Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Ha.  You already buried me.  This is a post from beyond.  But thanks for the suite upgrade...the towels are soft and the mattress is firm! 

This sounds like a breach of contract to me.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, Bob Chill said:

They still bring that up to this day. When the planets and moon did their special dance a couple months ago my son was like "you still talk to the telescope guy? This would be cool to look at", 

Oh, the younger twins are 16 now. My son is 6'4". Lol. At 6'2" I absolutely NOT used to looking up at people in the house. My older twins both graduated from MD and have moved out. Still come by all the time to eat all my food and make me fix things they broke so basically nothing has changed except where they sleep

Tried to DM you. Clean out yer darn groupie mail! :lol: 

Can't believe your youngsters are that old. I'll be 30 later this year and I still feel like a kid sometimes. My metabolism sure tells me I'm not 20 anymore...

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Tried to DM you. Clean out yer darn groupie mail! :lol: 

Can't believe your youngsters are that old. I'll be 30 later this year and I still feel like a kid sometimes. My metabolism sure tells me I'm not 20 anymore...

Haha, I hear that.  My daughter turned 17 in November and is a senior in HS this year, and I cannot believe how fast that time has gone!  I swear it doesn't seem like that long ago that she was out in a snow suit during the Dec. 2009 storm, with snow up past her waist level!  Not such a little kid anymore, hahaha!  It's just too bad that with COVID, school has been remote this entire year so far (actually going back to March last school year).  I am certainly not complaining about the remote stuff, as I totally get it...but it's just too bad this happens during one's senior year is all.  But you make the best of things!

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Haha, I hear that.  My daughter turned 17 in November and is a senior in HS this year, and I cannot believe how fast that time has gone!  I swear it doesn't seem like that long ago that she was out in a snow suit during the Dec. 2009 storm, with snow up past her waist level!  Not such a little kid anymore, hahaha!  It's just too bad that with COVID, school has been remote this entire year so far (actually going back to March last school year).  I am certainly not complaining about the remote stuff, as I totally get it...but it's just too bad this happens during one's senior year is all.  But you make the best of things!

My parents and other adults always used to say "you're growing up so fast!" when I was a kid (I feel like all kids hear this...) and I never really understood or saw it. Now being 30 and seeing kids on my parent's street and some of my cousins kids shoot up like bamboo is insane. 

Bob Chill's 6ft kids would tower over me (I'm 5'7") - WHAT IS HE FEEDING THEM?!

It's been a heck of a last year or so...lots of adjusting and "winging it" - hopefully some sense of normalcy will return later this year. 

With how rough the past 12 months or so have been...and with how much last winter sucked...that's why I really am grumbling a bit more than usual at all the hand wringing. Fluffiest snow I've gotten in a while. If it shut off right now it would of course be a disappointment...but it's gorgeous out there. I won't try to force people to see things the Bob Chill/me way - but it sucks that so many people are all down in the dumps about snow. 

• Like 1

Just now, snowfan said:

Not sure if I want to scream or laugh after reading the obs thread. Exhausting.

It's the internet...it's done a huge disservice to the hobby in a lot of regards. I love CWG but having a group like that make "modelology" semi accessible for the general public has probably also made things worse. Now everyone wants to be an armchair met and it mixes with all of us weenies on here for a nice little fondue of hand wringing weenies and arm chair mets. 

We always had the "sad" folks in the obs threads - but it's definitely worse it seems now. 

It is what it is I suppose. I'll enjoy my snow. 

I know my yard better than anyone. I can safely say I will probably get 2-3” from the WAA, then MAYBE 1-2” after that. So 3-5”. That’s my forecast for those in SE Harford County SE of 95 who happen to be at sea level. I’m upset about it but this is how it is. I’ve dealt with it all of my life and it’s time to accept that. Thank you for reading. 

Just now, wxtrix said:

you’re dealing with a crowd which has included someone who told us he was closing all his blinds and curtains as a major snowstorm was beginning because he was upset that the storm’s beginning meant the end of the storm was coming and he couldn’t bear to watch.

Meteorology Therapists should be a thing

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Mine is turning 17 in March. I still remember the first event in Dec 2009, when we got about three inches early in the month, and I have a film of my daughter and her friend catching snowflakes on their tongues. And then after the second storm in February, digging out a snowfort so that all three of us (my wife, not my daughter's friend) could fit comfortably inside. (If I"d kept digging, I'm sure we could have fit a yeti in there as well.) It all seems like yesterday. 

/wistful

It's a shame COVID had to compromise your daughter's senior HS year so far but hopefully she'll be able to experience some of it after March. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

My parents and other adults always used to say "you're growing up so fast!" when I was a kid (I feel like all kids hear this...) and I never really understood or saw it. Now being 30 and seeing kids on my parent's street and some of my cousins kids shoot up like bamboo is insane. 

Bob Chill's 6ft kids would tower over me (I'm 5'7") - WHAT IS HE FEEDING THEM?!

It's been a heck of a last year or so...lots of adjusting and "winging it" - hopefully some sense of normalcy will return later this year. 

With how rough the past 12 months or so have been...and with how much last winter sucked...that's why I really am grumbling a bit more than usual at all the hand wringing. Fluffiest snow I've gotten in a while. If it shut off right now it would of course be a disappointment...but it's gorgeous out there. I won't try to force people to see things the Bob Chill/me way - but it sucks that so many people are all down in the dumps about snow. 

Haha!  @Bob Chill's kids would tower over me as well!  My daughter is not even quite 5 feet tall and very slight (no real tall genes in our families, LOL!).  Which is fine.  She actually used to do ballet, for several years (Washington School of Ballet, associated with the Washington Ballet).  But other obligations with school and other interests and such (plus an ankle injury at the time) kind of ended the ballet stuff a couple of years ago.  She still got a hell of a lot out of it, and it was actually a lot of fun for her to participate in the company's Nutcracker a few times.  A lot of work, but still fun!

Last 12 months have been quite rough for sure, for everyone.  But I try to be optimistic about how things will go and that we'll get out of this at some point not too overly long from now.  The snow today is certainly like a balm!  Especially compared to last year.  I enjoy photography, sort of a hobby of mine...it's been awhile since I could get some nice snow-related photos around here!

• Like 1

Just now, wxtrix said:

just regular therapists will do. the snow weirdness is just a symptom.

joy is at best ephemeral and unfortunately too fleeting in our current context. i don’t understand not making the most of it when it appears.

I think there needs to be a bigger understanding that there's a big difference between "disappointment in an underperforming storm" and hand wringing over models while the storm is actually happening that you forget to step outside and actually experience the snow. 

Similar to the people that go to a concert and spend the entire thing pointing their phone trying to get the best angle for their Snapchat or FB story. 

I used to do that with 4th of July fireworks - when I finally decided to put the darn camera down and watch - things were a lot more relaxed. Once you're taken one firework picture...you've seen them all. Unless of course you're @Ian - who somehow manages to make every new photo some beautiful masterpiece that puts everyone else's work to shame. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, T. August said:

I know my yard better than anyone. I can safely say I will probably get 2-3” from the WAA, then MAYBE 1-2” after that. So 3-5”. That’s my forecast for those in SE Harford County SE of 95 who happen to be at sea level. I’m upset about it but this is how it is. I’ve dealt with it all of my life and it’s time to accept that. Thank you for reading. 

Sounds good. Enjoy 

Funny random story....

When I switched schools in college - I managed to be home in Silver Spring during all three of the biggie storms in 2009-2010. My parent's still claim to this day that I planned my withdrawal process from my first college around the snowstorms :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Funny random story....

When I switched schools in college - I managed to be home in Silver Spring during all three of the biggie storms in 2009-2010. My parent's still claim to this day that I planned my withdrawal process from my first college around the snowstorms :lol: 

Hahaha...what timing on your part!!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic