• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

Looks like the pattern may be open to a winter threat beyond the first couple days of March or so....bit of western ridging in that time frame. Doesn't look cold, but it's still early enough in the month that you don't need arctic hounds to produce threats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Its over.

yeah, I just wasn't feeling it last week when models said we had two good chances this week. had they worked out, we would have had a foot this week. maybe we score a good one next month, but any real pack building (not that we have much now) and retention is probably done for our area. Blame it on Phin for moving to NNE.

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, I just wasn't feeling it last week when models said we had two good chances this week. had they worked out, we would have had a foot this week. maybe we score a good one next month, but any real pack building (not that we have much now) and retention is probably done for our area. Blame it on Phin for moving to NNE.

The base will be gone in this warm up, That's the reason for my call for here, Even on a real good season we can't ride local as we have numerous water crossings and hills, May still be able to ride up in Eustis and my plan is to be up there next weekend, Going to ride here local on Sunday as i'm ice fishing tomorrow.

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Last June was super hot though. I think I brought a minor curse on NNE by moving here from a snow hellhole, but my one year penance is already nearly up!

Regular climo will return soon. I held off on buying a snowmobile this year and that helped keep us from having a 2015-2016 repeat. :) 

Last June got hot but it started cold.  Farmington co-op hit 27 on the 1st, tied for their coldest June morning since their records began in 1893.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Phin venting is great. But I agree with Jspin. Clear away the MA mindset and enjoy the 30+ inches you’ll have out there. No doubt that will be built upon. You’ve been great at acclimating to the ball busting.  Enjoy the vibe up there. 
One last thing, do you take any measurements yourself? You should go out and see what you have on the ground, or for storm totals. Curious how it compares to the COOP dude. You’re near 1400’ right and he’s a couple hundred higher?

I’m at 1550 and he is at 1750. I haven’t noticed any major differences in our totals since the start of real winter, aside from he takes better measurements and doesn’t have it thrown off by settling. In the three big synoptic events, I was right along with with him with my unscientific measurements. I think a bigger discrepancy will emerge when things start to get really marginal and that extra 200 feet might mean wet snow versus white rain. Maybe this weekend I will take a core sample and melt it to see what I have.  

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’m at 1550 and he is at 1750. I haven’t noticed any major differences in our totals since the start of real winter, aside from he takes better measurements and doesn’t have it thrown off by settling. In the three big synoptic events, I was right along with with him with my unscientific measurements. I think a bigger discrepancy will emerge when things start to get really marginal and that extra 200 feet might mean wet snow versus white rain. Maybe this weekend I will take a core sample and melt it to see what I have.  

I think snow depth will become maybe a larger discrepancy moving forward in March since your field is wide open and faces south.  I think you said he is heavily wooded.

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

he's not in NJ. i think you posted in the wrong forum by accident.

Lol no I'm aware this is the SNE forum. Just saying near 50 is above normal but not a torch in late Feb even into SNE. 

The term torch is used far too loosely. If upper 40s are a torch then what happens when it gets into the 60s during a cutter...mega torch. 

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

I think snow depth will become maybe a larger discrepancy moving forward in March since your field is wide open and faces south.  I think you said he is heavily wooded.

Definitely that aspect. I have a couple protected spots on the north side of the house to compare better to him but he really has a great location for measuring up near the ice gulch path where the land kinda dips downwards almost into a shady bowl.

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

I wonder if the late week system will work out. Models have gone back and forth between a nice hit vs. Suppressed to NC.

They haven't handled any of these SW systems well. I'll believe it when I see within 24 hours at this point. Same reason I'm not buying d10 temp anomalies.

• Like 1