Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

15 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I agree. I think it's a good floor though in case thermals actualize very poor and dendrite quality is sub par. I want to believe over 12" is achievable but bottom line is our climo does not support it historically and this event does not appear exceptional.

So here's a little Chicago snowstorm climo.

Officially, there have been 49 storms of 10"+ since records began. 

If you narrow it down to 12"+ storms, there have been 26 of those.

If you narrow it down to 14"+ storms, there have been 12 of those.

So historically... when Chicago has had a 10" storm, a little over 50% of those have actually reached 12" (26 out of 49).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So here's a little Chicago snowstorm climo.

Officially, there have been 49 storms of 10"+ since records began. 

If you narrow it down to 12"+ storms, there have been 26 of those.

If you narrow it down to 14"+ storms, there have been 12 of those.

So historically... when Chicago has had a 10" storm, a little over 50% of those have actually reached 12" (26 out of 49).

Here comes lucky thirteen

• Haha 1

Re. our (LOT) snow map, spoke to dayshift forecaster and he toned it down slightly for this issuance because it was a big increase from the midnight shift. Internally, WPC went bigger than the WFOs did. The forecaster (KJB) is one our best with winter weather and he wanted to trend instead of jump with today's issuance. I'm good with that approach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I can post the 18z Euro WeatherBell WeenieVision Kuchera map in Banter.

Edit: In seriousness, I do see the possibility of higher ratios something along the lines of what the WxBell map shows for the whole area in a much narrower swath. You don't get that kind of support for heavy rates and big QPF in a short amount of time without having fgen driven mesoscale banding where everything aligns perfectly. In that swath could see ratios let's say in 12-14:1 range. I don't want to make definitive statements until I see everything in depth tonight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Just out of curiosity how do you get the red tag? Do you have to be a practicing meteorologist? I have a Bachelor's in Atmospheric Sciences from WIU. Just was curious how that worked. Sorry to get off topic. 

You can get one. Be prepared for childish insults if you say something Stebo or certain others don't agree with. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I can post the 18z Euro WeatherBell WeenieVision Kuchera map in Banter.

Edit: In seriousness, I do see the possibility of higher ratios something along the lines of what the WxBell map shows for the whole area in a much narrower swath. You don't get that kind of support for heavy rates and big QPF in a short amount of time without having fgen driven mesoscale banding where everything aligns perfectly. In that swath could see ratios let's say in 12-14:1 range. I don't want to make definitive statements until I see everything in depth tonight.

You don't want to post the weatherbell kuchera map on LOT twitter?  :lol:

Transient higher ratios do seem like a possibility in the heavier banding.  The event average would probably have a hard time coming in like that though in most of the snow area.

• Like 1

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Just out of curiosity how do you get the red tag? Do you have to be a practicing meteorologist? I have a Bachelor's in Atmospheric Sciences from WIU. Just was curious how that worked. Sorry to get off topic. 

I am not sure what the qualification is now, I got mine when I was already working. Inquiring with an admin would be a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Just now, McHenrySnow said:

You can get one. Be prepared for childish insults if you say something Stebo or certain others don't agree with. 

Dude, you literally post nothing of significance ever. Like I haven't seen you post any model diagnostics, other than wishcasting something does or doesn't happen.

• Weenie 2

Is it just me, having grown up in North Carolina where the potential for an inch of snow is breaking news a week in advance, or are the local news outlets in Chicago not giving this storm enough attention? 

What you see now is about average... Maybe just a bit less given the trend down prior to the last storm system.

In 10 years or so of posting here I've never been insulted by anyone. Criticism of the forecast comes with the territory; at times can it be slightly unfair? Yes. But other than that we're judged by the content we provide to help others learn and it's important to consider that as a red tagger. We don't get or deserve a pass for too many Banter type posts in a serious forecast discussion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Weenie 1