• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

One thing I am noticing with this system is after the WAA snows ahead of the main low, seems like the deformation band falls apart pretty quickly. I know this initial push was looking to be the bigger show of the two but seems like there will not be much after that. Regardless ir looks to be a hard hit really fast. Hoping the intense rates can help with dynamic cooling here and keep me snow longer before rain snow line pushes north. Hi res definitely suggesting that. Globals not as much. 

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

One thing I am noticing with this system is after the WAA snows ahead of the main low, seems like the deformation band falls apart pretty quickly. I know this initial push was looking to be the bigger show of the two but seems like there will not be much after that. Regardless ir looks to be a hard hit really fast. Hoping the intense rates can help with dynamic cooling here and keep me snow longer before rain snow line pushes north. Hi res definitely suggesting that. Globals not as much. 

Was never supposed to be anything but that 

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Could definitely see some some whiteout like conditions if you got those mixing down with 1-2 in/hr rates. 

Fo sho.  It would be low vis/near whiteout even with more modest winds if those 2"+ per hour rates materialize near the leading edge.

• Like 4

It's going to be a nail biter over here Saturday afternoon.  The NAMs have warmed a bit more, which now puts Cedar Rapids on the southern edge with a bit of mix at the start.  The HRRR, on the other hand, is colder and changes the precip to snow before reaching Iowa City.  I'm hoping it works out like the storm in late December when I received 8.5 inches, with 5.4" in three hours early in the event.  That storm also had borderline thermals.  Models were wobbling on the fence.  It was unclear if Cedar Rapids would get 8" or 3".  However, there was a clear model winner (HRRR) and a clear loser (NAMs).  The NAMs insisted the warm air aloft would push sleet up through eastern Iowa.  The HRRR insisted the snow would hold strong down to Cedar Rapids, at least.  The HRRR was absolutely correct.

First few hours of the HRRR are in range.  This would clearly be much better for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City and also Peoria.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fo sho.  It would be low vis/near whiteout even with more modest winds if those 2"+ per hour rates materialize near the leading edge.

I haven’t seen it mentioned, and I’m not as savvy as the rest here, but is the b-word in the cards for this setup with these winds?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btcs31 said:

I haven’t seen it mentioned, and I’m not as savvy as the rest here, but is the b-word in the cards for this setup with these winds?

I don't think so.  As mentioned, the NAM is on the stronger side with winds.  If it's too high, the actual outcome could be more like some 30-35 mph gusts.  I suppose there could be a relatively brief period where it gets close with the winds and visibility, but close doesn't count and it needs to be at least 3 hours of frequent gusts 35+ mph / <1/4 mile visibility.

19 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It's going to be a nail biter over here Saturday afternoon.  The NAMs have warmed a bit more, which now puts Cedar Rapids on the southern edge with a bit of mix at the start.  The HRRR, on the other hand, is colder and changes the precip to snow before reaching Iowa City.  I'm hoping it works out like the storm in late December when I received 8.5 inches, with 5.4" in three hours early in the event.  That storm also had borderline thermals.  Models were wobbling on the fence.  It was unclear if Cedar Rapids would get 8" or 3".  However, there was a clear model winner (HRRR) and a clear loser (NAMs).  The NAMs insisted the warm air aloft would push sleet up through eastern Iowa.  The HRRR insisted the snow would hold strong down to Cedar Rapids, at least.  The HRRR was absolutely correct.

First few hours of the HRRR are in range.  This would clearly be much better for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City and also Peoria.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

I'm definitely worried about that warm nose here. Shouldn't be much of an issue for you. Precip is going to be intense esp on leading edge so banking on that wet bulbing temps near freezing and keeping snow around for a bit before the low gets closer and warmer air inevitably pushes north. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Have to say have worries on this one as well for snow totals. Clear issues for Northern OH/IN with warmth at the surface & all that moisture flow starts slowly bleeding out into that coastal storm. Much more confidence in the storm off the coast than this one for the weekend living up to expectations

Not to mention some of the op solutions I've seen (looking at you, NAM) are just outright laughable for NE IN...like, way beyond climatology and approaching, or in some cases shattering, all-time snow records. 

Never say never, I suppose, but ensembles showing a swath of 5-7" is far more realistic for this area than anything over 10". I don't regret not issuing a snow map today. But hey, if this thing ends up overachieving, I'm here for it all the same!

• Like 1

We didn't verify blizzard conditions on Nov 25-26 2018 storm with much higher winds than this one has progged even taking the top end guidance (the NAMs). We'll probably work it into our messaging the potential for brief whiteout conditions out in open rural areas given the rates and wind, but don't think this will reach blizzard warning criteria.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We didn't verify blizzard conditions on Nov 25-26 2018 storm with much higher winds than this one has progged even taking the top end guidance (the NAMs). We'll probably work it into our messaging the potential for brief whiteout conditions out in open rural areas given the rates and wind, but don't think this will reach blizzard warning criteria.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What about the presence of existing higher ratio snowfall complicating things? That may even blow more than the falling snow, at least until it gets BURIED.

• Like 1