Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I know we have period specific threads but this really needs to be repinned. Have to scroll halfway down the page just to get to it 

Yea, I get rattled posting anything a few days down the road with the split period threads. I keep posting lr stuff in the mr thread. Of course this problem is a sign that A LOT of stuff is going on. A mid range thread having lots of posts day after day is NOT how we roll in the MA lol

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:27 PM, jacindc said:

I remember -4 when the Ice Winter of 1994 swung into gear. There were rolling brownouts.

Me too I was in school...people were tying towels to their shoes and wearing football cleats to walk on ice. One old man had strapped broom poles that were jagged to the sides of his legs. Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm having a hard time remembering a similar setup. The 13-15 stretch had some mini versions but sw-ne trajectory and ripping flow. I can't remember any drawn out events with blocking, no sig slp, and mostly W-E trajectory at our latitude. This could be a flag honestly because it might be uncommon unless I'm just old and forgetful. 

That said, on paper it looks very ominous and it's square in the midrange rn. My guess is the euro prob just captured top end for snowfall and % of snowfall. It's hard not to think that this will be quite impactful overhead or nearby. All snow is pretty sketchy for my yard. My gut says 50% snow is ambitious. My weenie says look tf out, apocalyptic event inbound. My weenie is really dumb though. Kind of has a mind of its own but I hear that's normal. 

It's similar in some aspects to 1994 but with more blocking on the NAO side...which could suppress the boundary a little further south.  So maybe take that and adjust what happened in PA to our area...ok yea that is a bit weenie but its also not totally out of the question, my pattern observation wasn't a joke.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It's similar in some aspects to 1994 but with more blocking on the NAO side...which could suppress the boundary a little further south.  So maybe take that and adjust what happened in PA to our area...ok yea that is a bit weenie but its also not totally out of the question, my pattern observation wasn't a joke.  

Do we have any snow maps from 94 in PA? They got blitzed pretty good

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So far this year, northern tier folks should leave all the worrying to those that normally have to worry. PSU worried himself into half his climo totals in less than 10 days. Doesnt really compute in hindsight

Honestly I was a little surprised to hear 30" so far. I'm sitting around 14.5" which in reality is right about where we both should be. Interesting winter so far and by the looks of it unless something goes horribly wrong quite a few will reach normal. Before anyone moans yes I know there have been some real screw zones...hopefully that changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

This should probably go in banter....but does anyone know if there are weenies in Europe?  I wonder if there is an EU equivalent of this site.  I wonder which country has the biggest snow weenies.  So many questions.  Is Russia their equivalent of New England?  

I’ve seen some UK weenie sites and the amount of whining and complaining they do puts us to shame.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Honestly I was a little surprised to hear 30" so far. I'm sitting around 14.5" which in reality is right about where we both should be. Interesting winter so far and by the looks of it unless something goes horribly wrong quite a few will reach normal. Before anyone moans yes I know there have been some real screw zones...hopefully that changes. 

Hopefully some of the folks who had bad luck today and last weekend will see redemption by mid February. Potential is certainly there for a sustained period of cold and snow 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Hopefully some of the folks who had bad luck today and last weekend will see redemption by mid February. Potential is certainly there for a sustained period of cold and snow 

I will be really upset if we end this epic blocking period without an Epic snowstorm in our region.   It's been -NAO all of January and likely most of FEB too.   If we just get nickel dimed and fringed, then this winter is huge disappointment.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

I will be really upset if we end this epic blocking period without an Epic snowstorm in our region.   It's been -NAO all of January and likely most of FEB too.   If we just get nickel dimed and fringed, then this winter is huge disappointment.   

It's feels like it's been weeks and weeks of "potential, 8 days away, real cold finally" ect since Christmas with nothing but a 3 day pixie dust slop job out of it. Today was ridiculous smh. Anyway.. back to the shadows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Amped said:

Yea, it's crunch time. Hemispheric pattern is exactly what we talk about ad nauseam every winter while the pattern typically sucks. It's a nina and I get that but it's also absolute prime climo for a big coastal. I'm at like 12 or 13" on the year. If we got a couple 6" storms I would hit climo. But it would not be a memorable winter at all. Better than I was thinking back in Nov. Still run of the mill blah overall tho

• Like 3