Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, PivotPoint said:

Good news is I think many of the models have been hinting at least some sort of backside love, albeit not very significant. Even 1” would at least make the ground white (for most). I’ve seen the 3k have it, hrrr, hrdps, and a some of the gfs runs. I dunno. Trying to find a silver lining 

image.thumb.png.ed2d886356b3c98f8ec2617bfb159db1.png

Best case scenario for those east of I-81 is a thump of a couple inches, dry slot drizzle/sleet, then a couple inches on the backside.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Best case scenario for those east of I-81 is a thump of a couple inches, dry slot drizzle/sleet, then a couple inches on the backside.

That is the post of the year right there.  It would be awesome to have that happen.  We can hope! 

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

WRT to this event, even though there is ridging up over GL, its not what I would consider an "effective" block for this area. If it were, the 50-50 low wouldn't be hauling ass up into the NA. So in this case we really needed to thread the needle- to time everything perfectly, because that low and the associated confluence (and surface HP) are on the move. We really aren't getting the necessary compressed flow/suppression, which would have inhibited height rises out in front and forced the low track further south.

We’ve had snow events work with less.  You’re 100% that the look up top isn’t the stone cold killer perfect analog look. But it’s a good enough look to make a snowstorm realistic but we would need some help.  The perfect look up top makes it where more factors can go wrong and still work. This setup we needed more to go our way.  Not enough did. Even with the 50/50 vacating had that rogue SW not dug the trough west of us we probably got a decent snow event. But a few things went wrong and it’s Dec and the block wasn’t perfect enough to offset. But I would take this look all winter and roll the dice!  Might not get a hecs but we would probably get a couple warning events with enough chances with a similar pattern imo.  

11 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I'm hugging HRRR. HRRR is best model. I'm breaking up with the Euro.

Seriously though, yummu.

c281OL3.png

WB HRRR.

Usual caveat that these maps are misleading, but for me, my totals usually are much closer to these than the "Snow depth" maps as I tend to bust high in my microclimate in Germantown.

Peep HoCo. Just as I alluded to earlier. Models keep showing this secondary jackpot JUST west of the rain/snow line where QPF jacks in that crazy meso  band. Not sure this has any chance to pan out, but it intrigues me that hi res (hrrr 12k nam) keep showing this.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We’ve had snow events work with less.  You’re 100% that the look up top isn’t the stone cold killer perfect analog look. But it’s a good enough look to make a snowstorm realistic but we would need some help.  The perfect look up top makes it where more factors can go wrong and still work. This setup we needed more to go our way.  Not enough did. Even with the 50/50 vacating had that rogue SW not dug the trough west of us we probably got a decent snow event. But a few things went wrong and it’s Dec and the block wasn’t perfect enough to offset. But I would take this look all winter and roll the dice!  Might not get a hecs but we would probably get a couple warning events with enough chances with a similar pattern imo.  

No doubt the fact that its mid Dec, warm ocean temps etc are major factors. For the lowlands esp we need a damn near perfect h5 setup, or at least some anomalous cold. This setup would likely  have a different outcome if this were a legit Arctic air mass. But yeah I would take my chances even over here with this same general setup in another month. I agree the looks we are seeing on the means are good enough to keep the MA in the game moving forward, assuming they are correct. Also seeing hints of an EPO ridge popping again. We will see how that works out.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic