Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My understanding is that the ubiquitous blue and while cotton mask doesn't stop many germs but dramatically cuts down on their exit velocity, thus allowing diffusion close to the mask-wearer rather than germs sprayed directly into the face of some poor shmuck standing 3-6 feet away.  If so, the mask is irrelevant when one is outside and away from others but could have some use outside in close quarters with others.  (Of course, my understanding may be flat out wrong.  :wacko2: )

My point was that if the vaccine is effective, and I believe it is, it won’t matter if your exposed or not, you’re immune. I don’t care if Joe six pack standing next to me has measles rash from head to toe. I’m immune.

The CDC says if your vaccinated and had a close contact, there no reason to quarantine or test. So if I’m at Fenway, I should be able to wear no mask and be just fine. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My point was that if the vaccine is effective, and I believe it is, it won’t matter if your exposed or not, you’re immune. I don’t care if Joe six pack standing next to me has measles rash from head to toe. I’m immune.

The CDC says if your vaccinated and had a close contact, there no reason to quarantine or test. So if I’m at Fenway, I should be able to wear no mask and be just fine. 

I’m not aware of the medical community treating vaccinated people like this before.  You get the vaccine and still need to avoid people? No wonder people are being hesitant. 

• Thanks 1

I started thinking about employees who don't want the vaccine but want to continue to WFH. If your employer decides that everyone must come back to the office, does the person at home get to stay home, can they get fired or could they sue if threatened with firing? Gonna get ugly I'd think.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Do circumstances still kinda matter though?  Perhaps an outdoor baseball stadium is not a good example, so let's say someone is indoors in a confined and poorly ventilated area and sitting right by a presymptomatic covid person for hours, thus getting exposed to a lot of virus.  Wouldn't there be a better chance of the virus breaking through the vaccine protection of the vaccinated individual compared to a shorter exposure or does it just not matter?

Just now, Hoosier said:

Do circumstances still kinda matter though?  Perhaps an outdoor baseball stadium is not a good example, so let's say someone is indoors in a confined and poorly ventilated area and sitting right by a presymptomatic covid person for hours, thus getting exposed to a lot of virus.  Wouldn't there be a better chance of the virus breaking through the vaccine protection of the vaccinated individual compared to a shorter exposure or does it just not matter?

If the desire is to eliminate any possibility of risk, then you can basically never take off the mask or get within six feet of people.

Humans are so bad at accurately assessing real risk. Is a .009% chance of catching COVID demonstrably different than a .0001% chance in terms of real life?

No, they are the same very, very tiny risk.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

And I might get hit by a bus on the mass pike  tomorrow morning and die a horrible fiery death. 
Do you worry about sitting next to someone who might be pre symptomatic for measles, mumps? Mumps vaccine is only 78% effective. At some point you have to rust the vaccine and move on. Otherwise hide under the bed until Christ comes back.

Again, trust the vaccine. If you don’t, what’s the point? 
Yiu can decrease the risk of dying in a car wreck by lowering the speed limit to 30 mph. 
It’s all about risk tolerance. Personally one of the reasons I got vaccinated was to help end this non sense. But I fear this will persist awhile longer.

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I started thinking about employees who don't want the vaccine but want to continue to WFH. If your employer decides that everyone must come back to the office, does the person at home get to stay home, can they get fired or could they sue if threatened with firing? Gonna get ugly I'd think.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OMG

It's already getting ugly. This is why I have to think about COVID all the time. Scenarios like this are already a nightmare and people are SO TWEAKED now and making it worse. It's very hard to even discuss this rationally with some employees now. Many of them shriek that their lives are in danger or that their basic freedoms are being taken away from them. People are nuts these days.

It's a shitshow.

You guys would be shocked by the number of job candidates I have had this year literally tell me they will die if they have to come to work. It's been at least 2 dozen. Many of them are obviously deadly serious about it. 

On the flip side, I had one recently tell me being forced to WFH made his "eyeballs hurt" because he couldn't look at fellow people and instead had to sit in his tiny apartment all day.

These are all degreed engineers and technicians with high-level security clearances. I can't imagine the craziness going on in places such as stores and restaurants.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OMG

It's already getting ugly. This is why I have to think about COVID all the time. Scenarios like this are already a nightmare and people are SO TWEAKED now and making it worse. It's very hard to even discuss this rationally with some employees now. Many of them shriek that their lives are in danger or that their basic freedoms are being taken away from them. People are nuts these days.

It's a shitshow.

People also like to shriek when asked to wear a mask or take the vaccine, liketheir lives are in danger or that their basic freedoms are being taken away, like their nuts... Sorta like their boss, who doesn't wear a mask or take a vaccine becayse he read three articles on the internet and thinks he's smarter than everyone else

• Weenie 1

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

People also like to shriek when asked to wear a mask or take the vaccine, liketheir lives are in danger or that their basic freedoms are being taken away, like their nuts... Sorta like their boss, who doesn't wear a mask or take a vaccine becayse he read three articles on the internet and thinks he's smarter than everyone else

Luckily I don't need to hire Amazon delivery boys so I don't need to worry about what they think. :) 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If you turn off the TV, it's suddenly over. I keep trying to explain that to the older crowd I know who watches cables news 24/7. If you are retired and vaxxed, just turn off the TV and COVID goes away.

Yup that’s what I’ve been saying... been over for a very long time if you don’t turn on the news.  Or read this thread.  This thread for the past 2 weeks has had me think of COVID more than the previous 2 months combined :lol:.

Go to the movies with the wife, eat out, get drinks out, etc.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

Not really, even if u did not care about covid, hopefully you followed the rules. I am sure as a sales guy you had to follow rules to enter into buildings

I don’t think anyone didn’t care about it ,especially  if they have seniors in their lives . You took the precautions for them . Other than that , and wearing a mask inside stores etc.. it’s basically been life as normal . 

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yup that’s what I’ve been saying... been over for a very long time if you don’t turn on the news.  Or read this thread.  This thread for the past 2 weeks has had me think of COVID more than the previous 2 months combined :lol:.

I live it at work everyday when my glasses fog up constantly.

I guess the point was, no more covid protocols.. tired of sitting in conference rooms with my mask on.

13 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

And I might get hit by a bus on the mass pike  tomorrow morning and die a horrible fiery death. 
Do you worry about sitting next to someone who might be pre symptomatic for measles, mumps? Mumps vaccine is only 78% effective. At some point you have to rust the vaccine and move on. Otherwise hide under the bed until Christ comes back.

Again, trust the vaccine. If you don’t, what’s the point? 
Yiu can decrease the risk of dying in a car wreck by lowering the speed limit to 30 mph. 
It’s all about risk tolerance. Personally one of the reasons I got vaccinated was to help end this non sense. But I fear this will persist awhile longer.

The measles and mumps comparisons are not applicable at this point.  We are not currently seeing thousands of cases of those per day in the US. 

My point/question had to do with risk situations for vaccinated individuals.  We hear the overall ~95% effectiveness of the mRNA vaccines, and I have no reason to doubt that, but is it fair to think that certain situations can make it more likely for a breakthrough infection to occur?  Or does every exposure (no matter the amount, duration, etc) act the same way in the body of someone who's vaccinated?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hoosier said:

The measles and mumps comparisons are not applicable at this point.  We are not currently seeing thousands of cases of those per day in the US. 

My point/question had to do with risk situations for vaccinated individuals.  We hear the overall ~95% effectiveness of the mRNA vaccines, and I have no reason to doubt that, but is it fair to think that certain situations can make it more likely for a breakthrough infection to occur?  Or does every exposure (no matter the amount, duration, etc) act the same way in the body of someone who's vaccinated?

At this point I dont really give a shit. I’ll take the risk with a 95% effective vaccine. If people want to hide and be afraid after they’re vaccinated, knock themselves out. 
We’re not going to change each other’s mind so continuing this is line is pointless. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

I guess the point was, no more covid protocols.. tired of sitting in conference rooms with my mask on.

Oh yeah, mask indoors.  I never had a problem with that in the least, pretty simple thing to go on with life IMO.  Wear a mask at work but don’t even notice it to be honest.  It’s what got my buddy from the other day so worked up... how it doesn’t piss me off in the least.  I’m not going to wear it if not required but it literally takes up zero of my thoughts during the day.

But I guess that’s the point people make... life is normal now with a mask on, lol. Don’t even notice it inside anymore. But wearing glasses must suck with that thing.

Outside of this thread, this is the only time I’ve even thought of COVID today and it’s the only reminder aside from masks that it’s going on, ha.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Oh yeah, mask indoors.  I never had a problem with that in the least, pretty simple thing to go on with life IMO.  Wear a mask at work but don’t even notice it to be honest.  It’s what got my buddy from the other day so worked up... how it doesn’t piss me off in the least.  I’m not going to wear it if not required but it literally takes up zero of my thoughts during the day.

But I guess that’s the point people make... life is normal now with a mask on, lol. Don’t even notice it inside anymore. But wearing glasses must suck with that thing.

Outside of this thread, this is the only time I’ve even thought of COVID today and it’s the only reminder aside from masks that it’s going on, ha.

Yeah but your job is more outside and active right?

Sitting in cube a stuffy office all day with a mask on is going to suck a lot more than riding ski lifts and blazing through the glades on your way to check on snowmaking operations. :) 

I get annoyed that I have to take off my mask to drink my coffee lol

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Same here. We can only put 3 in a conference room designed for 12. And we have to be masked. All my reports and myself are fully vaccinated. If the CDC says people can gather that have been fully vaccinated, work rules need to change. Me and my 4 folks should be able to sit in a conference room unencumbered. 

• Like 1

Yeah but your job is more outside and active right?
Sitting in cube a stuffy office all day with a mask on is going to suck a lot more than riding ski lifts and blazing through the glades on your way to check on snowmaking operations.  

We don’t make folks wear masks in cubes, cubes are big enough at our company. Only when someone comes to your cube or you get up.