Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,967
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WeatherQuadCore
    Newest Member
    WeatherQuadCore
    Joined

February 18-19 MAJOR Ice Storm Threat


 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Ernest T Bass said:

So far this year, freezing rain really hasn't materialized along the I40 corridor southwest of the Triad.  I'm a little skeptical because of that, but sure looks like  Statesville to Hickory to back toward the foothills and mountains might be in trouble this time.   Hoping for sleet...

I agree, @Ernest T Bass.  Nothing has materialized to any degree here in the Hickory area, despite the multiple possibilities of freezing rain.  But, this one feels different somehow...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really amazed/disappointed/surprised/irked, etc that with such overwhelming model guidance for a disruptive storm, RAH has not expanded the watch area - not having Randolph and Davidson county in there......... what in the world are they thinking?

Maybe that's why they are meteorologists and I'm just a hobbyist.

TW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I'm really amazed/disappointed/surprised/irked, etc that with such overwhelming model guidance for a disruptive storm, RAH has not expanded the watch area - not having Randolph and Davidson county in there......... what in the world are they thinking?

Maybe that's why they are meteorologists and I'm just a hobbyist.

TW

If it happens, it would likely be in the morning package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tarheelwx said:

I'm really amazed/disappointed/surprised/irked, etc that with such overwhelming model guidance for a disruptive storm, RAH has not expanded the watch area - not having Randolph and Davidson county in there......... what in the world are they thinking?

Maybe that's why they are meteorologists and I'm just a hobbyist.

TW

Sitting here in Northern Randolph wondering the same. I will say the last ice event this past weekend we just got a light glaze. No two events are alike, however Climatology says there’s generally a tight cutoff just south and east of the I-85 corridor on events like these.  I suspect that Davidson and Randolph will be placed under a warning if data holds/keeps trending over night. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

I'm really amazed/disappointed/surprised/irked, etc that with such overwhelming model guidance for a disruptive storm, RAH has not expanded the watch area - not having Randolph and Davidson county in there......... what in the world are they thinking?

Maybe that's why they are meteorologists and I'm just a hobbyist.

They’ve seemed a step behind other offices pretty often lately.  Their forecast discussions and maps don’t seem as updated as frequently.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tarheelwx said:

I agree, but it seemed the data was overwhelmingly obvious in plenty of time to get it in before the 10pm news casts.  I suspect they'll just go straight to a warning.

TW

Well it’s RAH after all, they have always played it conservative, and It has a served them well more times than not.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, yoda said:

Because of the 1-3" of snow before the ice

Well here where I live in Burke county this warning is for all ICE. Anywhere from 0.25 to 0.40 with locally higher amounts close 0.50. So I really don’t why we are under a WSW instead of a ICE storm warning. Unless all the offices just wanted simpler messaging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wxduncan said:

Well here where I live in Burke county this warning is for all ICE. Anywhere from 0.25 to 0.40 with locally higher amounts close 0.50. So I really don’t why we are under a WSW instead of a ICE storm warning. Unless all the offices just wanted simpler messaging.

Good question.  Usually a WSW is issued when there is a chance of sleet/snow or accumulations of those before the ice.  As you state in your post, your warning is just for ice, which would suggest ISW would be better.  Perhaps a met could weigh in and explain better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

Good question.  Usually a WSW is issued when there is a chance of sleet/snow or accumulations of those before the ice.  As you state in your post, your warning is just for ice, which would suggest ISW would be better.  Perhaps a met could weigh in and explain better?

NVM was reading there discussion  the day shifts of all 3 offices GSP,RAH and Blacksburg will be the ones to decide who gets Switched over to a Ice Storm Warning later today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...