ISSUED AT 1046 AM CST FRI JAN 29 2021  

EARLY ANALYSIS FOR THE WEEKEND SYSTEM   
DEPICTS PERHAPS SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPERATURES JUST ABOVE THE   
SURFACE TIED TO A 40-50 KT 850 MB JET NOSING UP ALONG THE   
MISSISSIPPI RIVER. WILL EVALUATE FURTHER, BUT THIS MAY REQUIRE   
SOME ADJUSTMENTS IN SNOW TOTALS.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

On that note, what are your thoughts on blowing/drifting potential? It's a good point about the actual air temperatures. The moisture content of the snow and overall density will be high but maybe it can still be blown around when temps are 28-30 instead of 31-33.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On Tuesday, ORD reported blowing and drifting snow when the lake enhancement picked up. Temps were 30-31 and winds were gusting near 30MPH at the time. Looks like ratios w/ that averaged ~11:1 so I would think there may be some of that again this weekend. That evening there was a blast of wind at my place for 10-15 min that caused blowing and drifting as well. 

Let's get this show on the road! Can't remember the last time things felt so locked and loaded in the Chicago metro for days leading up to a winter event.

Sidenote: I re-read the Iowa derecho thread last night for the first time since the event and thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended!

• Like 2

My first post in this storm thread, as the FWA area has been in the models sights for a significant snow for several days and I didn't want to jinx it. Being within 36 hours of onset, I'm feeling safer now. 

With FWA sitting at 5.0" for the winter (6.3" imby), we are overdue. In fact, the last 6" snow at FWA was on 12/11/2016 (6.3".) So even with climo only giving us a six incher once every other year, we are way overdue.

I'm considering staying up all night on Saturday for a nice Jeb walk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

ILX update

warmer

ISSUED AT 1046 AM CST FRI JAN 29 2021  

EARLY ANALYSIS FOR THE WEEKEND SYSTEM   
DEPICTS PERHAPS SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPERATURES JUST ABOVE THE   
SURFACE TIED TO A 40-50 KT 850 MB JET NOSING UP ALONG THE   
MISSISSIPPI RIVER. WILL EVALUATE FURTHER, BUT THIS MAY REQUIRE   
SOME ADJUSTMENTS IN SNOW TOTALS.  

Sounds about par for the course. Holding hope dynamic cooling will help cool the column more for a heavy wet snow vs rain snow mix. I don't forsee much in the way with freezing rain with marginal temps. Maybe some sleet or graupel with convective nature of WAA precip.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Kankakee looking good on the 12z Euro.

It’s been steady. Hope it’s the king again. But all other models are decreasing snowfall for here, for various reasons. And I’m still a little leery about that much snow, in a short amount of time. I think I’d make a call of 3-6” right now, all things considered.