• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

typically Ninas have very dead Southern Jet and its also a very progressive flow....so when there is some kind of Southern Jet action.....its almost impossible to phase the streams which is why maybe in some Nina years...there is a southern storm that dosent hit the Mid Atlantic.

But nobody living in the Southeast would ever wish for a La nina winter

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Gets shredded is more applicable

look at the GFS h5 I posted above...the CMC looks exactly the same with the NS.  Shred factor right on top of us.  We need that whole flow to lift about 200 miles.  The ridge is still centered too far south which is forcing the confluence right on top of us instead of a bit to our north.  Nothing can amplify up the coast with that look.  That's why I keep saying the next reload of the blocking centered more towards Baffin to Greenland looks promising.  That is where we want it.  This isn't actually a model fail, from long range the blocking was always shown centered a bit far south of our ideal spot but I think (and usually rightfully) we didnt worry about a slight detail like that from long range.  But the guidance NAILED it and the -NAO ridge is a little too far south so suppression is a risk.  Hopefully the guidance nails the next period of blocking equally well because it looks PERFECT after we had one period of AO blocking centered slightly too far north and one period centered slightly too far south...maybe we finally get just right.  

• Like 1

@Ji I am just as frustrated as you...but there is a STRONG signal across all major guidance where this is headed post Jan 15 (which go back weeks was ALWAYS the target for this pattern evolution).  Once we get the TPV displaced into southeast Canada and ridging out west...I think we will have higher probability events with storms that actually amplify and have a healthy precip representation because there will be a true baroclinic boundary to work with.  ALso...look at the last few runs of the long range GFS.  Seeing NS systems digging all the way south of us like that is what we want to see at that range.  Hold the line....

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

.  ALso...look at the last few runs of the long range GFS.  Seeing NS systems digging all the way south of us like that is what we want to see at that range.  Hold the line....

The GFS has issues we know,  but many times it  is very good at identifying large-scale features many days ahead , even 15 days ahead. I would feel confident about the prospects down the road and later January

• Like 1

Just now, Ji said:

in case anyone is wondering....we are indeed wasting something we have hardly seen. We had a +2 Dec and +6 Jan so far. @CAPE hasnt seen a flake. Just an embarrasement 

Observed Daily Arctic Oscillation Index.

The PNA has been positive too. I know people will point out this or that detail that wasn’t perfect but I agree with you. If DC can have a run of -AO +PNA like this and not get any appreciable snow thats pathetic and scary. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z GEFS.  Not yet enthusiastic about the next two weeks.

A8A3AAD2-FE24-4D0D-B778-63D78AA5D104.png

It's possible we get little to zero snowfall , it has been mentioned above if a negative 4 standard deviation Arctic oscillation cannot deliver snow to the DC area then just forget about it , come back next year. Or,  after the comet hits. 

1 minute ago, frd said:

It's possible we get little to zero snowfall , it has been mentioned above if a negative 4 standard deviation Arctic oscillation cannot deliver snow to the DC area then just forget about it , come back next year. Or,  after the comet hits. 

Okay, I'll bite.... what comet are you referring to?  Color me intrigued/worried.

And, damn it, we're going to have a solid winter this season fueled by a back loaded series of storms to get us close to normal totals... I'm feeling the law of averages are in our favor as we're due!

4 minutes ago, IceCAPS said:

Okay, I'll bite.... what comet are you referring to?  Color me intrigued/worried.

And, damn it, we're going to have a solid winter this season fueled by a back loaded series of storms to get us close to normal totals... I'm feeling the law of averages are in our favor as we're due!

icemaps.gif

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic