Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

Just now, Rhino16 said:

Just curious, as someone who wants to learn...

Where did everyone get all of their knowledge from? I assume just a long time of exposure to it allows you to learn, and not skipping an opportunity to learn something new helps? Is there anything that would help immediately to learn a bit more other than listen?

Well, I got my degree (undergrad and grad) in meteorology, though not a forecaster per se.  That's where a lot of my background synoptic and other related knowledge comes from.  But beyond that, just reading in here (and other places), you learn the tendencies of how things work in this area.  There are a lot of good posters on here, even if you have to filter out some of the BS posts.  Pretty much any of the local "red tagger" mets in here have a plethora of great information and insight.  But even those who are not technically "red tags", like @psuhoffman, @showmethesnow, @Bob Chill among others are great (though showme and Bob haven't been around here in some time, unfortunately).  Really just reading a lot in this forum (and living here long enough) in a lot of ways helps.  I learned an immense amount just by doing that, honestly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Just curious, as someone who wants to learn...

Where did everyone get all of their knowledge from? I assume just a long time of exposure to it allows you to learn, and not skipping an opportunity to learn something new helps? Is there anything that would help immediately to learn a bit more other than listen?

Serious answer since H2O is a jerk face 

Reading what others have to say. I would try and follow along looking at models when they come out as others describe what’s good and bad. You pick up the lexicon quickly and over time you know what to look for on models. Ask questions during downtime between runs and you’ll get answers. Google when you need too. But just reading and absorbing helps a lot.

• Thanks 2

@stormtracker wrote 

I have a feeling that between now and Saturday night, we are going to see some wild solutions.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the Euro numbers from 2 days ago pop up.

Yeah. This. It feels like this is a powderkeg about to be lit for a good chunk of the area, and that the models are about to start spitting out some crazy solutions now that we are close in. Not saying that's what we will get, but that it is about to show some crazy stuff. Full agreement. 

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Is @psuhoffman worried about being fringed?  I can't really tell.

He's now reverse trolling us.  He's aware of the suppression so he's throwing us off the real suppression worry by saying he's knows about the suppression and we are noobs when it comes to suppression.  He's very crafty.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Is @psuhoffman worried about being fringed?  I can't really tell.

Psu is a stalwart member of the forum and I wish him the best of luck in this storm and every storm in the future but every hour I'm praying this storm gets booted 50-150 more miles south to counteract the inevitable north jog in the last 24 hours.

• Like 1

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Which reminds me, and begs the questions.  When is Ji's gig?  And is there a virtual link? 

If only he could take a couple min from his quality posting in the disco thread and let us know.  Does he play from home with double stack Marshalls or in the sanctuary?  And do they do a  full version of In A Garden Of Eden by I. Ron Butterfly?

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

He's now reverse trolling us.  He's aware of the suppression so he's throwing us off the real suppression worry by saying he's knows about the suppression and we are noobs when it comes to suppression.  He's very crafty.

Don't tell me that you are suppressing your feelings on the matter of suppression as well since all the talk of suppression really needs to be suppressed before it suppresses us all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, yoda said:

Don't tell me that you are suppressing your feelings on the matter of suppression as well since all the talk of suppression really needs to be suppressed before it suppresses us all

I only suppress my feelings for a couple things.  Snow ain't one of them.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic