to know until the data shows that the antibodies are wearing off...so far we know they hold strong through 6 months which is a good sign....

7 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I'm skeptical we will need booster shots. We haven't had the vaccine around long enough to suggest that. I haven't seen anything that says we 100% need them. Guess well see. 

I think it is pretty obvious they will be offered, just like the yearly flu shot is offered. Whether you "need" it or not will hopefully be left up to personal choice.

44 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

How was Tesla able to buy billions in BTC when they get government subsidies?

Elon is above the law. Although I'm not sure there is an explicit prohibition in regards to holding reserves in Bitcoin. I think for accounting purposes they are treated as a long-lived intangible asset. Buying billions of Bitcoin, then using your fame to pump the price, then dumping for a profit is definitely frowned upon for mere mortals. I'd also like to point out the hypocrisy of a guy who claims to care about the environment holding an asset with a carbon footprint bigger than a medium sized country. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

15 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Agree.  The 6-month persistence being quoted has been prefaced by "at least", as that's the time limit for a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's an interesting addition there ...

There's been advances - apparently ... - in these 'protease inhibitors' that show promise ..  Don't quote me of course and the usual incredulity should apply - but it may be worth folks doing their own research?

As - can't recall who - posted several days ago, the Montreal Gazette broke news of that subject matter.  But,I have heard about this research in paper sniffing over at NCBI public accesss in the past so I know that the science is real.  HIV suppression, namely... etc.

It's probably a matter of time that our earlier life lessens regarding virus management in medicine becomes outmoded.  When we were knee high to thigh in size, the state of the art was: if you are sick you cannot cure a viral infection, but you can prevent via vaccine.  In basic concept... was the limitation. That may not be true for ever.

This vax shit may be a rendered a silly aspect of primitive medicine ... Although, they'll make those pills like 1200 a pop probably - heh

48 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

who knows. Why tell the public that if you're vaccinated you can remove your masks outside, but have to wear them in big crowds. Some may interpret that message as masks work better than vaccines.

Either it works or it doesnt. Why does a crowd or not matter?

Thats a rhetorical question BTW

• Like 1

Wild digression but humanity has benefited from a relative environmental quiescence over recent Millennia that has allowed them to flourish and excel; unlimited or encumbered, this allowed for leaps forward in making many advances of fragile technology and so forth ... A fragility that otherwise, resources and brain trust through the vicissitudes of generations probably would not have culminated to even seeing an era of "Moore's Law" ... but rather redirected in the daily toil against a harsher realm of constant threat.

And there's probably analog for that type of positive feed-back that is not just relevant to computer chip capacitance ( Moore's Law), but can be defined for a much broader spectrum of technology - to which advancing medicine surely fits.   ...Because despite Sumatra and Japan, and the occasional super cyclone ... or killer heat wave, or over touted Pandemic ..etc..etc... by and large the 'Earth hasn't moved' - so to speak. 

CC may change that...  But until that is the case, it has allowed our specie to rise to the prominent dominator. We've transfered proxy of pure Darwinism into our choice. We now decide, so our conceit would believe and have it.  We've re-imagined this version known as "Capital Darwinism"  ... 

Those with the strongest retirement portfolio are more attractive to the opposite sex, for example ( not absolutely ...but tendencies and cultural design..etc.). The wealthier have access to healthier intrinsic life-styles, and can afford the better medicine ...and are thus inherently better positioned to longer life expectancy ...I life during which, contrary to the BS of those that don't have any money, ... are in fact actually blessed by masturbatory existence in wealth surplus orgasmic utopia.  Nah, nah, nah-nah, nah

Anyway, ..that would be the ultimate super Bond villain, huh... the ultimate fascist move - anyone that can afford the medicine gets over the super pathogen that was invented on an island somewhere ... everyone else?  That dystopian Clansian-Crichton mash up dystopian thriller doesn't end well for.  So not only do we transform Darwinism in mans' vision, we then actually machine that process deliberately.    ...oooh, cree- ee- pee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Hard to draw a pattern on who gets sick from the vaccine. The old/young split is just about the only seemingly firm signal I've seen, although there are plenty of anecdotes refuting that rule too. I'm sure it's being studied as millions get vaccinated. Should give us some really good data going forward for mRNA vaccines on who is susceptible to serious side effects.

Mild "flu like" effects are certainly to be expected.  I was more concerned with the reports of female reproductive issues.  Extended and heavier periods etc.  Odd. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Second shot definitely has kicked my ass (not complaining though...feels kinda cool in a way). Just light chills now but definitely a fever with a slight headache and sore arm. I think biggest is how tired I feel...holy crap. Like a complete body tired. 

it's been about 18 hours so far for me and all i have is a mildly sore arm

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Is there a law against investments if you are getting subsidies?   BTC is probably keeping them afloat. 

No, but there should be no one buying risky assets that have nothing to do with growing or sustaining the business, especially when using tax payer dollars.  It would be like if the government gave me a small business loan to start up a cabinet making company and then I turned around and bought a pontoon boat with it.....huh?