Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Funny thing is the setup has screamed 20 incher for us for days. I mean the models locked onto a pattern that is just perfect our area. We may not hit 20 but we are gonna get hammered. 

Wish we still had the Heavy Snow Warning.  Multiple hazards are fun

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Funny thing is the setup has screamed 20 incher for us for days. I mean the models locked onto a pattern that is just perfect our area. We may not hit 20 but we are gonna get hammered. 

I think every model run I have seen for the last 3 days has shown 10-20”+ in my yard.  I keep waiting for the rug to get pulled but it’s been locked in since Friday morning.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Amped said:

Looks close to the 12z Euro in most places

foAI102.png

Those maps.... the difference is if you are NW of 95 a lot more of that snow is REAL on the 18z and not some clown map fantasy.  The thermal profile was 1-2 degrees colder and that makes a big difference when you are talking about these 1C warm layers at 850 during the height of the storm when a few hours one way or the other can be the difference between 5" and 10" of snow.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I think every model run I have seen for the last 3 days has shown 10-20”+ in my yard.  I keep waiting for the rug to get pulled but it’s been locked in since Friday morning.

You/Winchester/Smithburg/Hagerstown/Westminster are going to bullseye I think.  Depending on where the banding sets up, I could see a chance for very localized reports of 2 feet.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Mid December with 3 days after a snowstorm with temps low mid 30s is pretty rare around here . Most times it's like 1 day chilly day after  and then 50 again the next lol

I’ve noticed over the years that the best way to have extended snow cover in the mid Atlantic is to have a strong, persistent -EPO. Of course a -NAO also helps, but when the Pacific is on the good side then you get amazing stretches of deep winter like Feb to March 2015, and most of the winter of 2013-14. 

Otherwise, it’s usually just as you said.

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well baltimore city peeps @nw baltimore wx and @North Balti Zen...here we are again literally with line running right through our respective neighborhoods...think we crack the 5" mark for the first time since 2016? :lol:

@nw baltimore wx doesn’t live in the city and almost always does better than you. Pikesville is a much better spot than where you live.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You/Winchester/Smithburg/Hagerstown/Westminster are going to bullseye I think.  Depending on where the banding sets up, I could see a chance for very localized reports of 2 feet.

I measured 18.8” in Dec ‘09 here (which would make it the largest Dec snowfall on record for this area.)  That storm, iirc, was moving slower than this one should, and had a moisture connection from the deep tropics.  And may have been moving into a colder air mass if I’m not mistaken.  Keeping expectations in check for Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

I measured 18.8” in Dec ‘09 here (which would make it the largest Dec snowfall on record for this area.)  That storm, iirc, was moving slower than this one should, and had a moisture connection from the deep tropics.  And may have been moving into a colder air mass if I’m not mistaken.  Keeping expectations in check for Wednesday.

18" here as well from that storm.

Thinking 8-12 right now but the banding on the euro is sweet.  Definitely a wildcard wherever that sets up.  18z focused it right in our backyards but its bound to shift around....as you know. 

This is a nice panel here..

Qd0SQCQ.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wouldn't expect a HECS from this. The 2009-2010 storms all had massive moisture feeds. The models were printing out 2-2.5"+ as snow across a large area at this range. Not seeing that here. Snow maps aside, the raw liquid totals just aren't there for the widespread 20"+ totals.

Did models over estimate qpf more back then though. I know the high res models back then had horrible wet biases 

• Like 2

18z EPS has the surface low in exactly the canonical spot, ~50mi off OCMD, at 6z Thursday.  Don't overthink things.  Use the ensembles the way they're supposed to be used for, not agonizing over 5-10mi wiggles in 10:1 snow maps.  Going forward now, we can start seeing mesoscale effects like thermal profiles and banding.  

• Like 14

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic