Jump to content

Cicadas 2021 - Brood X


FXW176
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah...and that rotting cicada funk you mentioned a week or so ago? Definitely becoming more pronounced in certain areas.  :stun:

yeah.  Its noticeable thanks to the heat.  Those trees with thousands of carcasses at the bottom?  equal to a dead deer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah...and that rotting cicada funk you mentioned a week or so ago? Definitely becoming more pronounced in certain areas.  :stun:

 

19 minutes ago, H2O said:

yeah.  Its noticeable thanks to the heat.  Those trees with thousands of carcasses at the bottom?  equal to a dead deer.

Yup, have been able to smell that cicada funk scent for a little while now.  I guess a lot of the ones that emerged earliest are dying off, plus all the half-eaten ones left by birds or otherwise have gotten squashed and have been lying around on the sidewalks or the street.

Anyone else hear them at night ever?  I swear the last several I've heard them well after sunset (and even toward the middle of the night).  Not as loud as during the day, but still clearly.  I've heard that they might be "active" around artificial lighting like street lights, etc.  But in general they don't do anything while dark.  There's plenty of street lights and other building lighting around here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30-35 dbz returns over my house this morning. Two days ago when I was mowing my lawn a whole bunch of them flew from the small tree that I was circling ( there were hundreds of them covering the tree trunk) and it started raining. For the past week I've been observing 3-4+ cicada/m^3 rates when they are flying in the backyard (crabapple?) tree and small front yard tree. Rates even approaching 6 cicadas/m^3 at times.

Jackpotting rules!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, George BM said:

30-35 dbz returns over my house this morning. Two days ago when I was mowing my lawn a whole bunch of them flew from the small tree that I was circling ( there were hundreds of them covering the tree trunk) and it started raining. For the past week I've been observing 3-4+ cicada/m^3 rates when they are flying in the backyard (crabapple?) tree and small front yard tree. Rates even approaching 6 cicadas/m^3 at times.

Jackpotting rules!

Make sure to clear your cicada board, and don't slant-stick!! :lol:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, George BM said:

So... about thirty minutes ago I had a cicada land near my left wrist and stick its drinking stick into that region to start drinking. I assume that this is normal cicada behavior and has happened to many of you? 

Can't say I've had them try to "drink" from my hand before, or lay eggs.

Maybe you found a vamp-cada, trying to suck your blood!  If you wake up tomorrow with an urge to yell "Phaaaaa-rooooh" all day long, that might be a concern! :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Imagine how loud it must have been hundreds of years ago before all the development. 

I have been wondering about this. Any ecologists or entomologists on the board? I think it's safe to assume that paving streets and building structures removes their habitat and reduces their numbers, but what's the ideal cicada habitat? Is it dense forest? Or do they prefer more open, meadow-tree boundary zones? I haven't had a chance to go out for a hike or anything... what are they like in the woods? They seem to do just fine in the mostly tree-covered suburbs. Do they do better with specific trees? So many cicada questions, so little time

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paleocene said:

I have been wondering about this. Any ecologists or entomologists on the board? I think it's safe to assume that paving streets and building structures removes their habitat and reduces their numbers, but what's the ideal cicada habitat? Is it dense forest? Or do they prefer more open, meadow-tree boundary zones? I haven't had a chance to go out for a hike or anything... what are they like in the woods? They seem to do just fine in the mostly tree-covered suburbs. Do they do better with specific trees? So many cicada questions, so little time

Based on the flagging near my house, they love oaks for laying eggs at least. Actually didn’t see as many on the oaks though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Based on the flagging near my house, they love oaks for laying eggs at least. Actually didn’t see as many on the oaks though.

They are definitely more numerous in certain types of trees, at least more so than others. I don’t know which they prefer though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Getting some flagging on trees in my yard. Lots on my oak and some on other trees.

our weeping cherry in the front doesn't have many shells on it, but they are all in the canopy. can hear them flying about. 

A lot emerged from our oak in the backyard. we have hostas planted around the base of the tree, that are now trampled because the dogs spent so much time cicada hunting over the last couple weeks. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...