• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

The GFS is seemingly trying to rival the CRAS on its way out the door.
The last recent winter event for the CONUS that had this good agreement in the models at a longer lead time was the December 17th eastern big dog. And wouldn't you know the outlier model for that event was the operational GFS and it was dead wrong. The GFS v16 was right in line with the consensus that ended up being pretty spot on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

. Hoping the intense rates can help with dynamic cooling here and keep me snow longer before rain snow line pushes north.  

I am not sure how much todays models factor that in but back in the day they always underestimated that

I recall a storm back in April 1998ish  when  the rain/snow line stalled because of convection and the northern part of Peoria county got a surprise foot and the southern only a couple inches

• Like 2

While we've been analyzing the thermals, there is a new unfriendly trend for Iowa.  Some models are now veering the heavy precip farther east into Illinois and bypassing much of Iowa.  The UK has been consistently one of the snowiest models for central to eastern Iowa.  Tonight's run cut out a huge chunk of our precip.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I am not sure how much todays models factor that in but back in the day they always underestimated that

I recall a storm back in April 1998ish  when  the rain/snow line stalled because of convection and the northern part of Peoria county got a surprise foot and the southern only a couple inches

This is definitely one of those situations where we could see an extreme gradient across our county. Well actually that's all the time. Lol. Who am I kidding. I74 is always the cutoff for whatever reason. I'm definitely glad I live on north side of Peoria but would feel better if I was in like Dunlap, Princeville, or Chillicothe. Ha. 03z rap looked nice. Kept it snow 22z-05z roughly. But if this trends anymore north we're screwed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

Maybe April 10, 1997?