Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So sorry to hear about that...prayers for his friend's family

Sending positive vibes his way here too. He can have a persona on this board, but deep down he's just like all of us. Hope he gets some time to himself and doesn't feel pressured to be active here or on his FB. Also to correct myself I accidentally reacted with the wrong emoji to the message.. just saw and freaked out and corrected it, just in case anyone got the wrong impression and even if nobody saw it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

NAM is also cold at the surface and 925.  850 is another story, but it is all sleet, no rain like the GfS or even Euro.

This is an important point. 925 and below is frosty, and IMO the weenie takeaway is that GFS thermals still look weird against other guidance. 

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So now hang on...we gonna have a model camp we're concerned about a late transfer on one end, and suppression/missed transfer on the other? Lol Fun times

There's no shortage of threats to the happiness of a true weenie. In all seriousness, we've seen more runs with late transfers than suppression issues. I know the drum of trend on Euro is being beaten, and it's definitely a drum worth playing, but I still see more late transfers modeled than suppressed solutions. 

Just now, JakkelWx said:

Obviously I will trust the euro and less so the GFS until 12z tomorrow or a little later. Dint know how we got sucked into analyzing the 72 hrs NAM .

NAM is good for analysis of how the pieces may be evolving. There are good things with this. Not to be taken verbatim but more to see how the pieces are coming together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ephesians2 said:

The NAM took away virtually all of my snow :unsure: Euro shows 6-12" for SW and parts of central VA while ... practically nothing on the NAM. 

Which run? I don’t believe the new one has quite finished yet... so don’t freak out yet. Still some time anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

Am I missing something?  I was under the impression that the NAM was a disaster and then I go look at it and I'm like...huh?

I think it looks better for the WAA front end going by the discussion here (though sleet later in the DC area)...but it's the uncertainty of the coastal that looks slower to get going through its run.  I think it was faster on the transfer the previous cycle or two, for what it's worth.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Looks great for us on the front, with the usually caveat of the NAM being too juicy.  Questionable low position at 84, but the 500 low is on track.  

That was going to end very well imo. The h5 was just about to pass under us and you can see hints of the precip breaking out in response. DC was going to get more snow after that run ended. It’s depressing looking because the run ended right before the ccb exploded.  That upper low and surface position there remind me of the lull in the Feb 11 2010 storm when everyone was freaking out then the upper level low caught up and boom. 

More amplified also means a nicer front end thump and I’m not that worried about temps it’s truly cold to start. The high res models are picking up on that.  I doubt the gfs mid to upper 30s nonsense. Might mix with sleet but so what.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic