• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Aside from the Tug, I think Binghamton just broke every “24 hour” snowfall record in the state. Those numbers are jaw dropping. The first flakes didn’t fly there until around 130pm. So 40 inches in about 17 hours.  My mind is blown. 

The 24 hour record was also broken.  It was 31.3 inches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Aside from the Tug, I think Binghamton just broke every “24 hour” snowfall record in the state. Those numbers are jaw dropping. The first flakes didn’t fly there until around 130pm. So 40 inches in about 17 hours.  My mind is blown. 

Kutchra maps underperformed there...:P...just sayin'!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well we had 65” of snow in 24 hours back in November 2014 

I’m almost embarrassed to post this but I measured 3.4 inches this morning on 0.36 LE.  A little disappointing, I would have been happy with 4, hoping for 6.  The ratio was just about 10:1 which is a little low considering the temperatures. Maybe as Matt (I think) said last night the flakes were being ripped apart which made for a denser snow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Just remember into the future....Pretty much all the models do not handle the placement of mesoscale banding features very well.  Usually, (but not all the time), placement seems 30-50 miles to the NW vs. model consensus...even at lead times of 12 hours!!!  Miller B's are complicated buggers.

You are absolutely correct.  Most models showed my location on the NW fringe of the heavy snow, so I thought we had a good chance of getting hit pretty good with the usual NW shift....but the band went just a hair too far NW and we ended up on the SE fringe of the band!  Feels like when I used to live in Parish and near Altmar and LE bands would set up JUST N or S of us! 

I can’t complain, though.  We measured 28” on the ground in the wide open driveway! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Just took my last measurement at 8am. 

I had .8” at 7pm last night and just measured another 1.25 at 8am after 13 hours.  Not accounting for compacting (which was likely minimal), we got about 2 inches on the button.

On the other side of ROC, I have about 3.5".

Kudos to Tim (I think) on his 2-5" call. I was dead right that we would never get into the heavier rates, but I underestimated the robustness of the precip shield. I thought we would be in and out of flurries for most of it, but it was more of a steady light snow for 12-16 hours.

42 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Amazing! If you have 44-45 otg you easily received over 50” with compaction no doubt in my mind. 

Final total is 2.7 inches here. Crazy you guys were seeing that in a half an hour last night. 

I'll have to try and take some additional measurements. Had to clear a spot and use a measurement tape cause yard stick was too short so might not be exact and compaction not uniform everywhere.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

On the other side of ROC, I have about 3.5".

Kudos to Tim (I think) on his 2-5" call. I was dead right that we would never get into the heavier rates, but I underestimated the robustness of the precip shield. I thought we would be in and out of flurries for most of it, but it was more of a steady light snow for 12-16 hours.

I heard him call for 4-8 for Rochester many times, with a possible 3-5 of additional lake effect (of which we got zero)  I'm not getting carried with any compliments on this one.