Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

That's a lot of moisture...

3 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

I think this has a larger chance for most of us, to over perform than under perform...based on what I think most people on this forum are expecting.

Agreed. The moisture with this system looks strong and west - to me at least. Nice slug move NE through central TN, KY, and OH...

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

That's a lot of moisture...

Agreed. The moisture with this system looks strong and west - to me at least.

Yes...see that too....but, dew points are low, and modeled pretty well.  But, the primary seems a tad stronger... One thing to watch for I believe is along the East Coast.... If we can keep the convection down a bit from what is currently modeled, then there may be a chance for more moisture to get back in land further.  Also,  Keep an eye for where the   700 and 850 lows  develop versus what various models depict.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Yes...see that too....but, dew points are low, and modeled pretty well.  But, the primary seems a tad stronger... One thing to watch for I believe is along the East Coast.... If we can keep the convection down a bit from what is currently modeled, then there may be a chance for more moisture to get back in land further.  Also,  Keep an eye for where the   700 and 850 lows  develop versus what various models depict.

700 is gonna be key. Need that mid level fun

5 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

How about the current upper air look (300mb)? Seems to be multiple areas of divergence - pretty far west as well. Also the trough axis - how quickly it goes negative?

300mb.gif?1608131493491

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

GFS

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

I do believe the global models are underestimating the lake enhancement off Ontario, in fact the NWS even mentioned it in their discussion. They didn’t give it an accumulation but did say the Niagara frontier tomorrow am would make travel aggravating...I think that meso model is on to it and I would include all of Orleans, Niagara and parts of northern Erie as well... think what It would look like at the opposite end of the lake and reverse it to this end.

10 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I do believe the global models are underestimating the lake enhancement off Ontario, in fact the NWS even mentioned it in their discussion. They didn’t give it an accumulation but did say the Niagara frontier tomorrow am would make travel aggravating...I think that meso model is on to it and I would include all of Orleans, Niagara and parts of northern Erie as well... think what It would look like at the opposite end of the lake and reverse it to this end.

12z HRDPS agrees. 

52389CDD-FEA4-430C-BCE7-91EFE2AF2FDD.png

Gfs actually moved the axis of precip nw by a good jump. 

12zimage.thumb.png.4bd050c38a47a09ca1f7201307a978cf.png6z

image.thumb.png.b9619c280dc9458f196733bc09c1ae5a.pngIt’s rare to see such a big change this close. Especially in the more bullish direction. I think we are just wish casting but I hope King is right and we see some over performances. I think Tim and Vort are right in that we should see some enhancement on south shore

• Like 1

Ok I wanna see that area of enhanced precip just stop just shy of the Thruway in NYS then I'll believe their totals for up this way otherwise I don't believe anything I'm seeing with regards to precip output and snow totals but that's just me! If it comes to a screeching halt just before the Thruway then I'll believe them so.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

Gfs actually moved the axis of precip nw by a good jump. 

12zimage.thumb.png.4bd050c38a47a09ca1f7201307a978cf.png6z

image.thumb.png.b9619c280dc9458f196733bc09c1ae5a.pngIt’s rare to see such a big change this close. Especially in the more bullish direction. I think we are just wish casting but I hope King is right and we see some over performances. I think Tim and Vort are right in that we should see some enhancement on south shore

That would place almost all of WNY in the advisory category