Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

I was never much of a bar or restaurant person so nothing has really changed for me. After July last year, life has been pretty much normal for me except for the mask wearing and not traveling for work or to Canada. I don’t anyone who has not been pretty much back to normal since late last year.

You must not know people who travel overseas, attend concerts, attend sporting events, go to movie theaters, or have school-age children in many places. Or anyone who runs a business associated with these things. Otherwise, yeah it's normal aside from the masks.

• Haha 1

I think phin is the one who watches too much news.. his view is distorted of what is really happening out there. he thinks that folks are still hiding out. Life has been back to normal for months. Market is strong out there, retailers can’t fill jobs fast enough etc etc. shit we can’t fill jobs fast enough at my company.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pretty good In here tonite 

TSLA stock is an enigma to me 

I am certainly not a fan of autonomous driving , Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but the whole idea seems totally unnecessary, careless and a recipe for horrific accidents .

I’m heavily invested in ev and green energy but Musk ain’t one. Maybe it’s because I’m not a fan of his con man attributes which admittedly skews my thinking but I don’t get good long term vibes from the company. I’ll probably kick myself a decade from now knowing the market isn’t an integrity contest though. 

You must not know people who travel overseas, attend concerts, attend sporting events, go to movie theaters, or have school-age children in many places. Or anyone who runs a business associated with these things. Otherwise, yeah it's normal aside from the masks.

I did say no travel for work.. but I’m ok with that. I don’t miss it. I have school age children. Kids are back to school here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The US has done much better with the vaccines than nations with socialized medicine such as Canada.

Cursory surmise on that ... it’s a disadvantage when needing to move quickly when the whole social structure has to move in an en masse... i.e bureaucratic limitation is obviously going to be speed.

Contrasting ...free markets with a common vision ending up at a non-competitive goal ( or ~ less competitive )... rare as that may be, will be faster for being unencumbered during the entire life cycle of product evolution to delivery. 

I’m heavily invested in ev and green energy but Musk ain’t one. Maybe it’s because I’m not a fan of his con man attributes which admittedly skews my thinking but I don’t get good long term vibes from the company. I’ll probably kick myself a decade from now knowing the market isn’t an integrity contest though. 

Invest in Hydrogen and palladium

• Like 1

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

I think phin is the one who watches too much news.. his view is distorted of what is really happening out there. he thinks that folks are still hiding out. Life has been back to normal for months. Market is strong out there, retailers can’t fill jobs fast enough etc etc. shit we can’t fill jobs fast enough at my company.

I have been traveling non-stop since the pandemic started. I have probably logged more flight hours in the last 12 months than ever in my life. LOL

There are still large segments of the economy that are crippled. Large parts of the tourism industry are still in terrible shape as is the in-person entertainment industry. Ask anyone who runs a theater or sports venue how things are going. Ask any restaurant owner who can't open over 50% capacity or hire the overseas staff he needs to handle summer surges in business how it's going. Ask anyone in construction how it's going with huge increases in costs for basic materials. A drive through a beach town will reveal many restaurants and entertainment venues permanently closed. Ask any parents dealing with hybrid schooling how it's going.

I can see how a homebody who spends most Saturday nights watching Netflix and ordering DoorDash would think all is back to normal. Don't know if that is you, but it's possible.

I seldom trust any icon of our celebrity fabrication driven culture. 

The real heroes are always drubbed up out of the silent sectors of sacrifice ... and the interviewee couldn’t care less whether they’ve caught a moment of charisma. They have work to do  

Betterment of humanity and the better part of valor have nothing to do with magazine covers and 60 Minute’s biopics.  

Having said that ... whether Elon is somehow masterfully conning the entire world or not remains to be “Socratically reviewed” ... but his company is physically placing humans in orbit ... etc He is in the least proven by air apparent to be a curator of talent and tech for those achievements   

• Like 2

The "all is back to normal" crowd usually forgets the millions of invisible people who are the bottom of the ladder who are most affected by something like a closed movie theater or 50% capacity restriction at a restaurant. 

Cleaners

Caterers

Security

Suppliers

Subcontractors

Even pediatricians have had their hours cut. 

I have been traveling non-stop since the pandemic started. I have probably logged more flight hours in the last 12 months than ever in my life. LOL
There are still large segments of the economy that are crippled. Large parts of the tourism industry are still in terrible shape as is the in-person entertainment industry. Ask anyone who runs a theater or sports venue how things are going. Ask any restaurant owner who can't open over 50% capacity or hire the overseas staff he needs to handle summer surges in business how it's going. Ask anyone in construction how it's going with huge increases in costs for basic materials. A drive through a beach town will reveal many restaurants and entertainment venues permanently closed. Ask any parents dealing with hybrid schooling how it's going.
I can see how a homebody who spends most Saturday nights watching Netflix and ordering DoorDash would think all is back to normal. Don't know if that is you, but it's possible.

Me and my wife enjoy our quiet Saturday nights watching TV, usually after spending all day outdoors. We usually do Grubhub instead.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The "all is back to normal" crowd usually forgets the millions of invisible people who are the bottom of the ladder who are most affected by something like a closed movie theater or 50% capacity restriction at a restaurant. 

Cleaners

Caterers

Security

Suppliers

Subcontractors

Even pediatricians have had their hours cut. 

You mean the same people that skeeve you out at the bars in Berlin?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I seldom trust any icon of our celebrity fabrication driven culture. 

The real heroes are always drubbed up out of the silent sectors of sacrifice ... and the interviewee couldn’t care less whether they’ve caught a moment of charisma. They have work to do  

Betterment of humanity and the better part of valor have nothing to do with magazine covers and 60 Minute’s biopics.  

Having said that ... whether Elon is somehow masterfully conning the entire world or not remains to be “Socratically reviewed” ... but his company is physically placing humans in orbit ... etc He is in the least proven by air apparent to be a curator of talent and tech for those achievements   

Yeah, the hate on him seems mostly directed at his personality. I mean, the guy does literally have cars on the road and rockets flying people into space. He's doing real things. There are far worse charlatans out there who peddle nothing but vaporware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pretty good In here tonite 

TSLA stock is an enigma to me 

I am certainly not a fan of autonomous driving , Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but the whole idea seems totally unnecessary, careless and a recipe for horrific accidents .

Honestly, I didn't get it until I rode in one. Seeing how well it drove itself made my brain explode. And the entertainment center in the middle is amazing. The acceleration? Disturbing. 

27 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, the hate on him seems mostly directed at his personality. I mean, the guy does literally have cars on the road and rockets flying people into space. He's doing real things. There are far worse charlatans out there who peddle nothing but vaporware.

Example, Trevor Milton, former NKLA ceo

58 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

America right now: we have a border emergency, no more illegals! 

Meanwhile, 7m jobs going unfilled in largely unskilled trades... That no American wants to work in. 

Doh. 

• Haha 1

Well AWT last year, Govt to announce no need for masks outside and outside recreation is fine. The theater of taking hoops off basketball courts and having cops at playgrounds is finally over. There was so much over reaching Govt for an indoor spread virus it is scary. Masks indoors in crowded spaces fine.  Hope a very expensive lesson was learned. We tried to tell um.
More cases and deaths were caused by closing outdoor recreation

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I’m curious about a typically Saturday night in Randolph,NH.....

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

13043784-CC1B-498C-A1E7-B40E93332460.jpeg

Interestingly Randolph by voting records is pretty blue..67.1-30 Biden-Trump in 2020.    186 to 83.   Kevin wants to move to Jackson NH in the winter..  Better think twice..your neighbors would be pretty liberal...567 Biden to 212 Trump.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Interestingly Randolph by voting records is pretty blue..67.1-30 Biden-Trump in 2020.    186 to 83.   Kevin wants to move to Jackson NH in the winter..  Better think twice..your neighbors would be pretty liberal...567 Biden to 212 Trump.

Randolph has a pretty sizable population of "older ladies with long gray hair who wear sandals 24/7 and walk their huskies several times a day all year long no matter the weather."

NNE is chock full of 'em, I've noticed. Definitely not Trump's base...

Politics is not a hot topic in NNH from what I have seen. Too distant from all the silliness in DC for them to really care. That's why I enjoy it so much.