Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Not even bothering going into the storm thread. Will say when it is ripping it’s beautiful to watch. Big fluffy flakes, shame it’s not a degree or two colder. 

Go on in, CAPE just cashed in! Glad for him. That was long overdue. We in Balt are in rough shape, per usual, but CAPE's win helps me anyway. - he deserves it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

ArcGIS Online? If so, I use that all the time. 

Correct! What a phenomenal site. There was a plethora of choices to make regarding what I was looking for. Made a few decent choices to add visibility to the map and it came out pretty great. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm a novice when it comes to mapping. I can read a map really well. Making one otoh.....:lol:

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Go on in, CAPE just cashed in! Glad for him. That was long overdue. We in Balt are in rough shape, per usual, but CAPE's win helps me anyway. 

Agreed...good to hear him getting those kind of accums for a change. You guys OTOH have had a rough go of it in recent storms. Only a trace here, but expected.

6 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Go on in, CAPE just cashed in! Glad for him. That was long overdue. We in Balt are in rough shape, per usual, but CAPE's win helps me anyway. - he deserves it. 

Sweet, congrats @CAPE glad you cashed in friend. 

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Correct! What a phenomenal site. There was a plethora of choices to make regarding what I was looking for. Made a few decent choices to add visibility to the map and it came out pretty great. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm a novice when it comes to mapping. I can read a map really well. Making one otoh.....:lol:

It is! Their actual software is pretty good too. I mostly use ArcPro, and ArcMap occasionally. We use AGOL for web and field mapping, with iPads, etc. at work. 

edit: if you ever need tips, tricks, or advice, I’d be happy to give it! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

Sweet, congrats @CAPE glad you cashed in friend. 

It is! Their actual software is pretty good too. I mostly use ArcPro, and ArcMap occasionally. We use AGOL for web and field mapping, with iPads, etc. at work. 

edit: if you ever need tips, tricks, or advice, I’d be happy to give it! 

Thanks Katie! I may in the future, so I will keep you in mind. Hope you're enjoying the parachutes today :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Post-snow sadness kicking in -- got a nasty feeling Charlottesville is gonna be just too south for this active period over the next week or so. Wouldn't mind missing out on historic ice all that much though, I suppose.

I've been meaning to say this since last year but my keyboard keeps puking other things. You and @Cobalt have become pretty fantastic and welcome young posters imho. You guys are the future of this forum as myself and other long timers trend towards forum history. Keep it up. It's refreshing and I personally really appreciate it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I've been meaning to say this since last year but my keyboard keeps puking other things. You and @Cobalt have become pretty fantastic and welcome young posters imho. You guys are the future of this forum as myself and other long timers trend towards forum history. Keep it up. It's refreshing and I personally really appreciate it. 

Honestly, that means a ton, I really appreciate it.  I remember when we both totally sucked. 

That said, @Cobalt is by far and away a better aspiring meteorologist. Dunno if that's what he actually plans to study in college but he's done a much better job at absorbing a lot of the more technical stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Honestly, that means a ton, I really appreciate it.  I remember when we both totally sucked. 

That said, @Cobalt is by far and away a better aspiring meteorologist. Dunno if that's what he actually plans to study in college but he's done a much better job at absorbing a lot of the more technical stuff. 

We all suck when we get sucked in here. It's a rite of passage. I got railed solid in 05/06 and looking back at my posting style I should have gotten railed harder.

Not everybody needs to dig deep into the science to be a consistent positive contributor. Don't short change yourself. Seriously.

There are basicslly only 4 kinds of posters here imo. 1)Those that strive to learn, participate, and add value on a regular basis. 2)Those that are here for therapy at the expense of people's eyeballs on a regular basis. 3)Those that are here for fun/jokes/obs only and/or join in only when fun is happening (ie smart people). 4)And those that simply want to throw wet blankets, let air out of the room, and go out of their way to try and make others feel as miserable as themselves. That's really it. Of course there's straight up trolls but they exist everywhere. Nothing special there. 

Imo- you and cobalt are squarely #1s

• Like 4

So thought I would show you all my next project. The youngest Miss J wants to play more board and card games. So as we are finishing off our lower level decided a games table was needed. So trolled FB marketplace and picked up a cheap used table locally. Plan to do a Steampunk theme on it to go with the game theme we have. Have gotten Milk Paint and Mr. J is currently working on a gear piece template so that I can be accurate with the transfer. The example is just that as we chose different colors to go with the game room. Hope to get started on it today. 

scd-pearl-effects-mikayla-20160430-artistic-home-studio-boutiquetable-millstone-queenstown-gray-milkpaint-bronze-pearl-effects-general-finishes.jpg

table.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, Mrs.J said:

So thought I would show you all my next project. The youngest Miss J wants to play more board and card games. So as we are finishing off our lower level decided a games table was needed. So trolled FB marketplace and picked up a cheap used table locally. Plan to do a Steampunk theme on it to go with the game theme we have. Have gotten Milk Paint and Mr. J is currently working on a gear piece template so that I can be accurate with the transfer. imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cThe example is just that as we chose different colors to go with the game room. Hope to get started on it today. 

scd-pearl-effects-mikayla-20160430-artistic-home-studio-boutiquetable-millstone-queenstown-gray-milkpaint-bronze-pearl-effects-general-finishes.jpg

table.jpg

Oh man, that is nice.   Since quarantine fam has bee into classic board games and we've been playing almost nightly.   Life and especially Monopoly.    Send me that when you're done.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You're becoming an adequate poster yourself ;)

All jokes aside, I appreciate the kind words, especially from a seasoned poster such as yourself. I've mentioned this before, but being scolded for my posts back in 17-18 really made me rethink my approach to this hobby. It helped that the winter in question was also one with numerous long/medium range busts, so with all of that bundled together, I've been doing my best to let the smarter posters share their info, and to pick up as much as I can from them.

Another big aspect was learning to not get too into the digital snow aspect. Following that side alone makes this a depressing hobby. Your climo philosophy has certainly opened my eyes, and I appreciate you taking time out of this crazy year or two to pay a visit to us sick & twisted weather weenies. Posts like yours make this board worthwhile. 

Finally, to answer @NorthArlington101's question, I'm actually in the college application process right now. I'm likely not majoring in Meteorology, but it's up there with what I'm planning to do. I'd still certainly love to take courses covering those subjects, but time will tell if I want to make it the thing I predominately focus on in my college years. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I've literally hired, fired, and promoted well over 300 people in businesses that I've owned or managed the last 30 years. Just speaking from a lot of experience. You do you and I'll do me.

I prefer women to be on top anyway. It makes for a much more enjoyable workplace. 

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Did you step aside to let a woman take over because of what was between her legs or did the platitudes not apply to you personally?

Whatever dude. Enjoy the stone age. My last business has 30 remote female agents and I didnt even know what half of them looked like. But yea, all about grabbing the you know...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So thought I would show you all my next project. The youngest Miss J wants to play more board and card games. So as we are finishing off our lower level decided a games table was needed. So trolled FB marketplace and picked up a cheap used table locally. Plan to do a Steampunk theme on it to go with the game theme we have. Have gotten Milk Paint and Mr. J is currently working on a gear piece template so that I can be accurate with the transfer. imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cThe example is just that as we chose different colors to go with the game room. Hope to get started on it today. 

table.jpg

Wow. What a beautiful piece! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

You're becoming an adequate poster yourself ;)

All jokes aside, I appreciate the kind words, especially from a seasoned poster such as yourself. I've mentioned this before, but being scolded for my posts back in 17-18 really made me rethink my approach to this hobby. It helped that the winter in question was also one with numerous long/medium range busts, so with all of that bundled together, I've been doing my best to let the smarter posters share their info, and to pick up as much as I can from them.

Another big aspect was learning to not get too into the digital snow aspect. Following that side alone makes this a depressing hobby. Your climo philosophy has certainly opened my eyes, and I appreciate you taking time out of this crazy year or two to pay a visit to us sick & twisted weather weenies. Posts like yours make this board worthwhile. 

Finally, to answer @NorthArlington101's question, I'm actually in the college application process right now. I'm likely not majoring in Meteorology, but it's up there with what I'm planning to do. I'd still certainly love to take courses covering those subjects, but time will tell if I want to make it the thing I predominately focus on in my college years. 

If you are ever headed down to UVA, hit me up. I'd be happy to show you around. If you are trying to escape to somewhere snowier... that might be a good idea too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Oh man, that is nice.   Since quarantine fam has bee into classic board games and we've been playing almost nightly.   Life and especially Monopoly.    Send me that when you're done.

I have been thinking with doing custom pieces. The customer gives me the piece they want done and how and I do the art work. I did a coffee table out of an old table also a few years back. Mr. J works for a local game studio so we use what swag he gets for our theme. 

coffeetable.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Mrs.J said:

I have been thinking with doing custom pieces. The customer gives me the piece they want done and how and I do the art work. I did a coffee table out of an old table also a few years back. Mr. J works for a local game studio so we use what swag he gets. 

coffeetable.jpg

Oh man....I must not have been paying attention, I didn't know you did this type of stuff.  That's really neat.  Wish I had the talent.   When we all get back to normal, I honestly might send you a custom idea.  I'm a big ass kid and like almost anything Superman/Mario themed (don't laugh).  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I have been thinking with doing custom pieces. The customer gives me the piece they want done and how and I do the art work. I did a coffee table out of an old table also a few years back. Mr. J works for a local game studio so we use what swag he gets for our theme. 

coffeetable.jpg

Totally unrelated to your table, but I’m loving that orange wall. Just an accent wall or is the entire room that color?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Whatever dude. Enjoy the stone age. My last business has 30 remote female agents and I didnt even know what half of them looked like. But yea, all about grabbing the you know...

That’s different than what you said. I hire based on merit. You seem to be asserting you hire based on biological sex, which is not a very progressive policy. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic