• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

Baroclinic Zone

Amazing to think how warm this month would have been in the Northeast & Midwest without the -NAO and the snowstorms honestly. The WPO is a pretty big warm signal for the Northeast in December when positive and a cold signal for the interior West, so seems like we are seeing pretty canonical effects of its dirty work. The US had a warm November, but the warmth in Canada this month is impressive too.

Canada-Dec-1-23-2020

• Like 1

It’s surprisingly to me that wind forecasts are so horrible (poorly predicted in this day and age) 

is it politics of forecasting where it’s so much safer to warn people by forecasting sort of the worst and then when it doesn’t happen nobody slams you ? Bc they know if you don’t and there are widespread outages there are serious consequences?

Was there a tine when it became apparent the big outages were Thankfully not happening . The Hrrr began backing off yesterday thru the day .

I know Scott was skeptical and Wiz was as well as some point . It was like weenies gone wild about winds for days in here .

Were things really just up in the air until go time ?

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s surprisingly to me that wind forecasts are so horrible (poorly predicted in this day and age) 

is it politics of forecasting where it’s so much safer to warn people by forecasting sort of the worst and then when it doesn’t happen nobody slams you ? Bc they know if you don’t and there are widespread outages there are serious consequences?

Was there a tine when it became apparent the big outages were Thankfully not happening . The Hrrr began backing off yesterday thru the day .

I know Scott was skeptical and Wiz was as well as some point . It was like weenies gone wild about winds for days in here .

Were things really just up in the air until go time ?

Same thing as models spitting out ice storms at 31.5 degrees. 

I think most of us said to toss the winds inland. The best chances were just away from the shoreline. There were some high 60-70mph gusts in CT. It was probably a little more meh than I expected, but other than Kevin I don't think many were going wild here. We always laugh at the weenie gust maps that people post here and on Twitter. I gave Wizzy a bit of a hard time, but I didn't necessarily disagree with him...he just seemed a little needlessly angry about the higher wind forecasts. It was a pretty strong LLJ with torched low levels so I was intrigued to see it play out. The BOX numbers did seem over the top though.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats? 

4.59" freehold NY...got 2.05" official here, seems on par with the area, temp dropped 15 degrees in the last two hours... highest gust here on my PWS was 53, I'm guessing that was around 3 when the big limb came crashing on the garage... fortunately not major damage

14 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Give props to @weatherwiz, he called this on the weak winds and everyone was treating him terribly calling him a little boy met and he needs to calm down. Very unfair.  

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I think most of us said to toss the winds inland. The best chances were just away from the shoreline. There were some high 60-70mph gusts in CT. It was probably a little more meh than I expected, but other than Kevin I don't think many were going wild here. We always laugh at the weenie gust maps that people post here and on Twitter. I gave Wizzy a bit of a hard time, but I didn't necessarily disagree with him...he just seemed a little needlessly angry about the higher wind forecasts. It was a pretty strong LLJ with torched low levels so I was intrigued to see it play out. The BOX numbers did seem over the top though.

It was a very tough forecast for sure. If I was coming off angry about the higher wind forecasts I apologize as that was not my intention at all. This really just goes to show how important communication is and how important it is to clearly communicate.  But I never try to come across that way and I love hearing input from everyone and discussing the science behind everything. 

For this event, I didn't think we would see widespread significant wind gusts (60-70), but there were certainly a few more than I thought as well. This was also tied into that fine line of convection which really helped with these higher end wind gusts. 

I also agree, these torched low-levels and higher sfc dews would be a pretty strong indicator for higher-end wind gusts but the lapse rates were just horrific and I recall this being a huge differentiator between widespread higher-end wind potential and more localized higher-end gusts. 

Even going through so many bufkit profiles and playing around with the mixing layer depth...it was real tough to find consistent mixing drawing down super strong winds and I thought that was a big flag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I never went wild . The 55-65 with gusts to 70 verified in SNE. Ryan, BOX etc nailed it 

BDL 62 mph 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I never went wild . The 55-65 with gusts to 70 verified in SNE. Ryan, BOX etc nailed it 

BDL 62 mph 

But there is also a difference and this is something that also needs to be communicated better within these type of events. 

How common were these gusts? Common as in;

1) Were they more on a widespread scale or more localized?

2) Were these gusts common in the sense as they occurred frequently or was it something that happened to occur once at a specific location?

This is another differentiator between the bigger events and the more mundane events. When we see the events produce we are seeing constant 60+ mph over the course of several hours...not just one gust tied into a convective band moving through. 

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This was an all-time great Grinch.  I almost always maintain a pack through these and I will be down to a couple of piles, if that.

This was impressive.  Just eviscerating up to 2”+ liquid equiv snowpack in spots.  The duration of warmth and dews is top tier everywhere.