Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

No.  Trust me.   I can summarize without the doom scrolling:   Models are drier.  Surface is kinda torchy (which models showed), but areas to the south reporting quick flip.   Model comes in with a 2 mile shift SE and there is wholly exaggerated dooming again.    More likely than not we come up short.

Basically a normal mid Atlantic storm.

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol thanks. It’s going to snow though so I’m not sure I understand the doom and gloom. 

Imo this isn’t a case of Ji freaking out over some day 7 solution trending 10 miles the wrong way.  In the last 24 hours we went from this...

72BF656B-20DD-477F-8719-1044406743AD.thumb.png.e7cd5b7396710d2fa01a636308be9551.png
with red tags discussing crazy fgen bands with thunder snow and 2” hr rates and possible 10” jackpots being likely to...

03AA0EB9-B0FE-44C7-B08B-72F45D71EE0A.thumb.png.5f61617fbaa42169f6af1de5b3b91d03.png

And praying we can get enough rates to accumulate and hang on to a few inches.  

Yesterday we were legitimately on the cusp of a significant area wide 6-10” snowstorm and no that wasn’t some pipe dream that people were foolish to believe was possible.  All guidance was heading that way and trending towards an amplified storm. Then it got pulled out from under us the last 24 hours.  I actually think, given how gut wrenching the trends have been the last 24 hours given we were on the verge of a truly memorable event and now it looks very anemic and ordinary...the lack of freak outs and complaining has been admirable. Even Ji hasn’t blown up the thread at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe some of us are just happy it will snow because we don’t buy the biggest snows as the ONLY outcome. And if that doesn’t materialize we declare it’s a shit storm. 

Maybe some of us get that things change that is totally out of our control and being shitty does nothing to change that. 

Maybe there are other things to enjoy with a smaller snow. Life isn’t the big dog. 

• Like 1

Final call map below 

Made significant changes based on latest trends in guidance. Hopefully they revert back a bit and screw over my map. Still a nice storm for some. The metros may never accumulate one inch due to UHI hell. Don't feel like writing a synopsis this evening. I'm tired and have a few things to do tonight. I'll check in after the 00z NAM runs and the HREF starts populating. 

1222513445_MASnowForecast2-6-21.thumb.png.d8f711e06dd3178e3cdb167c64f095af.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Maybe some of us are just happy it will snow because we don’t buy the biggest snows as the ONLY outcome. And if that doesn’t materialize we declare it’s a shit storm. 

Maybe some of us get that things change that is totally out of our control and being shitty does nothing to change that. 

Maybe there are other things to enjoy with a smaller snow. Life isn’t the big dog. 

Two things can be true. Analyzing the runs as they come in and pointing out it looks worse doesn’t stop you from enjoying snow. If I get 2” tomorrow I’ll still enjoy the snow while it’s falling the same as if I hadn’t posted analysis of a bad model run. Those are mutually exclusive. I analyze every run the same. When it’s good I say why it’s good.  I’m not like BTR thanksgiving and some others who only posts when it’s bad and says why it won’t snow. I’ll write a F’ing dissertation on how awesome a run was and how much snow we’re gonna get. But when it sucks I say why it sucks. No one complains after a good run when I explain why it was awesome...but when I pick apart a really awful model run the exact same way and explain why it could mean we won’t get much snow I sometimes get pushback. It’s the same analysis. It’s just not what people want to hear. 

• Like 1

Just now, wxtrix said:

yes. it’s from a VA hard cider company so they use their apple juice. just add your fruit garnishes. it’s not a malt liquor so it’s good. i also have their vodka mules. 

these days have driven me to artisanal canned cocktails. :guitar:

Gonna look out for it.  I'm betting that my local guy has it in his store.  He's good with this type of stuff.  And if not, he'd order it for me.

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Sorry to you and baltimorewx.  The NAM is improved.  My thoughts and prayers are with you both.  The RGEM/GFS are sure to disappoint, so all is not lost.  Stick around.  

I’m not rooting for a fail. I’m happy to see the 0z NAM juiced things up. Hopefully the rest of 0z follows. It’s less than 8 hours from game time...

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
It’s because you came back. 

I'm going to call this the cedar point storm because the Rollercoaster ride for this event has been off the chart

Been to Cedar Point a few times years ago, fun place if you've ever been there.  Grew up in northeast Ohio and it wasn't a far drive to go out to Sandusky.  Great park, and yeah, the roller coaster capitol of the world LOL!!

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Ford focus is 1 step from a freakin Yugo. My oldest has one . The tranny is garbage . Total pos car . I didnt buy it lol. No wonder Ford stopped making most of their cars lol 

Ford sedan transmissions are all shit- I could write several pages about all the issues my 2010 Fusion gave me. Eventually had the throttle body replaced under warranty a year after buying the car. It left me stranded several times, unable to accelerate (Ford Inc. finally admitted it was a failure years later and did a recall for all the cars). Every Fusion owner I know from that time period wound up with major transmission problems. My mom bought a 2013 Fiesta and still has transmission issues.

I still have the car, but Ford will never get my money again, regardless.

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

Grew up going to Cedar Point every year. It was not to far from where I grew up. Last time I was there was when we took the Miss J’s when they were younger. My parents went with us so Mr J and I could do the coasters. Let me just say I got on the Raptor and almost tossed my cookies. That was the day I knew I was done with inverted coasters. Hershey Park put the nail in my coffin when the Wild Mouse did the same. :scooter:

Yup, I hear ya!  I used to be able to do those double-loops, corkscrews, etc. and loved it.  Not anymore!!  And the crazy coasters now are even more dramatic.  All I can say is to those who can do that, more power to ya!  But I'll just sit and watch and admire, thank you!  Now, I will say, I do still like and can do the occasional "regular" or "traditional" coaster.  I did a couple at Disney World a couple of years ago (Expedition Everest and Space Mountain, but just couldn't bring myself to do the Aerosmith Rock-and-Roller!)...but sudden drops of 1000 feet or upside down?  Nahhhh, I'll pass now!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Thanks to all the Debs today for the thought provoking discussion. Stoked to wake up to “39/30”, “white rain”, “it’s raining”, “yeah, it’s snowing, but it’s not accumulating”, and all the other classics. Good night!

What time am I setting my Fitbit alarm for? I’ll wake up any hour of the day or night to take a Jebwalk during white asteroid season. B)

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Imo this isn’t a case of Ji freaking out over some day 7 solution trending 10 miles the wrong way.  In the last 24 hours we went from this...

Yesterday we were legitimately on the cusp of a significant area wide 6-10” snowstorm and no that wasn’t some pipe dream that people were foolish to believe was possible.  All guidance was heading that way and trending towards an amplified storm. Then it got pulled out from under us the last 24 hours.  I actually think, given how gut wrenching the trends have been the last 24 hours given we were on the verge of a truly memorable event and now it looks very anemic and ordinary...the lack of freak outs and complaining has been admirable. Even Ji hasn’t blown up the thread at all.  

In this case tho, the storm didnt even really exist in anyone's mind until just what, 2 days before the big hit runs? Went from zero to 100 now pulling back to 60. I understand bumming out its not a max potential outcome because potential was there. But potential for no storm or something in between is sandwiched on both sides of the big runs. The largest solution always becomes the benchmark for success with every storm here. And because the largest rarely pan out in reality, every single event becomes very "unfun" no matter what happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic