Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter 2021

George BM

33 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hahaha!!  I was just thinking the same thing!  Now when you start using anniversaries of your 39th, you know you're getting along there!! :lol:  Or when the number of times you've turned 29 is now legally of age to drink!

I moved here from a place where the drinking age is 18.  The first time I held a freshly-minted 21-year-old's head over the toilet my thoughts ran along the lines that my previous run-ins with the aftermath of the First Official Drunk were with college freshmen, not with college seniors.  I found it a bit bizarre, in all honesty.

BTW, @NorthArlington101, besides this date being the anniversaries of our respective world debuts, in 1839 "O.K" made its first appearance in print and the world has never been the same since.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol I'm not that old. @H2O however... 

Watch it there.  Not yet.  I ain't old.....yet.  I got two months.  Then you can say you can't hang around someone who is that old.  :P

18 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Water is older than dirt??  Never knew that! :D

She has no concept of whats old.  I bet she thinks MTV never played videos.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

Watch it there.  Not yet.  I ain't old.....yet.  I got two months.  Then you can say you can't hang around someone who is that old.  :P

She has no concept of whats old.  I bet she thinks MTV never played videos.  

Not true! I remember when videos was all they played. so ha! :P 

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

You Are Old GIFs | Tenor

LOL if I am 140, then how old are you? 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mappy said:

Sweet!!! What else do you guys eat? Our usual menu is: Lamb, tabbouleh, kibbeh, spanakopita, dolmades, and more olives, hummus and feta then I can eat. 

19 hours ago, Dendrimer77 said:

Usually for Easter, it's lamb, tabbouleh, sfeehas, dolmades, hummus, baba ganoush, fattoush, and lebanese rice.  If we're lucky she'll also make kanafeh (cheese dessert).  She makes her own pita bread as well.  It is unbelievable.  Enjoy!

These both sound fantastic. There's nothing like traditional ethnic foods for big holidays!

This year, I'm planning to make my mom's gołąbki (go-WAWMP-kee) for the first time ever, as well as my grandmother's cheese babka. Might go ahead and find some fresh kielbasa to go with it, but will only do that if we end up having some friends over. I'm incredibly excited about gołąbki, as my mom is the only person in the family who still makes it from scratch, and I've been dying to get my hands dirty making it for years!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

These both sound fantastic. There's nothing like traditional ethnic foods for big holidays!

This year, I'm planning to make my mom's gołąbki (go-WAWMP-kee) for the first time ever, as well as my grandmother's cheese babka. Might go ahead and find some fresh kielbasa to go with it, but will only do that if we end up having some friends over. I'm incredibly excited about gołąbki, as my mom is the only person in the family who still makes it from scratch, and I've been dying to get my hands dirty making it for years!

Good morning, Mattie g. If you could, please post a picture of your cheese babka. It was a favorite of ours. I must admit I haven’t had it since I’ve been alone. As always .....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I wish we could get the "drool" emoji added to fly-out post reaction button...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Easter is my favorite holiday because of the foods. For as long as I can remember, my mom's side of the family makes a Lebanese feast for Easter. Was very bummed when we couldn't get together for it last year. GET IN MY BELLY. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Officially 21. Time for me to start taking your guys’ beer recommendations. Does that make it eight years since I started posting in this forum? That’s scary.

Happy Birthday!!! Ah 21... I turned 21 while on Spring Break out in Colorado. Went out with my brother and went skiing at Copper Mountain and Keystone. We went to the bar and he bought me a drink. Good times. :D And Happy Birthday to all those March folks here. We are a tough bunch, March can be crappy and nice from day to day and we roll with it. 

So just got back from my vaccine jab at the Health Dept. Was quite surreal parking for the clinic and seeing the line for testing. Went in and it was a smooth process. Honestly had to hold back tears of joy when that needle went in my arm. And I am a needlephobe, but for a person who for over a year has kept out of almost everywhere expect for being outside I was so happy! I truly felt a sense of relief wash across me. I came home and broke down with joy showing Mr. J my vaccine card. I get to start contributing to the family again real soon. Now downing the water and am going to work out as it says it will help lessen arm soreness. 

• Like 6

Just now, Mrs.J said:

Happy Birthday!!! Ah 21... I turned 21 while on Spring Break out in Colorado. Went out with my brother and went skiing at Copper Mountain and Keystone. We went to the bar and he bought me a drink. Good times. :D And Happy Birthday to all those March folks here. We are a tough bunch, March can be crappy and nice from day to day and we roll with it. 

So just got back from my vaccine jab at the Health Dept. Was quite surreal parking for the clinic and seeing the line for testing. Went in and it was a smooth process. Honestly had to hold back tears of joy when that needle went in my arm. And I am a needlephobe, but for a person who for over a year has kept out of almost everywhere expect for being outside I was so happy! I truly felt a sense of relief wash across me. I came home and broke down with joy showing Mr. J my vaccine card. I get to start contributing to the family again real soon. Now downing the water and am going to work out as it says it will help lessen arm soreness. 

yay!!!  Hope you don't have any side effects!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Woke up and immediately tried to schedule a vax appointment for a friend of my in-laws who is Phase 2A, not computer savvy, and very nervous about contracting COVID.  Seems like several  of the websites haven't been updated quite yet to reflect that MD is in Phase 2A as of now.  Also, the mass vax sites now require pre-registration.  In the end, I BSed a bit to say she was still Phase 1 and got her an appointment at a CVS.  

Just throwing this out there to anyone here who might be interested: there is a vaccine site in Danville, VA that is actively asking people to drive down, no appointment or pre-existing conditions needed. Basically half of UVA is there and I *might* cave and go down since it seems they really do have a surplus and are advertising it. If anyone wants the details, let me know. 

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Dang, a youngin...happy birthday.  Honestly I didnt start getting into the crazy craft beers until i was about 26-27. My go to at 21 was captain and coke. Never did like the domestic beers, still dont. What type of beer do you prefer? Or are you still trying to acquire the taste lol

Definitely still trying to acquire the taste. Have had a wide sampling of light beers but they are good for nothing but beer pong and being a last resort option. Hard cider, cocktails, mixed drinks, all much better. I'd like to eventually acquire the taste though!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Just throwing this out there to anyone here who might be interested: there is a vaccine site in Danville, VA that is actively asking people to drive down, no appointment or pre-existing conditions needed. Basically half of UVA is there and I *might* cave and go down since it seems they really do have a surplus and are advertising it. If anyone wants the details, let me know. 

Definitely still trying to acquire the taste. Have had a wide sampling of light beers but they are good for nothing but beer pong and being a last resort option. Hard cider, cocktails, mixed drinks, all much better. I'd like to eventually acquire the taste though!

I say take a drive on down! Looking back at my invite info I thought it was the Frederick Co Dept of Health, but as I am still under care at Frederick Health Hospital for Oncology that is how I got my invite. 

59 minutes ago, H2O said:

yay!!!  Hope you don't have any side effects!!

So far so good. I am drinking a lake full of water and just did my recorded work out I missed this morning due to my scheduled appt. They said the more you move and use your arm the better it will be. Am holding off on Tylenol if I can help it. Second appt is scheduled for mid April. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Hope it was a great birthday for you....despite all of the usual jokes, 21 IS one of your first important age milestones, not just to enjoy the "first legal drink" (ha, ha) but a good time to pause and look backward at the journey so far and forward to your next decade. Here's to thoroughly enjoying your 20s and squeezing the most of them.

I turned 21 in the midst of pledging a fraternity, so you can imagine there was little "self-reflection" going on for me at the time...a milestone lost in all of the surrounding drama. Granted it's something that "1987 me" likely wouldn't have done anyway (even when the party haze occasionally lifted), but which "2021 me" regrets just a bit.

One other caveat -- avoid Zima at all costs.  ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I would say start with the sours or fruit forward beers.  Theres a lot of crazy sour beers out there now, its probably the highest trending market in beer right now.  Though for me, theres nothing like a very good heavy dark flavored stout on a cold night.  I have a peanut butter brownie marshmallow beer i have to drink at some point lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Try some of the fruity/hazy NE style IPAs. Very drinkable and easy to acquire a taste for, and there are plenty around. Very popular.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Brewdog Triple Hazy IPA for HH.

Pretty good bang for the buck. 10% abv and 11 bucks for a 6 pack. Cant beat that.

eta- I bought 6 of those for 11, and one DFH 120 min IPA for 9 today lol. Both good value at the respective price points. Apples and oranges.

42 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

I wish I could still drink beer a year into this shit. It’s just shots of Tito’s for breakfast these days 

:lol:

Manhattan for me this evening.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Officially 21. Time for me to start taking your guys’ beer recommendations. Does that make it eight years since I started posting in this forum? That’s scary.

Happy birthday! :) 

Life is short, youth is shorter. Enjoy it and remember that personal knowledge and growth is worth its weight in gold. 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic