• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Discobs 2021

Eskimo Joe

Round two has gone thru here, I am up to 0.6" for the day. This is what NWS Blacksburg put out just as the 2nd round started falling...

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service BLACKSBURG VA
959 AM EST Mon Jan 18 2021

VAZ018-019-023-WVZ043-044-507-181545-
Botetourt-Craig-Alleghany-Summers-Eastern Greenbrier-Monroe-
959 AM EST Mon Jan 18 2021

...A SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT
ALLEGHANY COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL VIRGINIA...NORTHEASTERN CRAIG COUNTY
IN SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA...NORTHWESTERN BOTETOURT COUNTY IN WEST
CENTRAL VIRGINIA...SOUTH CENTRAL GREENBRIER...NORTHEASTERN SUMMERS
AND NORTHERN MONROE COUNTIES IN SOUTHEASTERN WEST VIRGINIA AND THE
CITY OF COVINGTON...

At 957 AM EST, a snow squall was located along a line extending from
near Callaghan to Lawn to 10 miles east of Bald Knob. Movement was
east at 25 mph.

Winds in excess of 30 mph are possible with this squall.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, nj2va said:

@umdterps29 @mdhokie

LWX has 6-8” Sunday night through Wednesday afternoon for McHenry/Oakland.  :snowing:

Heck yea! This morning was pretty awesome waking up to fresh snow on the ground and then getting a couple hours of good +SN. Its not that cold either, upper 20s / low 30s. We hit up the sledding hill at waterfront greens and now I'm exhausted. Had to pull the kids on sleds back home, they were out of gas. 

Looks like we are in for another 6-8" through Wednesday. I've only ever experienced this out west where it basically snows off and on all day. Crazy to think just 20 miles east its bare.

20210118_102708.thumb.jpg.d384eb5ff87151b41f1ca3ec74e118c1.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, mdhokie said:

Heck yea! This morning was pretty awesome waking up to fresh snow on the ground and then getting a couple hours of good +SN. Its not that cold either, upper 20s / low 30s. We hit up the sledding hill at waterfront greens and now I'm exhausted. Had to pull the kids on sleds back home, they were out of gas. 

Looks like we are in for another 6-8" through Wednesday. I've only ever experienced this out west where it basically snows off and on all day. Crazy to think just 20 miles east its bare.

Great picture!  I’m pretty sure I drove by your neck of the woods this morning (took the long scenic way coming back from Lowe’s in Oakland) as I saw a few ice fishers out on one of the coves.  

Yeah, latest from LWX has 6-8” through Wednesday which would be fantastic.  I’ve gotten 9” since Friday afternoon’s snowfall....a great stretch of winter here.

12 hours ago, benjammin said:

At the 1985 second inauguration for President Reagan it was 7 degrees at noon, which necessitated having the ceremony in the Capitol Rotunda. I honestly don't know when (ever is a long time) that will happen again. 

The night before the cancellation I experienced -2 temp at 1am and 30mph winds. The old scale wind chill was like -40.  Friend up near Sugarloaf  said he was -7 with sustained 35 and like -60 old scale. The winds really let up quick after 1am but never died complete and I hit -6 which was tied in 94.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic