Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

15 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Especially if the sleet is during the lull after the WAA anyway.  You aren’t “wasting” much precip.

Exactly. It’s typical to mix during the dry slot because the dry slot typically corresponds to the mid level warning cutting off the intense WAA lift and with less intense precip you can’t mix out the warm pockets.  That’s typical. It’s different from a solution that shows a legit flip during the heavy WAA precip or a track so far north we miss the deform on the back. 

19 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Weird you got sleet in Feb 11, 2010. I don't remember any sleet with that one. Seemed like a straight cold powder bomb, but maybe I'm not remembering right. Maybe there was a lull with sleet in the middle.

I think recency bias is part of the issue. I don't remember sleet in any of the 2009-2010 storms, and not in the 2016 storm either. I got sleet in 2003, but it was at the end and I was in College Park, which got less (and always seems to) than the surrounding area anyway.

You also tend to remember the great part of the storms and the end result more than anything that happened during it, though when you are getting sleeted on, it is agonizing waiting for the changeover. It was torture waiting for the changeover in January 2011, and then it dumped like 8 inches in three hours.

Agree. Wrt 2010 it was after the initial WAA precip during the lull before the coastal ccb blew up. Just a few sleet showers during the lull. 

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'd think a more southern outcome should make us all sweat a little bit...since psu dropped that bit about an outside chance it gets too far south and misses the transfer. @psuhoffman correct me if I interpreted that wrong.

It’s not so much south as suppressed. But the two correlate. I want an amped up STORM!!!  Heavy precip. Big totals somewhere. Death bands to analyze. Even if this amps up too much and we flip we would get a heavy WAA thump first because to displace the locked in cold would take some impressive WAA. So it wouldn’t be a non event. This is preference but I would take a more dynamic event and risk mixing over a weaker mundane event. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That’s the rgem. It uses the rgem to 48 then ggem after. It never changed when the rgem extended to 84. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic