Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's a repeating mantra I'm reading on this forum and it's not right really ... The system bombing does nothing up stream/ after the fact.

The "slowing" of the flow begins with whole scale meridian curvature - western ridging over N/America.  That storm can bomb it's way across the N/Atlantic it has nothing to do with what is orchestrating from the lower OV-MA NE regions after the fact.

Im not sure I understand completely what you are saying, so correct me if I’m wrong. What I got out of this was my idea that we need a storm bombing out in the Atlantic to fix the flat flow problem isn’t correct, and it is the pacific side that is the problem here. From what I am seeing on the pacific side we have 2 competing factors, there is a strong La Niña in place to help cool off the oceans, which has allowed arctic air masses to enter the country and come south without much modification via pacific air. However right now the polar vortex is too far west, the energy rotating around the polar vortex is crashing into the west coast, not allowing western ridging over North America to develop. To fix this flat flow problem that is leading to shredding of storms we need the polar vortex to be farther east. I thought things were fine at least in New England unless the polar vortex was over the North Pole, but it appears that if we want something huge we need the polar vortex to be in central or eastern Canada. I’m not going to give up just yet though, I have been reading that there might be 1 more disruption to knock the polar vortex away from Alaska, and the key will be where does it get displaced to? If it’s over the North Pole we are getting an early spring, but if we can get it over central or eastern Canada we could get an epic March.

30 minutes ago, George001 said:

Im not sure I understand completely what you are saying, so correct me if I’m wrong. What I got out of this was my idea that we need a storm bombing out in the Atlantic to fix the flat flow problem isn’t correct, and it is the pacific side that is the problem here. From what I am seeing on the pacific side we have 2 competing factors, there is a strong La Niña in place to help cool off the oceans, which has allowed arctic air masses to enter the country and come south without much modification via pacific air. However right now the polar vortex is too far west, the energy rotating around the polar vortex is crashing into the west coast, not allowing western ridging over North America to develop. To fix this flat flow problem that is leading to shredding of storms we need the polar vortex to be farther east. I thought things were fine at least in New England unless the polar vortex was over the North Pole, but it appears that if we want something huge we need the polar vortex to be in central or eastern Canada. I’m not going to give up just yet though, I have been reading that there might be 1 more disruption to knock the polar vortex away from Alaska, and the key will be where does it get displaced to? If it’s over the North Pole we are getting an early spring, but if we can get it over central or eastern Canada we could get an epic March.

bold 1 ...essentially correct  for the issues at hand

bold 2 ...La Nina does not cause the Pacific to buckle or not buckle the flow over N/A - doesn't work that way.   La Nina is a long term, oceanic -atmospheric coupled teleconnetor that correlates to pattern forms - but those forms are not instructed by it.   The patterns result from an ambrosia of different influences... It can augment patterns and or favor results, but it there is no physical circuitry between "cool off the oceans which allowed arctic air masses'  ... that's unfortunately ( don't mean to be rude here ) gibberish

bold 3/4 ... I had to give up mid way trying to parse out that dizzying site spec of atmospheric architectural requirements in order to build a cyclone - lol.   Just simplify it for now: western ridge ... trough amplifying through the lakes ... in a flow that is not anomalously fast.  Vary that some... sure... but if you stress any one of those constructs too much....Beyond that, for winter enthusiasts... obviously one would like cold air in place over New England... while also, not having heights over 580 DM across N. Florida...

• Like 1

it seems like the shredder caps the ceiling, but doesn’t stop us from getting frequent 4-8/6-12 type events. It’s extremely problematic if you want a 2ft+ blizzard though. Fortunately it looks like it isn’t going to last for the rest of winter according to the long range data, so we should have our chances at least in the early part of March before we warm up.  

edit- nevermind, while pattern is more amplified on the european guidance the polar vortex is over the North Pole so it torches us. We need changes to that, otherwise winter is over.

14 minutes ago, George001 said:

it seems like the shredder caps the ceiling, but doesn’t stop us from getting frequent 4-8/6-12 type events. It’s extremely problematic if you want a 2ft+ blizzard though. Fortunately it looks like it isn’t going to last for the rest of winter according to the long range data, so we should have our chances at least in the early part of March before we warm up.  

The N of RT 2 crowd is still waiting for our frequent 4-8” events.

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right, but the shredder is problematic for the vast majority of this subforum.

The shredder pattern is a bit like an unmanned firehose. You have to thread the needle. We just had a system jackpot Ottawa before today. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

How fast you get acclimated.  I’ve sensed some disappointment in those 100-inches lately even coming straight from Maryland.

It's the sense of what could have been and also the many, many near misses on the models. It's incredibly easy to get feet of digital snow here given the climate. Every slug of moisture seems to fizzle by the time it gets here, however. It would be nice to have one of these stretches with a couple decent SWFEs verify. Been modeled all winter.

Also, my area is beating every other spot in NH because I cashed in on the three big synoptic storms (early December, mid January, early February). Places that underperformed on those events are have a crappy winter because it's been kinda dead for long periods between those events. Like Alex, for example.

• Weenie 1